You get what you pay for.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kevin Means said:
Shading, and the angle at which sunlight hits solar panels are are significant factors. I know several people who have the Victron controller, and they seem to do a good job of monitoring and displaying battery/charge status. Your wire gauge looks good, and I'm assuming there are no bad connections anywhere. So if your panels aren't shaded, and they're within 10 degrees of the sun, I think they're just not putting out what they're rated at putting out. Not surprising considering the type and source of the panels. Sorry

FWIW, we just finished installing six 170 watt Zamp panels on a Newmar Mountain Aire, and the system was putting out 1070 watts at about 3:00 PM, with all the panels tilted toward the sun - two slightly shaded by trees.

Kev
Was this a typo:  It appears you got 1070 watts from 6 panels which are rated at 170 each for a total of 1020watts? 

Hmmmm... good question Al. The owner read the numbers off his Victron. I think it keeps a record of such data. I'll double check with him and let you know.

Kev

(Note: I just texted the owner. His RV is in getting its annual service right now. He's supposed to get it back next Wednesday, at which time he said he'd double check the data log and let me know. I'll be sure to update you. (I'm very interested too)

Anybody have any info about Amerisolar?  I see both good and bad reviews.  Was looking at;  http://www.solardesigntool.com/components/module-panel-solar/Amerisolar/6065/AS-6M-375W/specification-data-sheet.html;jsessionid=732C9F020643EA9C589BFD087E6CA4E7

If I relocate the TV antenna I can get two of them on the roof with no shading issues.  Thoughts.....

Kathy & Bill said:
Anybody have any info about Amerisolar?  I see both good and bad reviews.  Was looking at;  http://www.solardesigntool.com/components/module-panel-solar/Amerisolar/6065/AS-6M-375W/specification-data-sheet.html;jsessionid=732C9F020643EA9C589BFD087E6CA4E7

If I relocate the TV antenna I can get two of them on the roof with no shading issues.  Thoughts.....
Here is a link to a reputable seller of solar panels and all the components for a RV for you to compare prices, etc.
https://www.solar-electric.com/residential/solar-panels.html?product_list_order=watts&product_list_dir=desc

I'm not saying the place you are looking at is not reputable, just that I know this place is. 

When you are buying these large residential panels shipping is by motor freight, not UPS, FedEx. 

One way to save quite a bit on shipping is to have the panels shipped with hold at the freight instead of delivery to a residence.  In my case it was savings of about 1/3 of the total shipping costs versus coming to the house.  You have to have a utility trailer or large vehicle to pick up the panels. 

Kathy & Bill said:

Amerisolar, like many of these so called "american" companies use commodity quality cells some china sourced, some from JinkoSolar ( one of the largest manufacturers.) performance is quite good and lifespan is at least better than 10 years to 80%

like anything, if you want the best then expect to pay for it.. ( $2/watt) for DIY the biggest issue I see is freight shipping..
for a few panels you get stung with ridiculous charges, for me I might order a palette of 40 or more Trina units and the shipping is small
in comparison per panel.

You will have no issue with these or other like branded units.  the only issue is see here is the mppt controller.. if I read correctly, you have a victron 100/50.. the panel in question has a VOC of 48 Volts, so two in series will be 96 Volts and is too close to 100 for comfort.. on a cold morning in you will have higher voltage and a broken controller.. I normally design with a 1.25 margin, so that 96 is now close to 120 Volts..
a safer margin.. you will have to parallel them to be safe..

solarman said:
Amerisolar, like many of these so called "american" companies use commodity quality cells some china sourced, some from JinkoSolar ( one of the largest manufacturers.) performance is quite good and lifespan is at least better than 10 years to 80%

like anything, if you want the best then expect to pay for it.. ( $2/watt) for DIY the biggest issue I see is freight shipping..
for a few panels you get stung with ridiculous charges, for me I might order a palette of 40 or more Trina units and the shipping is small
in comparison per panel.

You will have no issue with these or other like branded units.  the only issue is see here is the mppt controller.. if I read correctly, you have a victron 100/50.. the panel in question has a VOC of 48 Volts, so two in series will be 96 Volts and is too close to 100 for comfort.. on a cold morning in you will have higher voltage and a broken controller.. I normally design with a 1.25 margin, so that 96 is now close to 120 Volts..
Is there some reason to suggest that they wire the 2 panels in series instead of parallel?

It seems that with a Vmp of 39 volts that is high enough voltage to not need really large wire size for the run down to the controller and therefore little need for almost 80 volts to be able to use small wire size. 

Another advantage of wiring in parallel is that if there is a little shade on the front or rear panel you won't loose almost all the output of both panels.  In series just a little shade on one panel kills most all the output of both panels.

AStravelers said:
Is there some reason to suggest that they wire the 2 panels in series instead of parallel?

It seems that with a Vmp of 39 volts that is high enough voltage to not need really large wire size for the run down to the controller and therefore little need for almost 80 volts to be able to use small wire size. 

Another advantage of wiring in parallel is that if there is a little shade on the front or rear panel you won't loose almost all the output of both panels.  In series just a little shade on one panel kills most all the output of both panels.

for the very reason I stated, the 100 V controller is not capable of accepting the panels VOC voltage. If the OP had a 150 V controller then there would be reason.

solarman said:
for the very reason I stated, the 100 V controller is not capable of accepting the panels VOC voltage. If the OP had a 150 V controller then there would be reason.
I wrote my reply because you seemed to be saying they should wire them in series which would produce the 98V.  Wiring them in parallel then the Voc would only be 48V which is one half of the voltage rating of the controller.

I see now that I missed the very last part of your statement where you mention, kind of in passing, that they should wire them is parallel.  My bad.  Sorry.

Hi Al. Here?s  a screenshot from the Victron controller in the RV we just installed the six 170 watt panels. It shows the peak panel output from 6 and 7 days ago, and shows a peak output of 1054 watts. He said he?s seen 1070 watts, and he thinks even higher, but he doesn?t have the data anymore.

Of course, the panels were tilted toward the sun when these readings were taken, but I think they?re pretty impressive numbers, especially considering that the max rated output is 1020 watts. He said the new Zamp panels have some optical feature that makes them more efficient, but I haven?t looked into that.

Kev

Attachments

• F618D93D-F8B6-4978-A4EC-2D40F8CA8E6D.png
    F618D93D-F8B6-4978-A4EC-2D40F8CA8E6D.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 1693986F-8DE6-4E29-A29E-E702681FE17B.jpeg
    1693986F-8DE6-4E29-A29E-E702681FE17B.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 568C8FF3-F3C7-45AB-AE5E-552474FBA686.jpeg
    568C8FF3-F3C7-45AB-AE5E-552474FBA686.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 39
I would wonder if the shunt and Victron is properly calibrated.

Or, perhaps it's those new SolaRVector II lifts?

Tom

AM solar did the original solar install, so I would think it was calibrated properly, but who knows - I didn't check it. Ignorance is bliss.  :) We designed and built a rack assembly to eliminate a pretty serious shading problem from his raised rails and AC units, then re-mounted all six panels on SVII tilt kits.

Kev

Attachments

• AE3B4CA3-646C-44A4-96E2-3F418CBC329C.jpeg
    AE3B4CA3-646C-44A4-96E2-3F418CBC329C.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 21DC923E-9A9D-4609-9B82-2A20E3CE0DB5.jpeg
    21DC923E-9A9D-4609-9B82-2A20E3CE0DB5.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 33
Most interesting that the readings are showing more power coming from the panels than what they are rated for.

My understanding that all solar panel wattage ratings are taken in lab conditions with lamps simulating the sun; at the equator, at mid day, a perfectly clear sky and perfectly perpendicular to the simulated.  In other words conditions which are impossible to duplicate anywhere outside a laboratory.

I could be mistaken on how panels are rated.

I'm starting to think I wasn't meant to have solar.  I bought two of the Amerisolar panels and picked them up today.  Everything looked good at the freight terminal, then I got home and unboxed them.  If I didn't have bad luck I would lead a boring life...  WTH..  :'(

Good news is I called where I bought them and they were more than apologetic and are shipping me two more panels.

Attachments

• Solar damage.jpg
    Solar damage.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 30
Wow, that is some bad luck. Sorry. I'm glad to hear that the company seems to be standing behind them. At least you didn't have to learn Mandarin and call mainland China to make a warranty claim.

Kev

Two more panels shipped out today, hope the freight company handles these a little kinder this time around.  I think I'll check these two out at the terminal when I pick them up.

As for mounting these on the roof, what's the recommendation on attachment points for a 77" x 39" panel.  Been looking at different types of ready made brackets and angle stock to make my own.  Prices are all over the board depending on what you want, and of course I like the pricey one.  I will mount them solid, no tilting.  Is four points of attachment sufficient or should there be more?  There are eight holes punched in the panels frame, four along each 77" side.  Eight seems like a little overkill but then again 65.. 70 mph, eight might by a good idea.

Experience, thoughts?

Kathy & Bill said:
Two more panels shipped out today, hope the freight company handles these a little kinder this time around.  I think I'll check these two out at the terminal when I pick them up.

As for mounting these on the roof, what's the recommendation on attachment points for a 77" x 39" panel.  Been looking at different types of ready made brackets and angle stock to make my own.  Prices are all over the board depending on what you want, and of course I like the pricey one.  I will mount them solid, no tilting.  Is four points of attachment sufficient or should there be more?  There are eight holes punched in the panels frame, four along each 77" side.  Eight seems like a little overkill but then again 65.. 70 mph, eight might by a good idea.

Experience, thoughts?

I would suggest one in each corner and one middle, so six total.

Kathy & Bill said:

Experience, thoughts?

I got my mounting brackets from Discount Solar in Quartzsite.

They are fairly simple but they do have what I consider to be a great feature.  The bottom of the mount is solidly mounted to the roof.  The top part of each mount is bolted to the frame of the panel.  They are connected with a threaded rod with a knob on the end of it.  This allows you to unscrew the connector and tilt the panel, and put a support in place to tilt the panel about 45 degrees.  You can do this from either side to tilt the panels left or right.

The really nice thing about this is that you can leave them alone and never tilt them is that is what you want, However you do have the real option to tilt them if you are parked for an extended time or when it is stored at home.

This is not anywhere as nice as Kevin Mean's motorized tilts, but it is very inexpensive.

If you do not spend a small amount to put these on you may wish that you had later.

Just a suggestion.  Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• r20161116_153925.jpg
    r20161116_153925.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 29
  • r20190108_133905.jpg
    r20190108_133905.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 24
  • rtilt2.jpg
    rtilt2.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 22
  • crop.jpg
    crop.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 21
Hey, it's only money Bill.  ;) You might want to PM FrankB Bill. He flat-mounted some residential panels on his trailer a few years ago, and last I heard, they were holding up well and staying put.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Hey, it's only money Bill.  ;)

lol... this is true Kev.  I figure I'll be around $13.45 a watt or so when I finally get this project done  :eek:

Seriously though, has anyone ever calculated all costs involved and divided it by their watts?  It would be interesting to see the price range compared to different types of systems.  Forgive me.. I'm a bit of a numbers guy.

Well I got the antenna moved and the wire run, wire length was a bit long, (35 feet) I used 8 awg so hoping that helps.  Waiting on the second set of panels to arrive, should be Monday.  Have to order the mounting brackets yet and that should be the last piece of the puzzle.

Heading out to Allegheny National Forest Thursday morning for a long weekend.  Will be using the Yamaha generator as the temps will be around 90 for the weekend.  With the 600 amp hrs. of LiPo, we can run the AC off the inverter at night which keeps the DW happy.

Attachments

• Solar Charger.jpg
    Solar Charger.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Solar Roof ready.jpg
    Solar Roof ready.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom