01' Adventurer Awning not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newtorvs

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I hear a click in the control box in the exterior cabinet but nothing happens. I've replaced the fuse but no luck yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brett

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

I presume this is the patio awning. Mine drained water off the front end directly onto the power plug connector into the outside wall.  The plug was badly corroded inside & had to be replaced.  I have a power awning over the the entry door and had similar problems when the motor locked up. I was able to get it working with a lot of WD 40 & letting it soak overnight and repeat several times.

Thanks for the tip. I've had to play that game with it before but this time the motor isn't moving at all unfortunately.

Verify that it is getting power at and through the outside connector... and most have external contacts on the motor end to attach jumper wires from a 12v battery to test the motor. My locked motor was due to water intrusion followed by lack of use for an extended period.

thanks just tried that. The voltage meter lit up at both switches and at the motor so Im assuming the motor is shot.

If you think the motor is shot, no harm in taking it apart to see if you can tell what the problem is. When jacks/slides motor quit and I was where I could not get another one and was stuck with slides extended, I took it apart and found the internal ground was bad ? insulating washer had disintegrated.  Fixed the ground and re-installed the motor and it worked for about 6 months ? plenty of time to get another one ordered and in hand.  BTW ? before you order a high-dollar motor from an RV dealer, take the motor to an auto parts place and see if they can match it.  I saw this on another forum recently ? "Carefree Eclipse motor was easily replaceable, just a common power-window motor sourced on Amazon.  I forget where I found the cross-reference info, but mine was a Dorman #742-141"  (a good many of the parts sold in any auto parts store are made by Dorman)

Thanks Paul!

I ended up getting the motor off and taking it apart. I pulled all of the gears out and realigned them and the motor works great! Just put it back on the rig and the awning works like new. I also ended moving the awning fabric a few inches which helped square up the awning arms which had been pulled out of whack a bit by the tension.

Back
Top Bottom