rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Need Computer Expertise  (Read 387 times)

arcticfox2005

• ---
Need Computer Expertise
« on: June 24, 2020, 03:08:54 PM »
I have a photo editing program that I really like that was designed for Windows 95/98.

It runs fine on my old laptop running Windows 7 Professional.

However that machine is going to go away - speed test showed 14.64 & 1.79

About every new machine I can find runs Windows 10 S Mode.

The question: What is the chance it will run on that?

Bill

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
Re: Need Computer Expertise
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »
Unless your old software has some specific hardware driver along with it, then chances are you will be able to use it in Win 10 compatibility mode --

Compatibility Modes
Like Windows 7, Windows 10 does have “compatibility mode” options that trick applications into thinking they're running on older versions of Windows. Many older Windows desktop programs will run fine when using this mode, even if they wouldn't otherwise.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2014 Cadillac SRX in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 04:09:19 PM »
Why are you worrying about the speed test number?
If the computer has been fine, the test results don’t change it. Heck, I still have a Windows XP laptop that I use.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle, Tigger & Mai
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14’ V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 04:57:29 PM »
I just got a new HP laptop to use as a backup.

During the initial setup it gives you the option of using open mode rather than the restrictive "S mode".

I used laplink ultimate with a USB cable to transfer all the files and programs without any problems with them working.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:05:13 PM by HueyPilotVN »
Bill Waugh
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road
Now just another Lurker

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »
If you'd care to mention what the software package is, perhaps we could offer a more accurate assessment, but most stuff will run fine going from Win 7 Pro to Win 10, as indicated above. Of course there's always the GIMP ( https://www.gimp.org/ ), or Gnu Image Manipulation Program, a very powerful free/open source program that has much of the capability of Photo Shop, should your old one not work for you.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 05:59:54 PM »
Simply put, it will not run in S mode, though thankfully it is easy to switch off S mode, though the new computer will run slower with S mode turned off.  As long as you are not buying a low end product this should not be a big issue.

See https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-cloud-release-date-news-and-rumors
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Chakara

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »
Interesting - obviously I don't keep up anymore in the desktop space as I hadn't heard of S-Mode.   That said, from what I understand of it now you might as well just get a chromebook :)

-Chak
2018 Arctic Fox 27.5L
2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 11:57:43 AM »
Change is hard and everyone wants to make a buck these days so free stuff is hard to find and hit or miss. I've had a bunch of freeware become obsolete over the years.

I switched to FastStone image viewer 7.4 - it took a little minute to learn its features and interface but it does a ton of stuff and it's absolutely free.

The feature I use the most is "fast resize" - point and click at 640X480, save and then the image is ready to load on here.

"Marvin" - 1996 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »
Your problem may be most new computers are running the 64 bit version of Windows vs the old machines were 32 bit. Windows 10 64 bit will not run 16 bit programs even in compatibility mode. It might run in compatibility mode if you downgrade Windows 10 to 32 bit and enable NTVDM (NT virtual dos machine) in Windows Features. But 64 bit runs faster and downgrading Windows is a whole lot of work and might cause problems with newer software.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C and Starcraft popup
DW loves camping more than I do