rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Seeking Help on Selecting a New Water Pump  (Read 502 times)

Gizmo

• ---
Seeking Help on Selecting a New Water Pump
« on: June 27, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »
Background; We are full-timers who prefer to boondock, looking to have a second pump on hand in case of a failure and while doing so, get a better quality and better performing pump in place.  Our current and original water pump is a Lippert 50 PSI in the 3-GPM range and is still working, so not an immediate need to replace.  We are happy with the pressure but would certainly not complain about additional water pressure.  The two frustrations have been the water flow drop when 2-sources of water being used simultaneously, so in looking at pumps we are considering a higher flow rate and current pump tends to be quite noisy. 
Here are the two water pumps I have narrowed the choices down to:
https://tweetys.com/shurflo-high-flow-bypass-revolution-water-pump---4-0-gpm.aspx and

https://tweetys.com/remco-55aquajet-arv-fresh-water-pump-5-chamber-diaphragm-5-3-gallons-per-minute.aspx 

Our plan would be to install a better replacement and keep the Lippert as a short term back-up in the event of a failure.

My only concern is whether either of these will negatively affect the plumbing system? Appreciate thoughts and considerations.
Thanks

Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Boat Addict

• ---
Re: Seeking Help on Selecting a New Water Pump
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 02:05:18 PM »
I would try a bladder tank in your line if your current set up is working properly. I also carry a spare pump, which is worth the price for peace of mind.
If you want to know what a form of torture is, buy a new winnie TT.
2018 2401 RG Minnie  travel trailer

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 04:26:25 PM »
I would try a bladder tank in your line if your current set up is working properly. I also carry a spare pump, which is worth the price for peace of mind.

I thought of that to reduce the noise, but then I would still be left with a pump that is ok instead of a higher quality one and one with better performance.  This all started with wanting to have a second one on hand as a back-up, but then I began to think why not install a better pump and keep the current as a back-up. 

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 05:20:49 PM »
I added a 2 gallon accumulator tank under my bathroom sink a couple of years ago, it helped considerably reducing pump noise level, evening out flow and best of all given enough water to flush the toilet and wash hands without needing to turn the pump on in the middle of the night.  Cost at the time was about $60, the tank was about $40 with mounting brackets, then I just needed a T sitting  a couple of pipe nipples and a couple of braided flex hoses.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »
For what it's worth.............

Have you also explored trying to quiet down the pump you have.

install a rubber mat under the pump to minimize any vibrations though the floor. Also can you cover it with a towel to absorb the noise.

Of course you could apply the same ideas to a new pump and get the higher flow/pressure.

But I must admit I like Isaac-1 idea of a accumulator tank.
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies, but my goal is not just for quieter operation, or I would have installed a tank.  My primary reason is in reducing our current pump to a back-up for a better quality pump and one with a higher flow rate and perhaps a bit higher pressure.  The purpose of my original post was for  some advice, thoughts on the two pump links I have narrowed down to and whether they would negatively impact our plumbing system.  As our current pump is rated at 50 PSI, I doubt the 55 PSI of one of the pumps I am looking at will be a problem and I suspect the 60 PSI of the other might be fine as I seem to recall reading somewhere these plumbing systems are tested to 100 PSI, but do not recall the source or it's accuracy, so just not sure.  Hoping someone can share some light on these pumps I have indicated and the effect of 5-10 additional PSI if any.

Laura & Charles

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 04:32:59 AM »
Cannot speak from experience but have done considerable research as am wanting better performance. Based on what Iíve read, am probably going with the 55 Aquajet ARV.  Following and hoping for the feedback youíre seeking.
Living and working full-time out of a:
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43dft;
Dinghy towing a 2014 Honda CR V;
SMI Stay In Play Duo aux braking system.

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 06:09:51 AM »
50 psi is ample pressure. What determines the volume of the pressure is the flow rate which is measured by the gallons per minute. (GPM) The GPM will determine how opening a second tap will affect the first tap. I assume the flow rate problem is mostly noticed while in the shower. Increasing the GPM will reduce that 2nd tap problem but it won't eliminate it. It is the nature of the design.

Increasing the pressure will not do much for the volume problem. You could add the accumulator like Issac has done to see if that helps enough. You could install a second pump that is dedicated to the shower which would certainly solve the shower issue.

Checking all the screens and cleaning them at water taps and shower heads is also a big factor. The pump inlet screen is another to keep an eye on.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:19:51 AM by Henry J Fate »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 08:47:09 AM »
The variable-speed Remco Aquajet is sort of the gold standard for RV pumps, so probably your best bet.  It's standard equipment in many high end models.  I used one for a dozen years and was totally satisfied.

Noise complaints are subjective - people who never lived with a pump system at home typically object to any pump noise at all. Not much to help with that. Pump location can have a major effect too - in my last coach the pump was located directly below the bath area, so noise was obvious there but hardly noticeable in the kitchen.  Sometimes the pump physical installation (mounting and tubing) is just plain shoddy an transmits far more noise than necessary. There are plenty of YouTube videos on fixes for noisy pump installations.

As for an accumulator, it helps by making the pump run somewhat less often (but longer when it does), but doesn't actually quiet the pumping.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 11:25:30 AM »
The variable-speed Remco Aquajet is sort of the gold standard for RV pumps, so probably your best bet.  It's standard equipment in many high end models.  I used one for a dozen years and was totally satisfied.

Noise complaints are subjective - people who never lived with a pump system at home typically object to any pump noise at all. Not much to help with that. Pump location can have a major effect too - in my last coach the pump was located directly below the bath area, so noise was obvious there but hardly noticeable in the kitchen.  Sometimes the pump physical installation (mounting and tubing) is just plain shoddy an transmits far more noise than necessary. There are plenty of YouTube videos on fixes for noisy pump installations.

As for an accumulator, it helps by making the pump run somewhat less often (but longer when it does), but doesn't actually quiet the pumping.

Thanks Gary for your helpful reply and confirming one of my two choices and the one I am leaning towards.  My only reservation is my current pump is rated at 50-psi, so should I be worried with a 60 or 65 PSI rating and impact on the plumbing system?  I was leaning towards the 60-PSI rating version. 

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 11:47:26 AM »
Given the vintage of your RV the higher pressure should be fine, and it should have been tested above that level to meet RVIA standards at the factory, though we all know how that goes.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 03:15:29 PM »
Given the vintage of your RV the higher pressure should be fine, and it should have been tested above that level to meet RVIA standards at the factory, though we all know how that goes.

Thank you Isaac-1

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
I got the Remco NOT variable speed pump a year ago, as well as the 2 gal pressure tank.  The Remco has been reliable and QUIET!  I can hear it if the camper is quiet otherwise and I am in the bathroom above the pump.  I am very happy.
I believe the Remco is made in the USA if I remember correctly.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »
Thanks folks for your replies.  I did decide to and ordered the Remco https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Aquajet-RV-Water-Pump-p/aquajetrv.htm.  Ordered it from RV Upgrade one of our sponsors on this forum and from whom I have received good service and competitive prices.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 09:29:18 PM »
I bought mine at RVUpgrades, too!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 10:07:00 AM »
My only reservation is my current pump is rated at 50-psi, so should I be worried with a 60 or 65 PSI rating and impact on the plumbing system?  I was leaning towards the 60-PSI rating version.
The rating is a max capability. The pump will come set to the factory default, which is typically 45 psi. It is user adjustable simply by turning a screw.

There need be no concern at all about running at 50-60 psi. The system was factory tested at somewhere around 80-90 psi (the RVIA sets a minimum test standard for new RV water systems)..

Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Laura & Charles

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
Gizmo:  thatís the model Iím considering.  Please report back your thoughts/opinions after itís in place and you have some experience using it.  Thanks!

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 08:29:24 PM »
The rating is a max capability. The pump will come set to the factory default, which is typically 45 psi. It is user adjustable simply by turning a screw.

There need be no concern at all about running at 50-60 psi. The system was factory tested at somewhere around 80-90 psi (the RVIA sets a minimum test standard for new RV water systems)..

Thanks again Gary, this is helpful.

Gizmo:  thatís the model Iím considering.  Please report back your thoughts/opinions after itís in place and you have some experience using it.  Thanks!

I sure will, placed the order yesterday hope to install it soon after receiving it whenever that is.

javandyke

• ---
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 03:02:49 PM »
Don't forget to check to be sure your switching system can handle the current drawn by a larger pump.
Jim

2011 Sunova 33
2016 Sahara Wrangler

House Husband

• ---
    • Web Master
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 09:39:46 PM »
A question for those of you wanting better water flow from your on board pump. Why do you want to use water faster from you fresh water holding tank? That just means you have to fill the tank sooner. One would think that you are off grid if using the on board water tank. Now I can see wanting better water flow when hooked up in a campground.
In our case we run a 3 GPM pump to allow us to stay away from the fill/dump station longer.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
http://MWPSchooners.com
First Brake Job 1941 Hudson @ age 3

Laura & Charles

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 02:27:49 AM »
Richard:  In our case, weíre seldom not on full hookup.  When we are, rarely more than 2 days while relocating. We both work full time, Monday through Friday, explore where we are evenings and weekends, move every 3 to 5 weeks, and do it again.  We usually use fresh tank and pump even when hooked up.  That way, weíll know if we develop a leak by the pump cycling when no reason.  Abundance of caution perhaps, but Iíve read horror stories about how much damage can happen when a leak goes undetected for even a short amount of time.