Cape Canaveral, Fl to Conway, NH ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TandScantwait

Hi all, I tried searching similar topics, but I didn't have any luck. My apologies if this is a repeat question. Feel free to direct me as needed.

We are leaving Cape Canaveral, Fl the last week of September and driving to North Conway, NH. We are going to take about 4 days to get there, based on recommendations.

I-95-I-26 (want to stop around Charlotte, NC)-I-77-I-81(want to stop near Jonestown, PA)-I-84-I-91(Staying in Vernon, CT to see relatives) and then onto Conway

Looking for recommendations for a place to stay near Charlotte, NC, just for an overnight.

Also , looking for suggestions for camping in the White Mountain National Forest. There are a lot of campgrounds up there, so curious of people's experiences.

Thanks,
Tammy and Scott

How long is your rig?  Do you dry camp?  There are national forest campgrounds along the Kangamangus Highway (Rt 112).  Dolly Copp campground near Gorham has some electric sites.  You are otherwise looking at commercial campgrounds although there might be some state campgrounds outside the national forest.

We use a KOA just South of Charlotte.  It is really convenient.  The 1st rest area on 84 in CT has a dump station.

If time permits drive North up through the Northwoods towards the Connecticut Lakes.  The colors will be the best in that region around Columbus Day. 

As for an overnight near Charlotte, there is a Flying J about a mile south of where I 77 meets I 81.  We have stayed there several times.
    We have stay at a few of the National Park campgrounds on the Kamangascus HWY, route 112, but be aware they are basic sites with no water or electricity.  However, there are several commercial sites along the river in North Conway, but it has been decades since we have stayed in any.
    It is a beautiful area with a lot of hikes, and the trip up Mount Washington well worth the effort, hiking, driving or taking the cog railway.

Ed

In  Conway there?s Eastern Slope campground and the Saco River campground. Both are right on the Saco River. 
Also the Beach campground

I am confused about your I84 I91? How are you getting from I91 to North Conway?

I would just take 84 to I90 to I495 north to I93 or I95.

If i93 then up to the Kangamangus (if you don?t mind going over the hill) and in to Conway. Less exciting is 93 to rt104 through Merideth then rt25 to rt16 north to Conway.

Alternatively, I95 to rt16 north at Portsmouth.

Rob, I think he is taking I 84, to I 691 to I 91 to I 84.  That way you miss going through downtown Hartford as Vernon is off I 84.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:

Rob, I think he is taking I 84, to I 691 to I 91 to I 84.  That way you miss going through downtown Hartford as Vernon is off I 84.

Ed

Depending on the time of day, this is the way I go

Patnsuzanne said:
There is a very nice city park just below Charlotte in Rock Hill, S Carolina. Full hookups, very reasonable rates and close to the interstate.

What?s the name of it?

Sorry for the delay. It is called Ebenezer (like Scrooge) Park. It?s on the lake off one of the Rock Hill exits off I77. Easy access for our truck and 30? TT. We only overnighted there, but it was nice and clean, big sites and full hookups.

:) Thanks everyone for the info! We would like to dry camp a few days off of 112, we have a 35' class A. Has anyone stayed in one of the White Mountain camps? I can't seem to find any that we could fit in (off of 112). We usually prefer state parks to RV parks, but it looks like maybe a few nights in the Conway area will be necessary.
I am super excited for the hiking. And we think that the Big Rock campground near Franconia Notch looks good.

One more thing to consider:  being from Florida, you may not realize how big a deal Columbus Day is in New England (we didn?t!) It?s the last long weekend of the year for campers, so campgrounds fill up fast and early. Also, once that weekend is over parks and campgrounds start closing, and I mean right then!  I?d advise you to get your plans settled to the point where you can start making reservations ASAP.  Of course, with the whole Covid thing going on, it might be different this year. 

Thanks for all the help. I think we got it figured out! We are super excited to get out of the heat! We are staying at the Russell Pond Campground, in the White Mountain National Forest(off 112) for a few days and then staying at a few family campgrounds. We are choosing mostly easy to moderate hikes, since we are from sea level, lol. But we do have some experience with mountain hiking. My next thing is to plan a day trip to pick apples. I have never done this. Do any of you have any experiences or recommendations in the area or between Franconia, NH and Portland,Maine. We have a jeep that we tow, so no need to bring the rig on that part.

Devylder Farm Wolfboro. NH also a good day trip to Lakes Region. Plus you'll probably drive past my house. LOL

The Kangamagus Highway is about 32 miles of route NH 112 of which 25 miles are designated a National Scenic Byway and not to be missed. Especially during the autumn foliage.

Call an orchard or two and ask when their last self pick is on average.  You might try CT, MA or NY depending on your route to pick your own.  We are New Englanders and occassionly do pick your own.  One year we went on the last day for an orchard and was surprised because it didn't seem that late in the year.  I want to say it was late September.

Back
Top Bottom