2021 F150 to offer onboard generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
The 2021 Ford f150 announced today has a bunch of handy features, one of which is an onboard generator in the hybrid models. As best I can tell, it comes in three sizes, 2.0KW, 2.4kw and a whopping 7.2 kw version with 30A/240v power.  The intent is to provide power for either worksite or campsite.
Read more about the new F150 at:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2020/06/25/2021-ford-f-150-pickup-truck-features-redesign/3261678001/?

This is what I call a fancy car truck. The hybrid feature is nice. But the flaw for me is the 3.5 turbo engine, which will not be towing many fifth wheels across the country. Add that to the limited bed size, which Ford puts in their lighter duty trucks with that sized engine.  As far as making the truck a work truck, the price may be similar to the super duty diesel, which is still the go to vehicle for true construction and lawn care vehicles. [my initial thoughts anyway]

I'm guessing that the "generator" is an inverter that takes the elect from the battery and/or truck engine and puts out the 240V.

To power an RV, a safe adapter cord will have to be built to just take one 120V leg of the 240V outlet to power a RV.  Or possibly make an adapter with a neutral, ground and both hot legs to provide 30amp service (actually 60amp, like the 100amps available to a 50amp RV) to a 50amp RV.

I also wonder if the truck engine needs to run at higher RPMs than idle to continuously provide the full 30amp 240V power (7200 watts).

A most interesting option for a Toad.  Wonder if it can be towed 4 down?

My 2020 has lane assist that darn near makes it hands free driving if you choose.  After a distance, it will show a notification to 'Put your hands on the wheel' lol.

I'm sure the upper end F250 and so on will get some of the bling added.  Most on the Ford Forums are excited about the big 12" display coming, heck, I'm excited with my 8".

All this bling we like sure will be expensive to fix when it breaks, but so many lease or own short term, it's a mute point.

and my 2020 with 4wd, can be towed as a Toad..

AStravelers said:
I'm guessing that the "generator" is an inverter that takes the elect from the battery and/or truck engine and puts out the 240V.

To power an RV, a safe adapter cord will have to be built to just take one 120V leg of the 240V outlet to power a RV.  Or possibly make an adapter with a neutral, ground and both hot legs to provide 30amp service (actually 60amp, like the 100amps available to a 50amp RV) to a 50amp RV.

I also wonder if the truck engine needs to run at higher RPMs than idle to continuously provide the full 30amp 240V power (7200 watts).

A most interesting option for a Toad.  Wonder if it can be towed 4 down?

You might check out this article on Ars Technica about the F-150, which includes some very interesting pictures of the plugin in the bed for the 7.2K option. Note that it's only the hybrid version that offers this, though the non-hybrid version "can be specced with a 2.0kW power supply."

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/06/everything-we-know-about-the-new-ford-f-150-truck-including-the-hybrid/

That's my guess too, and the reason the feature is tied to the hybrid models, which would have both the battery and some better recharging capability.
My previous Buick Lacrosse sedan had a 1000 watt inverter onboard and it wasn't even a hybrid. I never tried to use the full 1000 watts, but it powered small loads nicely, e.g. power tools.
The Lane-keeping "assist" on my '17 Caddy is pretty marvelous at tracking the highway, curves and all.  However, it gets snotty if it detects that I've looked away from the road for too long or am not keeping hands on the wheel. And combined with collision prevention it is darn near self-driving.  Newer models are surely even better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom