Anti-Billowing Lock Install on Carefree Slide Topper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drisley

This morning, I installed a new Carefree slide topper onto my main slideout. First time doing this. And it went just fine and it is working great. BUT...

It has this anti-billowing lock that uses a sliding pin and a pin tab that is supposed to screw into the roller tube. Thing is, it doesn't seem to fit. I'm attaching a diagram of the setup I have. But also...

Here's a quickie video I put on Youtube that shows what I'm looking at here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmulk4gnxyk&feature=youtu.be

I see how this thing is supposed to work, but I feel as if I must be missing something really obvious. As you can see in the video, the screw holes simply do not align.

I will say... the whole topper seems just fine without this thing. Am I stupid to think about just not installing it?

Attachments

• carefree-anti-billow.jpg
    carefree-anti-billow.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 27
To me it doesn't look like those holes in the tube are meant to be screw holes for the lock. It would probably be impossible for them to locate the screw holes in the exact place you would need them for the lock, as everyones install is a little different and the holes would be in the wrong place most of the time. 

Judging from the screws pictured in the diagram, they look like pointed sheet metal screws.  To me that says position the lock on the tube, mark the holes and drill. 

That's possible. What's odd, tho, is that the holes that are on the roller tube are exactly the right distance for the pin tab assembly. It is like they were put there for it, but just too far from the edge. Weird.

drisley said:
I will say... the whole topper seems just fine without this thing. Am I stupid to think about just not installing it?

I just lost an A&E topper on I-40 outside of ABQ about 2 weeks ago in high crosswinds. My anit-billow lock either broke or fell off.
If it was me, I'd figure out how to install it. I'm looking at an entire new awning assembly.

Plus, there was the danger of dealing with the problem along side of the highway. Luckily, I had a ladder, but it was so windy, the ladder would blow over unless I was on it. I had to cut the fabric away from the gutter rail and secure it with zip ties for the rest of the trip.

It appears that when you have the stopper in the groove there will be insufficient edge distance to drill new holes - I agree it looks like the stopper should be able to move to the left but the black part is interfering.

Is the other end the same for the roller? Any chance the roller is installed back to front?  i.e. does the right side have the same black piece? It looks like the awning itself is captured laterally by the silver fittings at the end cap.

Nah, I don't think it is installed backwards. Judging by the diagrams and the fact the lock pin was on the proper end, I'd say I'm good there. Aside from this pin tab, the whole install looks and works great.

The screws shown are #10x1/2" self-drilling/self tapping screws. Just position the piece properly and run them in.

Attachments

• Detail_C.png
    Detail_C.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 11
So, my plunger did not release and when I extended the slide out the awning was locked, the slide out broke/cracked the mount/end cap where the plunger is housed. Is there suppose to be a spring or something that makes sure the plunger releases? Both sides of the mounting end cap broke apart.

Back
Top Bottom