Replace old TV with larger TV in Winnebago Journey 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irishchris

Need help please.

We want to replace the original TV in our Journey 2005 with a larger LCD. The TV cabinet will only hold about a 32" and we'd prefer a 40". And also there is a cupboard on each side of the TV that we would need to access at times.
I am wondering if we can mount a 40" outside the current cabinet on some sort of mount that will turn side to side to give access to a cupboard when needed? Or if there is a mount that would allow us to 'fold" the TV up out of the way when not in use?

Also is it very difficult to replace the stock 'surround sound' with a real one?

All and any help would be very much appreciated as our senior eyes need a bigger screen.
Thanks. :)

Hi and welcome. Check out this long thread: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,23316.0.html for ideas. In my signature is a link to various modifications and upgrades I've done to my Horizon, one of which is adding a new sound system (and TV.) Also search on TV in this Winnebago board - the search feature is in the menu bar towards the top of the page. There are probably a couple of hundred threads if not more that might provide some ideas. There is no practical way to reuse the speakers that came with your Journey.

Another option is to use a cabinet shop to make the necessary modifications for a larger TV. Post some pictures of your current TV and maybe you will get some useful ideas for your situation.

The specific method of doing that will depend on the cabinetry you now have, but basically there are three options for tv replacement:

1. Fit a smaller tv within the existing cabinet. A new flat screen is probably larger than the old tv, but not a lot.

2. Fixed-mount the new flat screen tv to the outside of the existing cabinet but without overlapping the adjacent cabinets. That usually gets you a significantly larger screen but may or may not get you to 40"

3. Mount the new & wide flat screen on some sort of hinged mount that you can swing to the side or upward to get it out of the way of the adjacent cabinet doors when needed. That's a matter of finding a suitable hinge for your cabinet layout, coupled with whatever aesthetic criteria you may have. A swing hinge may stick out in ways you find unacceptable.  Maybe something like this:
https://mount-it.com/products/mount-it-long-extension-tv-wall-mount-fits-42-80-inch-screens-mi-372

You may need to shop around for a tv whose dimensions conforms well to what you have. Most tvs in the "40" class" are actually 43" in (diagonal) screen size but around 38-39" in actual width. But if you hunt, you can probably find some brands/models that are 39" or 40" or 41" (diagonal) as well and one of those might fit easier.  It sometimes takes a lot of legwork (or keyboard work) to find them.  When I replaced the tv in our coach, I was able to find a oddball 37" size that I could fix-mount so I wouldn't need the more complex swivel mount. The screen was a tad smaller that what we liked but the installation was much easier, the look much cleaner, and no interference with the other cabinets.

Hit up 'GroovinGrandpa' on this forum.  He and I installed a big screen and sound sound bar in his 2005 Journey.  He has the pictures.  As I remember it getting the old TV out was tricky.  The whole system swings out on a piano hinge giving access to the back of the TV and about 50 cubic feet of steel reinforced storage space.  (Just kidding, it's only about 5 cubes).  If you go that way don't forget the safety cable.

I replaced the big old picture tube TV in my 2006 Journey with a 43" LED TV.  If you go bigger than 43" the bottom will extend down below the bottom of bezel that surrounds the old TV and kind of goes down toward the drivers viewing area.

I took off the hinge up doors on the cabinets to the sides of the TV and just left the cabinets open.  This way the TV extends part way over both cabinets, but gives access to both cabinets.  I put my satellite RV receiver in the cabinet over the drivers seat.  I also installed a muffin fan blowing into the cabinet to keep the receiver cool.  These cabinets get really hot when the sun shines on the roof.

To get the old TV out:
You need to take the wood bezel surounding the old TV.  Inside the right & left cabinets, down low on the cabinet wall bordering the TV, you will find 2 screws on each wall.  Take the screws out and the bezel lifts off.  I put the bezel back on later.

Now you can see inside and find the bolts and brackets holding the TV in place. 

The TV is very, very heavy and bulky.  Best if you have 2 fairly strong people to lift it out. 

Going from memory here on so you will have to do some figuring on your own.

Once you have the TV out there are steel bars or brackets on each side of the TV cabinet.  I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood and bolted it to the steel bars/brackets and then bolted a heavy duty swing arm TV mount to the plywood. 

To keep the TV from swinging around while driving I attached a belt type strap to the 3/4" plywood that goes around the TV to hold in place while driving.

I don't use the surround sound and didn't try to connect it to the TV.

Here are some pictures.    The 2nd pic is the 3/4" board with the TV mount attached.  The 3rd is a pic of the board attachment to the metal fame the old TV was mounted in.

This was not an easy install.  It took several days not 8 hour days, but several hours each day of figuring and planning, building and attaching.  Also many trips to the hardware store.  At least one full day was wasted figuring out how to get the bezel off.

Attachments

• View of TV mounted (Small).jpg
    View of TV mounted (Small).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Board TV Mounted on (Small).jpg
    Board TV Mounted on (Small).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Brackets holding board on (Small).jpg
    Brackets holding board on (Small).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 31
What's better than having a flat-screen TV right in my RV? I can enjoy my favorite movies and TV shows right in the small space of the RV. That makes me feel like I'm on a mobile home. Installing a flat-screen TV in an RV is also a simple process. You have the choice of mounting it on the wall or on an existing box. Many TVs today have an ultra-slim design, allowing you to install them on the wall without obstructing traffic or improving RV life. You can check wall stickers placed by the RV manufacturer to identify stud wall locations. Unfortunately, they could be unhelpful if the stickers are not on the spot where you want to install your television.

....Installing a flat-screen TV in an RV is also a simple process. You have the choice of mounting it on the wall or on an existing box. .....
Uh, no. Not simple at all in Winnebago products if replacing a glass monster, it almost always involves modifying the cabinetry. Installing a flat screen in a new location could be very difficult due to getting power and an antenna/DVR signal to the new screen.

Uh, no. Not simple at all in Winnebago products if replacing a glass monster, it almost always involves modifying the cabinetry. Installing a flat screen in a new location could be very difficult due to getting power and an antenna/DVR signal to the new screen.
AND..... getting solid structure to attach the mounting bracket to. I found the perfect spot in my View MH to mount the TV, but it was going to involve removing the fridge for access to add a piece of 3/4 plywood and a solid mounting (I prefer T nuts and machine screws on something like this) and then reinstall the fridge. Never got around to it. TV is still in the box here in the house.

Charles

What's better than having a flat-screen TV right in my RV? I can enjoy my favorite movies and TV shows right in the small space of the RV. That makes me feel like I'm on a mobile home. Installing a flat-screen TV in an RV is also a simple process. You have the choice of mounting it on the wall or on an existing box. Many TVs today have an ultra-slim design, allowing you to install them on the wall without obstructing traffic or improving RV life. You can check wall stickers placed by the RV manufacturer to identify stud wall locations. Unfortunately, they could be unhelpful if the stickers are not on the spot where you want to install your television.
Installing flat screen TV in RV makes an RV a mobile home. My family gets to enjoy our favorite movies and TV shows while I stay focused on driving us to the next destination.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom