Swapping LP hoses - exterior tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
Several months ago (last Fall actually) I bought this pair of LP hoses because one of the originals on my trailer was leaking and had drained the LP tank. Due to COVID, we are getting a late start to our camping season and are heading out this week. I've been trying to get the new hoses installed on the existing regulator, but the original hose WILL NOT come loose. I've sprayed PB Blaster in the threads, worked it with a wrench, tapped/banged on it with a hammer, and the connection won't budge. I'm reluctant to whack on it too hard because the regulator is plastic (and 12yo plastic at that) and I'm afraid it's going to break. Any ideas on what else to try?

Yes, I now agree that I should have bought the entire assembly like this in the first place, and I wouldn't be having this problem. I didn't anticipate this difficulty. (Actually I just ordered one and am having it shipped to the campground, since it will arrive the same day we do. :)) I'm still interested in getting these original hoses off and keeping that regulator as a backup.

I don't know about American propane, but in the UK, a lot of propane threads are left handed and are identified by the nut having small cuts in the hex.

Look at the threads of the new hose. They should be right hand threads. If they are, put a bigger wrench on it. Remember, righty righty, lefty loosely.

Based on the photos there is nothing unusual about those connections - Bigger wrenches. I would rarely recommend a crescent wrench but in this case you might need to.

Alternately a crows foot flare nut wrench and a breaker bar would be the appropriate tool...

Attachments

• crowfoot.JPG
    crowfoot.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom