rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Is it just me  (Read 483 times)

Tom55555

• ---
Is it just me
« on: June 30, 2020, 11:49:09 PM »
My wife and I cancelled our reservation this morning for a week at the end of July at Cherrystone Family Camping Resort in VA because of the virus. We wanted to go and it was my wife's birthday week and that's what my wife wanted to do. When we made the reservation there was no virus. They charged us $32 and I just checked those dates which are no longer available. Obviously, the site was reserved immediately. I can obviously afford the $32 but I just find that to be very rude. Is it just me?

2015 Winnebago 22R

Isaac-1

• ---
Re: Is it just me
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 12:02:07 AM »
It is not just you, the current instability in the world makes it impossible to make advanced plans.  With the way things are going we could be back at stay at home by the 4th, which is really something when you consider where things were just last weekend.  Not only can't you plan a couple of months out, it is getting hard to plan a couple of weeks out, and have any reasonable expectation of knowing if travel will be possible.

We are trying to plan to take a trip around my wife's birthday also, though her's is in September, and the best we have been able to do is put together a few contingency options, with hopes of being able to finalize plans, and get some type of reservations when the time is a couple of weeks out.  Which states will be open, and which will be closed in September is anyone's guess at this point, with the way things are going at the moment I would not be surprised if we are all back to stay at home soon, though for how long I do not know.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

JackL

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 04:35:13 AM »
I don't think that is rude at all. You cancelled the reservation, not the RV park.
 If they cancelled it then I would fully expect that you get your money back..
 When we make reservations , we always ask what the cancellation policy is. The same with motels.

Jack L

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 05:57:36 AM »
Have you contacted them to see if theyíll reimburse you? They should At least partially because someone else will also pay them today for the reservation.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 08:22:13 AM »
Assuming that they applied their standard cancellation policy, I don't think it is rude at all. The campground is open for business and being in your own coach among your own family makes you no more (or less) vulnerable to the virus than at home. The cancellation was entirely of your own volition.

Whether you choose to do business with a campground that has a cancellation fee that applies that far in advance is a different question, but the time for that decision was when you made the reservation and is now long past.

Perhaps my perspective is influenced by the several summers my wife & I worked in campgrounds.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
In April, Florida cancelled our 7 night reservation so we cancelled our 2 night Alabama reservation. Both were state parks and gave us a 100% refund. We donít normally stay at privately owned campgrounds. They may have a pool or a game room but they probably arenít following proper health and safety guidelines and the prices are higher. My wife picked this place thinking it would be nice but we both agree itís not worth dying over.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 09:25:15 PM »
I just read their policy.  As I understood it,the fee should have been $10.  Maybe I didnít understand?
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500

Domo

• ---
  • 2008 Tiffin 36QSH - Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 09:40:16 PM »
I'd imagine the cancellation fee was clearly presented in some part of you paperwork when you made the reservation.

So, IMO it's not rude, it's business.

They do have to make some (miniscule) effort to unbook and rebook. Plus, they bear the risk of NOT filling it immediately with short notice. - So, sometimes they win and sometimes they lose.

And, what if they could only fill two nights and not the entire period you wanted - they'd have lost the income from those other nights...
2008 Tiffin 36QSH
2017 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
BlueOx tow bar and base plate
Roadmaster Brakemaster

Light travels faster than sound...
                                     that's why some people seem so bright before they open their mouths!

rbTN

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 10:12:05 PM »
there seems to be no logic to the charges other than they can and will.

I had reservations for fri to sun, something came up and I wanted to change to sun to tues with 3 days notice -  seems logical that they would have more demand for Fri - sun than sun to tues - they decided to charge the full amt for the "cancellation" so I found a better place to stay. they may have my $40 but I will forever be on their reviews!
middle TN
was - 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 cummins, auto, camper pkg, trailer pkg (still have the 2001)
now - 2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins, CC long bed SLT 4x4
2007 Thor Denahli 26RL
Equalizer hitch
300 watt Renogy system with 40amp mppt Rover

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 12:39:28 AM »
I had one of these cancellation charge events myself a couple of years ago, we had an early spring long weekend trip planned to the Texas Hill country, as chance would have it a late season cold front and potential ice storm decided to visit the hill country the same weekend.  So I called to cancel our reservations a couple of days in advance due to highway travel advisories being in the forecast as well as the fact that the temperatures for the area were forecast to have lows of around 10F and highs of about 27F for the weekend.  I of course was charged a cancellation fee due to cancelling within 7 days of my arrival date.

I have been back to the hill country 3 or 4 times since then, always staying at other RV parks.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

mudisfun

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 01:07:53 PM »
I cancelled our planned trip to Yogi Bears Jelly Stone RV park in central California two weeks ago, roughly 4 weeks prior to our planned arrival. They issued a full refund, no issues.

We were waiting it out to see if the 2nd leg of that planned trip, a week at Calavares Big Trees State Park would be still in the cards, which with the current state of affairs, sadly, for us, it is not. Cancelled 2 days ago with 4 weeks notice. State charged a $7.99 cancellation fee, per their policy, which I agreed to when we set up the reservation. Am I thrilled about it, no... But $8 is not going to make or break my piggy bank.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 03:24:58 PM »
On a positive note, we had reservations at a Louisiana state park just outside of New Orleans in late March, which was canceled by the state a few days before stay at home, as they were using the park for Covid isolation and support, I was given an automatic full refund to my credit card, then a few weeks later received gift card from the state for use in any state park in the next couple of years in the full amount of our intended stay, so double my money back.  I am not sure if it would have been the same if I had called and canceled vs waiting for them to shut the park down as I was in the no cancellation window when Covid took off in New Orleans.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Domo

• ---
  • 2008 Tiffin 36QSH - Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »
Have you contacted them to see if theyíll reimburse you? They should At least partially because someone else will also pay them today for the reservation.

That's not fair to the business that had to cancel and rebook. Sometimes life doesn't seem fair when you don't read the fine print of the contract.
2008 Tiffin 36QSH
2017 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
BlueOx tow bar and base plate
Roadmaster Brakemaster

Light travels faster than sound...
                                     that's why some people seem so bright before they open their mouths!