Backing in with sway bar and distribution hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoomerTX

So we have our first trip under our belt but was a pull through spot. While I like the idea of pull throughs, I know more times than not it will be a back in spot. I've owned a 19 foot boat for 20 years and very accustomed to handling that, but this 29 foot TT is a different animal.  I've actually found an empty parking lot to practice and probably will do more of the same. But, as my wife was watching, she noticed how loud it was, which I'm assuming thats the sway bar/distribution hitch. ( it seems loud and crackling just going down the road but was told that is normal). ?  So my question is, is it ok to back in with that attached or should I stop prior to and take it off? Is it easier with or without? Is the noise something to be concerned with? Can it do damage to the truck or trailer? Any help is appreciated.  Looking for our next, 2nd, quick getaway soon.

If your hitch does not have a separate ?anti-sway? clamp on device, you should have no trouble backing up with the load distribution bars in place. We have an Equalizer hitch and have backed into any number of sites with no problem. Check your owner?s manual or look the manufacturer up on line and they should state whether it it advisable to remove the anti-sway device prior to backing.

I never had any problems with the WDH connected while backing.  Even in my really tight driveway.  If it bothers you, you can certainly disconnect it.  But you also have to be aware of where you are backing in.  Sometimes if disconnecting from the WDH drops your hitch too low, you may drag the ground, or concrete of where ever you are backing into.  Just something to keep in mind.

You may find some sites where it might be advantageous to remove the tension bars before you enter a site if it is not particulsrly level and the end result has the front of the truck high and front of trailer low.  In thus position, there will be a lot of tension on the bars making them hard to remove. When leaving a site such as this, I wait and put the bars on after pulling out and on level ground. I have also done this when leaving very early. I pull out and then get to a more open part of the campground near the exit so that the noise of installing the bars does not bother the neighbors. (We have the Husky Centerlline TC system-I like it, but it is noisy.)

I always remove my antisway bar. I think I would be okay not to, but it's easy, and you will have to at some point.

Thanks for the info.  What we have,  I believe as I'm not looking at it, but pretty sure its an Equalizer WD hitch with sway bars (all in one I assume?). Nobody ever told me I could NOT back in with it but again been reading and want to make sure. 

I have an Equalizer and you can def back with it. It makes a lot of noise in either direction but I have not had any problems backing with it at all

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom