glued down carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinetrees

The bed platform is flanked on each side by what one would call 'night stands', if that makes sense. It's made of a cheap plywood of sorts, and on each 'night stand', carpet was glued down to cover the wood.  I want to remove the carpet (probably 2' x '2 square), but the only thing I've really seen that seems to work is to rent a carpet puller etc.  I don't want to do that for such a small area. Has anyone come upon any ideas that can remove glued down carpet without renting equipment?

Once you get a corner loose a heat gun to soften the glue and gently pull should do the trick.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions of putty knife/hammer and heat gun approaches. My next question is, will this be an all day project that I will be mad at my self for even attempting (such as removing wall paper on a wall that wasn't properly prepped 40 years prior!) or will it be pretty simple, maybe an hour or so (to do a 2'x2' square)?

I would think it should only take a few minutes. Have you thought about what you?re going to do with the finish once it?s all off? If they did a real good job at applying the adhesive, you may end up with one heck of a mess with no way to remove the glue.  Good luck

Yes, I figured I'd need to put something else over the top, not quite sure what yet, but really don't like carpeting!!

pinetrees said:
Yes, I figured I'd need to put something else over the top, not quite sure what yet, but really don't like carpeting!!
Maybe a couple of raised panel doors from Lowe?s.
Do you know what?s inside the night stand?  Maybe there?s room for more storage using the raised panel doors for access

Rene T, raised panel doors do not create space inside the cabinets. They are only raised on the outside. ROFLMAO

ChasA said:
Rene T, raised panel doors do not create space inside the cabinets. They are only raised on the outside. ROFLMAO
Every post has to have a comedian. I said "for access".  ;)

Rene, raised panel doors don't create access either. They're  strictly  aesthetic with no functional purpose. I DO know what I am talking about. Maybe you can enlighten me about how a raised panel door improves access. I've built many but never thought of them as functional in any way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom