what to do with your sewer hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

I recently purchased a new to me motorhome.  It has a black abs tube about 4' long and 6" in diameter attached to the rear bumper. It is used for storing the sewer hose.  The problem is I have a see through right angle attachment at the of the sewer hose.  I'm wondering if there is some way of using this with out taking the right angle off of he hose.  I know sometime there are some easy solutions to problems, but I haven't figured out how to use it.

I use a standard gray 90 degree connector that inserts into the sewer and a clear 45 degree connector on the RV. I store the hose in my bumper. The two connectors go into a plastic bag and placed in a side compartment. I rarely use the clear connector but some people leave them on their RV to make sure the black and gray shut off valves are working properly prior to removing the cap to avoid spills.

I've not found those bumper storage tubes to be very useful overall. If you have space in the RV basement, put the sewer hose in a plastic tub or storage box. There will be room for more/longer hoses, angle fittings can stay on, and extra fittings can be stored as well.  A simple basket or tub works fine.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tubtrugs-10-Gal-Red-Flexible-Plastic-Tub-SP42R/303196361

Another problem with the bumper storage is that the bumper will wear thru the sides of the hose when bumping down the road and vibration,, you probably won't notice until you go to use it,, then it's too late..>>>Dan

All my sewer stuff always went in a rubbermade tote in the storage compartment.  Neat and clean.

donn said:
All my sewer stuff always went in a rubbermade tote in the storage compartment.  Neat and clean.

Ditto.

I have additional totes for fresh water hose, electrical stuff, etc. They stack nicely and keep the compartments organized.

I use the Rhino hose, when you compress it, it stays compressed, then I just bend it and connect one end to the other.  The 90 deg piece gets rinsed and stowed separately in a tub.  Works reallyy well. 

HappyWanderer said:
Ditto.

I have additional totes for fresh water hose, electrical stuff, etc. They stack nicely and keep the compartments organized.
YUP!  Just did not mention those cause OP did not ask

Utclmjmpr said:
Another problem with the bumper storage is that the bumper will wear thru the sides of the hose when bumping down the road and vibration,, you probably won't notice until you go to use it,, then it's too late..>>>Dan

You are right Dan if storing it inside a metal bumper and your comment may help others but in this case, the OP has the pipe type storage attached to his bumper.

The OP can get a fitting like this and the flange part comes right off then the remaining piece would stay on the hose and it would fit in the storage pipe.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-3103-Universal-Coupler-Adapter/dp/B000QA0SJM?ref_=s9_apbd_otopr_hd_bw_b3R2EFf&pf_rd_r=9QC0AB7C8W359NR5S72G&pf_rd_p=ce385196-765b-56ce-a9d8-66cf340574e6&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=3147891011

We have a 90 deg fitting on the end of ours, with a cutoff. We seldom disconnect our sewer pipe. We carry a piece of pvc pipe, split in half, to lay under hose if we want to grade it, like for a permanent hook up. We can also use the pvc pipe to collapse our sewer pipe to maybe 5' long.  After draining sewer, lay drain in the pvc so it will stay straight while collapsing the sewer pipe. Then when it is as short as possible, close the cutoff and it will now stay collapsed. Then just lay it in the bay.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I would have never bought the storage pipe, but it was on the RV I just purchased, and I thought I would try to figure out how to use it.  I can't figure out why someone would make something like this without taking in to consideration the right angle at the end of the sewer hose.

I keep the hoses in the bumper, and I have a small plastic storage bin in my rear locker and in it I keep several elbows and fittings.
In that same rear locker I keep another bin to store all my misc cans of stuff that would be on the shelf in the garage at home...including my hand sanitizer and a can of lysol which are primarily for use with said sewer stuff.

I have been thinking about rigging up a pipe to store the hose though, since the bumper is rusting badly on the inside.  I'm leaning towards mounting something under the rig out of plain sight.  I would go with the simple bin that has been suggested, in a second but I'm in a class C.  While my class C has an abundance of indoor storage, the outdoor space is a bit limited.

Since I've owned the rig I've treated the inside of the bumper a few times with rust restorer...that milky white stuff that turns rust black.  I recon it's slowed the rust, but it marches on.  I'm braced for one of these days to find it rusted through. I guess I need to start looking for sources for square tube or round pipe to replace it with, and something oversized to boot.  Maybe even corrosion resistant.  The factory bumper holds my red Valterra EZ coupler hose but only just barely.

sluggermike said:
Thanks for your suggestions.  I would have never bought the storage pipe, but it was on the RV I just purchased, and I thought I would try to figure out how to use it.  I can't figure out why someone would make something like this without taking in to consideration the right angle at the end of the sewer hose.
Mike, that's pretty simple. Not all hoses have elbows on them. Get a hose without the elbow and you'll solve your problem.

I love the Camco brand so I thought hey I need this hose for my RV. Well, I had it 3 weeks used it 2x the 2nd time the orange twist on to sewer dump broke off, no biggie this kit came with 2!!! Well just today 3 months after purchasing and using it 4x, I attached the orange piece to my camper SEWER pipe and ran the other end into the SEWER dump like I always have done, except this time the orange part separated and blew off from the brown hose!!!! So you know what that means black water AKA POOP went flying all over me and my new shoes!!! I am done with this company they didn?t respond to my email or call so I called Amazon and like always they took care of me! Just want to warn everyone else the silicone or glue they use to hold on to the hose sucks!!!!

donn said:

Not sure if "sewer stuff" and "neat and clean" have ever been used in the same sentence before lol

justgeorge411 said:
Not sure if "sewer stuff" and "neat and clean" have ever been used in the same sentence before lol
Why not? Handled properly, there?s no reason for it to be dirty and smelly.

I never understood the term ?stinky slinky? and just assume someone is doing it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom