rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Colorado Get Away- but where to?  (Read 1690 times)

X-Roughneck

Re: Colorado Get Away- but where to?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2020, 10:04:32 PM »
Avoid E-470, it's ALL tollway. Coming up from Pueblo, just as you get into the south metro area, there'll be a C-470 west bound that you can take as far as I-70 (way west and north), then take U.S. 6 to Colo. 93 then north to Boulder. As you get into Boulder take U.S. 36 north to Lyons, then into the mountains to Estes Park.

Should you decide to go through town on I-25, then you can get off on Colo 7, just 3 miles north of me (would love to have an eyeball), then west through Boulder to U.S. 36 to Lyons, etc. OR, you could get off just north of Longmont on Colo 66 west to Lyons, etc.

The traffic through Denver isn't nearly as bad as it was before COVID, but there are still times when it's congested. The heaviest construction that I know of on the I-25 route is between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock, and that stretch is frequently congested.

Thanks Larry,

I am going to have to look at those road options closer and see what makes more sense. If the planets align a quick hello could definitely be in order. 

Made note of the E-470 Toll way.  As much as they charge, maybe this trip up there the roadways might be paved with Gold, but... I don't plan on finding out either.

We are Staying in Estes Park while we are in the Area. 

I read on the internet to break the park into 3 sections when making your day trip break down planning various segments of the park. 

See if this makes sense to the Audience of people who know the area. 

I don't want to arrive to a National Park this big without any plan. 

1. Grand Lake Area

2. Trail Ridge Road

3. Bear Lake Area

I am going to plug in some of the Can't miss trail hikes, POI, etc on a My Maps Google for future reference. 

I want to make sure we see alot of the, "Gotta See", places.

Right know I know nothing more than the Rocky Mountains are Rocky and they are located inside a big National Park, so I am getting my game plan together.

I need to break this down logically and plot out these tourist spots on a map and see just how far away from each other and from where we are staying. 

This COVID-19 staged arrival to the Park will make it interesting. 

I have seen some of the you tube videos where the traffic looks Horrible inside the Park, but I am sure the video is PRE-COVID. 

The traffic inside the Park will be the wild card in the deal this trip.  I am expecting Super Busy. 

I saw a you tube where a regular to the Rocky Mtn Nat Park area stated don't drive thru the Town of Estes Park to enter the Park but take the reverse route of the way 99% of the people stuck in traffic took. Judging by his you tube video where the passenger was filming on coming sea of cars it was a Great Strategy he had.  He was without any traffic ahead of him. 

I have time to plan as the trip is a bit in the future. 

Our main goal of the trip is to get out of the heat, and see some beautiful places, so no set agenda. 

Will definitely entertain some 3 mile and maybe a bit more hikes in the park so if anyone know a certain trail to hike or a can't miss I would appreciate the... "Hey, check this out."

I want to go to have some day trips in my back pocket and ready to eXecute the plan when we get there.

I know that in normal times shuttle would be what I would opt for, but I think this time will take our chances with crowded parking lots. Last Month we got Lucky in Bryce Utah the Shuttles were running but parking was ample at parking lots of major loops hikers loved to take.  The majority of my entry times are a window between 8-10 AM.  We will be closer to 8 AM to increase our chances of parking lot success.   

JD
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:25:20 PM by X-Roughneck »

Koodog

• ---
  • Onto the next chapter....
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »
I agree with Larry on route. Its single lane from Golden all the way to Estes Park. There are passing lanes on 93 from Golden to Boulder. Scenic route. Getting thru Boulder will be a bit of a challenge, but the route thru town (93 turns in Broadway) is 2 lanes almost the entire way. Once on 36 it turns back into single lane in Lyons. When you turn west into Lyons, stay in the right lane as you will need to go that way. 2 lane road will split and you will be forced to turn left or right. Both ways will take you into Estes, but 36 is faster. Hwy 7 is beautiful and less traffic if you choose that route. In which case stay in the left lane in town.

Having lived close to Estes Parks for over 25 years, I can tell you, you won't be disappointed in RMNP. Its breathtaking.

I've driven my coach over the pass many, many times. Not a biggie for me, but I live here.

Enjoy your trip. Stay safe.
06 Itasca Horizon FD
Cummins 400 hp
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Walt & Terry Sanford

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 01:12:19 PM »
but the route thru town (93 turns in Broadway) is 2 lanes almost the entire way. Once on 36 it turns back into single lane in Lyons.

Obviously that's the lane count in each direction. I had to think about it for a moment, since what you are calling single lane I usually think of as 2 lane (one each way) and your 2-lane road is what I think of as 4-lane.

I agree with the rest of your assessment except that I still would discourage him from using Trail Ridge in the MH.

John, the Winding River Resort in Grand Lake is a wonderful place to stay. It's huge, has many sites among trees and such, though the full hookup sites are a bit closer together, but the place is huge, and they have facilities for many people with horses to camp there, along with Chuck Wagon, horse rides and more. AND, it's on the edge of (but not in) RMNP. On the edge literally, since a two minute walk from the entrance across the "winding river" puts you in the park. Check them out at: https://www.windingriverresort.com/
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

X-Roughneck

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2020, 07:32:44 PM »
We have a place Secured for the duration of the upcoming stay.  Right now we travel with the Four Legged Kids, Chinese Shar Pei, Archie and Ashley. 

Without stepping into it too deep, Let's just say my boy Archie does not like to drop a duece (2) while being paraded around on the leash, so.... when we book reservations, Fenced Dog Park is a must. 

For our Estes Park trip duration it would be a absolute show stopper if it was not provided. 

I love walking my boy Archie, but he is getting up there in age and I prefer knowing he took care of "His Business" prior to our departure for our day trips.

Having him off leash, he will take care of business. 

..I've yet to understand all the mysteries of Life?

JD
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:10:02 PM by X-Roughneck »

Koodog

• ---
  • Onto the next chapter....
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2020, 08:33:26 AM »
Obviously that's the lane count in each direction. I had to think about it for a moment, since what you are calling single lane I usually think of as 2 lane (one each way) and your 2-lane road is what I think of as 4-lane.

I agree with the rest of your assessment except that I still would discourage him from using Trail Ridge in the MH.

John, the Winding River Resort in Grand Lake is a wonderful place to stay. It's huge, has many sites among trees and such, though the full hookup sites are a bit closer together, but the place is huge, and they have facilities for many people with horses to camp there, along with Chuck Wagon, horse rides and more. AND, it's on the edge of (but not in) RMNP. On the edge literally, since a two minute walk from the entrance across the "winding river" puts you in the park. Check them out at: https://www.windingriverresort.com/

Sorry to have thrown you off on lanes numbers. As you can only travel in 1 direction at a time, i though count was obvious.
My bad.
06 Itasca Horizon FD
Cummins 400 hp
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Walt & Terry Sanford

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »

Sorry to have thrown you off on lanes numbers. As you can only travel in 1 direction at a time, i though count was obvious.
My bad.
Not a big deal, but it's just a different way of stating it than what I'm used to. Language (especially English), unfortunately is so often not obvious, even in different parts of the same country. What's Beantown? What's "regular coffee?" What's a frappe? Those are apparently well known in the northeast, but I ran into these (and others) cold a number of years back and, for example, when the waitress asked "Regular or light?" when I ordered coffee, generated confusion -- she apparently couldn't grasp what "black coffee" is and I'd never heard of "regular coffee."

So no big deal, I mostly mentioned it in case someone else was briefly thrown as I was.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

X-Roughneck

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2020, 06:00:19 AM »
I agree with Larry on route. Its single lane from Golden all the way to Estes Park. There are passing lanes on 93 from Golden to Boulder. Scenic route. Getting thru Boulder will be a bit of a challenge, but the route thru town (93 turns in Broadway) is 2 lanes almost the entire way. Once on 36 it turns back into single lane in Lyons. When you turn west into Lyons, stay in the right lane as you will need to go that way. 2 lane road will split and you will be forced to turn left or right. Both ways will take you into Estes, but 36 is faster. Hwy 7 is beautiful and less traffic if you choose that route. In which case stay in the left lane in town.

Having lived close to Estes Parks for over 25 years, I can tell you, you won't be disappointed in RMNP. Its breathtaking.

I've driven my coach over the pass many, many times. Not a biggie for me, but I live here.

Enjoy your trip. Stay safe.

Thanks Dog,

We are looking forward to the views.  Probably easily top the Mesquite Trees, Cactus and 100F plus temps we are dealing with down here right now without too much problem  ;D

Looking at current pics on google of some of the areas, I am going to resist the temptation to Not Pack a Jacket, and pack one.

Not a natural for a Texan to look for a Jacket in July - August Time Frame of the year.

JD

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2020, 06:40:15 AM »
Not a natural for a Texan to look for a Jacket in July - August Time Frame of the year.
True, but you'll definitely want one in Colorado on many evenings, and even in daylight at times in the high country, especially on the higher treeless areas of Trail Ridge Road, or similar places. Some of that area is tundra, similar to the arctic.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

X-Roughneck

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2020, 06:50:18 AM »
Larry,

We had a Great Trip. Was thinking about you when we drove thru Westminster yesterday, but unlike my venture up where I put myself in at lunch rush hour, I had my ears pinned back and we hurried thru, over thru on IH70 then South to Lamar. Wanted to go back this way as opposed to long stretch of IH25. Did not like the construction down thru that stretch of Colo Springs .Estes Park, RMNP was Great. A couple of the evenings I could feel Fall Temps in the air.

Spruce Lake RV in Estes is a seasonal RV Park that closes 3 October. We loved the little pond stocked with cutthroat trout watching the kids and their Dads doing that time honored tradition of fishing. Dog park and proximity to Beaver Meadows Toll, RMNP entrance.

Loved it. Great trip. Now back to the Desert. Looking forward to getting my hands done. I got a couple carpal tunnel ops on the burner.

Will explore some Lone Star parks later this winter. I have my eye on Magnolia Ridge a CCC park and Garner State Park, down by Uvalde.

John.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2020, 07:23:38 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it, John. It's probably a good time for you to leave Colorado since most of the state is smoky from all the forest fires. Enjoy the Texas parks, too - there are some really nice ones.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG