rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Generator won’t stay on. Gas is over half full. 2017 Fleetwood Flair 314  (Read 300 times)

NewbiesNeedHelp

• ---
What are we doing wrong?

The RV had been running for about an hour, and then it petered out.  I started it again and then about after another hour, it petered out.  Now I can’t get it to “stay on”.  It will make a generator sound, but then die.   
I tried pressing off for about 10 seconds, and then try to turn it on, but the same problem ...won’t stay on.

HueyPilotVN

• ---
First make sure that your oil level is not low.  Maybe it was marginal and now it is to low.  That will cause a shut down.
Bill Waugh
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road
Now just another Lurker

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
The make & model of generator would help. Many recent models provide diagnostic data if they shut down prematurely. If it's an Onan, read the Troubleshooting section of the Operator Manual for learn how to read them and their meaning.

A shutdown after running awhile can be several things, but most common are low oil pressure or high temperature. A dirty fuel filter is another possibility.
If you don't have the manual, they are usually available online for free.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:01:13 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

SeilerBird

• ---
And if all that fails try cleaning the carbureator.

Jim18655

• ---
Check the fuel pump output as soon as it shuts down. Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor and put it in a container while you try to start the engine and you should have a good stream of fuel. No fuel - overheated pump. You could try a cold, wet rag around the pump until you change the pump or just to trouble shoot the pump.

decaturbob

• ---
  • Living on Tioga Time
 - last time the generator was serviced for fuel filter and plug?
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH towing a 2010 Ford Escape around America