What's wrong with RV service?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Most of what follows is a reply I made on our sister site, IRV2.com. I'm repeating it here becasue it's a worthwhile topic, even if we aren't likely to change much (if anything) by reviewing it here.

Back in the day I worked as an automotive service consultant for the major car manufacturers, back when car dealer shops were failing miserably with the new-fangled vehicle electronics. I was/am a systems analysis expert with years of computer electronics experience, so the powers-that-be thought I could help.  After awhile I realized that some shops simply didn't try to succeed at service, some wanted to succeed but lacked training, and some only wanted to maximize the revenue in the shop whether they ever fixed anything or not. And that is in shops where there is a decent franchise-based incentive to provide quality service. The RV industry has just about zero incentive to do that well,  plus the product support and the parts distribution structure makes it awkward at best.  Most of us are pre-conditioned to expect auto dealer like service because its a dealership, right?  But RV service has very little in common with car dealer service.

The fundamentals of what's wrong could occupy numerous pages here, but I'm not going to do that.  A quick summary, though includes these reasons:

1. The workload is heavily seasonal. The shop can't get enough qualified workers during the RVing season, yet cannot generate enough work to pay them a decent wage in the off-season. That results in what is essentially part-time techs whose skills are limited to "what do I replace next?".

2. There is no comprehensive parts distribution network as with cars. The RV factory makes money building RVs, not servicing them, so they stock what they must to maintain production. Service for owners, even warranty service, is a distant second place. Again, the seasonal nature of the business is a big factor here - the RV makers can't afford a warehouse full of parts that may not be needed for a year. And most of which were not made specifically for their RVs either.
2A. You are not the customer for the RV. The factory responds to what dealers say they can sell, not what you want. 

3. An RV is a hodge-podge collection of off-the-shelf parts. Car manufacturers buy parts by the hundred-thousands and can make or break a supplier in a heartbeat. RV dealers buy whatever they can find that can be made to fit. They have little leverage over their suppliers because they don't make/sell enough product. The component quality is whatever they get.

4. Selling price is the #1, #2, and #3 top considerations in RV design. Quality and serviceability aren't even on the list because no matter how much owners cry about quality, they vote with their dollars when they purchase.

5. Owners are not willing to pay for diagnostic time. Warranty claims even less so.  That leads to a shop culture driven by quickly replacing parts based on a cursory description of symptoms. Poor diagnostic skills among the techs means that a fair percentage of replaced parts won't fix the problem. "Fix it right the first time" is a customer satisfaction goal but not a profit incentive.

6. Tech training is mostly dismal. There will be a few well-trained techs in medium-large shops, but they don't get paid for answering the questions from other techs, so they are working their own jobs. Usually RVs that have been back multiple times for the same problem. I've talked to techs who have almost know knowledge about how or why something works - they only know to replace a certain part if some general symptom is present.  They are unable to make even a basic diagnosis on their own.

7. Service advisors may make extra money by upselling, getting you to OK a particular service that is usually bundled to provide maximum revenue to the shop and the tech. Most shops charge flat rates for services, but the rates are self-determined and thus high for vaguely defined packages such as "roof sealing" or "24 month service" or "winterize".  You've all been there, right?

Some dealers, mostly the larger ones, recognize that service is a bigger profit center than sales, especially in these deep-discounting days. But that just generates a greater incentive for high labor rates and repeat visits for the same problem.  That won't change until somebody forms an RV service chain of businesses that can legitimately advertise "we fix it right".

8. Most small or mid-sized dealers are focused on selling RVs and service is what they have to do to sell.  That's why they don't want to service rigs sold elsewhere or do post-delivery repairs. You don't really exist as a customer after the sale because few RVers ever repeat buy at the same store. Or even the same brand of RV.

Yeah, but there is little downside for the RV industry or the dealers because there is no real alternative for the owners. It's essential a captive market.  We can pay the price or do without our [beloved] RVs.

A related problem is that quality and serviceability are intertwined, but few Americans are inclined to pay for either. We have no ingrained expectation that products should last forever with suitable care and repair; basically we are a disposable society that cannot afford to throw away anything as complex and costly as an RV.  Carpe Diem is the American Way.  Europeans and Asians are inclined to make long term purchases with the idea that they will be in the family for literally generations and that inherent quality is a worthwhile investment.

Good post Gary. It explains why I refuse to buy a new RV and I want nothing to do with a warranty. If something goes wrong with my RV I will pay a mobile mechanic to come to me and fix it so I can supervise.

We are a funny generation (the boomers) - this is an observation not a judgment - my classic cars guys are the same way.

My initial observation of RVers is they will pay Well +$100k for an RV then become like super misers looking for free stuff and free places to stay etc. As Gary has said many times, You have a bus that needs to be maintained like a bus or truck.  You have a house that needs to be maintained like a house with A/C power, window and roof leaks etc. Then (like a boat) you have a bunch of "aftermarket" systems all plugged and cobbled together in the hopes it all works together but when it breaks it is not, my Chevy broke or my fFrd broke.  It's, my Norcold broke, or my Atwood broke. Imagine if everything in your car came from different makers - air con, heater, electrical generator - no one would tolerate that but that is what an RV is.

There is little upside to running a "service shop" these days. Everyone expects everything perfect and super cheap. It's like the Boomer generation is stuck on the idea of $4 an hour wages and 25 cent cokes.

Gary makes a ton of great observations but there is more to the underlying story of "techs" - I apprenticed and licensed as an aircraft mechanic at the age of 20. We were taught how to diagnose and repair things - to an aircraft level of reliability and quality. Over the last 40 years we have become a "disposable" society.  We also trained our kids that the path to success lies in a "college" education and not the trades. We stopped teaching auto shop, metal shop and wood shop in high school so this next generation can't really fix anything.

Cars are disposable like all your household appliances. "Techs" today are trained to replace things for one very good reason. Labor is expensive. It is not uncommon now for $50-$100 shop rates - a tech needs to make $60-$80k a year to raise a family - that's an hourly rate close to $40/rh, add overhead, benefits and profit and you can see $80-$100 per hour shop rates. Even if a tech "can" repair your 20 year old A/C, if he does the next part can fail in a few days or a few months - after he spent 3 hours diagnosing and 5 hours repairing - that's $800 - getting close to replace the darn thing. And if it does break after a repair that just creates a ton of bad "yelp" reviews because few people take the time to give "good" reviews.

But I think the most salient point is how to keep a crew of techs busy in the off season? I think given some good thought about it one might be able to. However more likely is what I see around here - About 4-5 RV places that are private small crew businesses and a few RV dealers that have a shop because, well, they have to...

When Detroit was threatened by the Asian car maker, they eventually realized that service was crucial to brand loyalty.  A buyer with a bad Chevy experience soon became a "conquest" by another brand and the Asian brands were focusing on customer satisfaction rather than styling. The low prices didn't hurt, but few "foreign car buyers" were complaining about the car or the service. Rather the opposite. Detroit set about to remake their quality and service image. It took decades (and $billions), but they achieved it.

We also trained our kids that the path to success lies in a "college" education and not the trades. We stopped teaching auto shop, metal shop and wood shop in high school so this next generation can't really fix anything.
Boy, that's another topic I'd love to get off on!  We went from "get an education" to "get a college degree" and failed to note the difference.  Recently I was reading about pay scales and one young lady lamented that she had a college degree yet her bank teller job paid "only" $15/hour. She couldn't understand why "they" didn't pay her more. The concept of merit or value of her labor never entered her [college-educated] mind. Just the fact she had a degree and expected to be paid better.  She never mentioned what the degree was - maybe Underwater Basket Weaving?

This sounds like I am denigrating bank tellers, but my daughter was one for a few years and one of my nephews is the head teller at a major credit union. It's a meaningful job but a person of average intelligence can learn the trade in a couple weeks and become expert in a year or two.  It's more about attitude and attention to detail than high skill.  On the other hand, jobs that are important to keeping the economy/society functioning are often under-valued.  Tellers, store cashiers, stock clerks, servers, etc.

Excellent observations, Gary and Dan.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
When Detroit was threatened by the Asian car maker, they eventually realized that service was crucial to brand loyalty.  A buyer with a bad Chevy experience soon became a "conquest" by another brand and the Asian brands were focusing on customer satisfaction rather than styling. The low prices didn't hurt, but few "foreign car buyers" were complaining about the car or the service. Rather the opposite. Detroit set about to remake their quality and service image. It took decades (and $billions), but they achieved it.

But the newcomers mad some mistakes along the way, too. In 1968 we bought a Toyota Corona, a decent car, so in 1970 we replaced it with a Toyota Crown, which was a beautiful car, but we had the engine throw a rod and reverse go out in the transmission (and a couple of other things), all within the first year and a half, or so. In spite of all we've heard, we still never bought another Toyota, though we finally looked at them a year ago (didn't buy anything though).

Cars are disposable like all your household appliances.
Wife drives a 2002 Mercury Marquis that we bought new. I drive a 2007 F-150 we bought new. So far we can keep them going at reasonable cost.

We discovered that appliances (and a LOT of other things) are not made to be repaired. And you can't buy individual parts, just parts "packages" if they will sell them to you at all. And now, whether appliances, phones, stereos, even eyeglass frames, they seem to want new models out at least every year or sometimes even more frequently. As y'all are saying, it's all about sales and trying to make things you already have obsolete to force you to buy a new one. Also, retail stick and brick stores are all about high volume sales, often forcing me to buy online to get what I want (if it's available), even though I'd MUCH rather buy locally.

I miss the stores where the sales folks know more than I do (or know anything at all for that matter) about their products, beyond models, price and a few key features.

A throw away society indeed...

The replacement parts industry is rarely what people think it is. The actual cost of the part is seldom a significant factor in the pricing - it's all about the number of sales/year ("turns", in the trade). The cost of stocking a part and delivering it to the customer often outweighs the production cost by 10x or more.  We've all seen it - the cost to package and ship a $0.50 part is $8 or more.

You left out, no one likes working on poorly designed, and poorly assembled stuff.
Sort of, but there are RV's that aren't all that bad from a design and assembly viewpoint. Nowhere near perfect, but quite decent. The motorized ones tend to start at $500k and run north of $1M. Trailers in the $120k+ range. Most buyers are in shock at those price points, but that's what it takes to build decently.  Good quality plumbing , electric, cabinetry, etc. don't come cheap.

Gary, your analysis is good, as far as it goes, but I believe that you have missed the root cause of the problem, The real root cause of the RV service problems is the same as the root cause of the lack of quality in the RV industry

The basic problem is that there are far too many RV manufacturers, each making far too few RVs each. Despite the fact that annual auto sales exceed annual RV sales by several orders of magnitude, the number of RV manufacturers is at least an order of magnitude greater than the number of automobile manufacturers.

Compared to the efficient, large scale production facilities of the auto industry, the RV industry almost looks like a bunch of mom and pop operations, where the product is essentially hand crafted. The result is not even poor quality. If we take as a definition of quality as "Conformance to Specifications," then most RV have no quality. they cant, becaust they have no real specifications.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
]
Compared to the efficient, large scale production facilities of the auto industry, the RV industry almost looks like a bunch of mom and pop operations, where the product is essentially hand crafted. The result is not even poor quality. If we take as a definition of quality as "Conformance to Specifications," then most RV have no quality. they cant, because they have no real specifications.

One of the reasons there are no real specifications is that many manufacturers permit way too much customization IMO.  Back in 1963 when my dad and I spec'd a new Galaxy 500 you could go crazy specifying all sorts of small options, many of which only cost a couple of dollars.  It didn't take the auto industry all that long to realize that this was an idiotic way to run a mass production business.  You get economies of scale when you have "scale".  The RV industry barely has the scale, in any one product line, to achieve much from standardization and then it dilutes what economies it could get by letting buyers spec all sorts of little stuff.  There's nothing wrong IMO in telling buyers "that's just the way we make them!"  You can buy one and modify it later.  Plenty of people do that with cars and trucks.

Joel (AKA docj)

Great write up Gary.  But one thing is for certain, and I tell many new RV buyers. You cannot compare a car, any car to the average RV.  Even at 5 to 10 times the price of a new car, an RV does dozens, if not hundreds of functions. The car does one, two if you count the radio playing music.  That enables the car to be mass produced by machines, with humans doing the details. 

RV's are produced almost entirely by humans. And then to make it worse after it's all screwed, stapled and glued together, we haul them out on a road that is in dire need of maintenance, and bounce the heck out of them for hours at a time.  There is plenty of room in the RV industry for improvement. But trying to compare it to the build standards of a car is just not reasonable. 

Excellent write up Gary thanks for sharing.

SargeW said:
Great write up Gary.  But one thing is for certain, and I tell many new RV buyers. You cannot compare a car, any car to the average RV.  Even at 5 to 10 times the price of a new car, an RV does dozens, if not hundreds of functions. The car does one, two if you count the radio playing music.  That enables the car to be mass produced by machines, with humans doing the details. 

RV's are produced almost entirely by humans. And then to make it worse after it's all screwed, stapled and glued together, we haul them out on a road that is in dire need of maintenance, and bounce the heck out of them for hours at a time.  There is plenty of room in the RV industry for improvement. But trying to compare it to the build standards of a car is just not reasonable. 

This is sure true.

Yes an RV has many components and functions, but that is no excuse for poor workmanship, quality control, inferior materials/components used in the manufacture of said RV. Yes, to get a quality RV,  providing a better product would increase the cost of the RV. Sadly this would eliminate many from the ownership of a new RV of inferior quality. However, not everyone has the privilege of aristocracy, champagne and caviar!  For those of us that are citizens normal means .....ownership of a quality used RV will surpass the disappointments of owning a new one of inferior manufacturer!  memtb

The odd thing is there are actually very few top level companies in the rv world.
They could do like GM did for many years and produce many brands and models on one assembly line.
The could save money on assembly and get more standardization.

The dealers could retain techs in the off season by offering off season service in exchange for storage.

They could do like GM did for many years and produce many brands and models on one assembly line.
That's pretty much what they do these days. Rev Group produces the entire Fleetwood, American Coach, Monaco and Holiday Rambler motorhome line-up in one factory.  Forest River is mostly one factory. Thor Motorhomes too. Many of the offerings are "badge sisters", clones that are the same except for the name plate and minor trim varaiants.

It's tempting to try to make analogies with the automobile industry, but hardly anything in the RV world is the same or even similar beyond the superficial.  RVs are much more like houses than cars and production is likewise more like mobile homes than cars. Built to a general plan with many common pieces, but not really mass production.

Back
Top Bottom