Would like opinions if possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alann

Ok, I pick up my Airstream on Monday.  My state (Va.) will allow it to be registered as either an RV or a Van.  Here is the delema:  Property tax...RV is one dollar per hundred of value, Van FOUR dollars per hundred!  My condos do not allow "Recreational Vehicles" to be parked here.  If I register as a van I will pay 3240.00 per year  :eek:  As an RV only 1/4th of that but, Condo's could not argue it is an RV.  I am going to register it as an RV for financial reasons and park it here.  If Condo raises cain I guess I will have to re-register it.  Do you think this passes as a Van to most people?

Attachments

• small sprinter1.jpg
    small sprinter1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 38
Can you park it in one space? That might make a difference in what your condo considers an RV vs. a van. Have you asked the condo admin if it's ok to park?

Not all but most Condo associations, that I've been around, do not a Allow RV Parking And just titling a unit as a van does not constitute to be a van.  If it's an RV it's an RV.  It states Airstream and it's manufactured it's an RV. States and Condo Associations frown on that stuff. I'd check things out legally before making decisions.  JMO

We keep our van that we use as an RV in a storage lot.  We can park it at home but w two cars it gets in the way.  The storage cost per year is not that high.

"And just titling a unit as a van does not constitute to be a van".....yes it does :)

According to my son (lawyer) the above statement is not true.  If the state and city allow it to be titled and tagged as a van it is legally a van.  Why?  Because the state cannot tax you for an auto (higher rate) if the item is an RV(lower rate). I am not looking for legal advice, just opinions.  Thanks.

Don't try that in Illinois  Some people are currently paying dearly for those tactics.  If it's manufacture as an RV  it Stays an RV when inspected.  Various states may look at it differently.  Had two buddies  each had a Van listed as an RV to get around the truck inspection laws.  When caught the had to pay-up all back fees and licencing registrations, plus a hefty fine. So you take your chances.

And, Alann, don't forget that in VA they allow RV's to be considered as a second home and you can claim that on your income taxes! I don't think you could claim it on taxes registered as a van. Maybe by claiming it on your taxes, what you save would possibly go towards the storage costs for it if your condo won't allow you to keep it there. Might be something to consider, along with everything else you have to think about!

LuAnn

To me "RV" can mean anything.  We have an MG that is strictly recreational for us.  Would your complex call ilt an RV also?  You need to talk with them and get something in writing.

You can get all kinds of opinions here but it all boils down to what your condo association says. If they say it's an RV and you can't park it there, well, then it's an RV and you can't park it there.

Wendy

Got a letter from my Home-Owners-Association a while back stating "You must move your RV".

I emailed back claiming it was just a van!...No further warnings to this date!

My 2006 long/tall Sprinter was converted by 'yours truly' with no exterior markings, except for AC and bath fan exhaust.

Spoke to Prez of association.  He stated it is a van, driven daily so if anyone complains he will let them know it is within the rules.  :)

alann said:
Spoke to Prez of association.  He stated it is a van, driven daily so if anyone complains he will let them know it is within the rules.  :)

Get it in writing.

I really really don't like Home Owners Assns!

I've got a concrete parking area, behind my house and garages that is about 3650 sq ft.  My yard is completely fenced in, behind the leading edges of my home, by a 6' 6" fence.

Because the top of the rolled-up Bimini top could be seen from an elevated street, 1/4 miles down the road, I've been made to remove my trailered boat to storage (to the tune of $190 per month storage cost).

Our CC&Rs say that there's to be no vehicle over 6' 6" visible (shucks, my F150 4X4 is probably 1 or 2 inches taller than that) and I purchased a Roadtrek 190V this year - that certainly is higher than 6'6".

There is, however, a stealthie spot where the garages and the house join at a 90? angle and that's where I park my RV.

Good deal that your Prez said it's "OK" to keep your Van at home but just keep in mind that Assn boards change periodically and opinions/approvals could also change.  A previous post suggested getting the approval "in writing" - might get ya "Grandfather" rights.....bill 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom