Onan 5500 run's great but does not produce any power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hag82d

Hey folks, new to this forum and having problem with a 2006 Onan 5500 installed in a gas Southwind.  Had a about 20 months down due to some medical issues and now the generator does not provide any power to the coach.  When connected to the shore power, no problem at all, everything on panel lights and works fine.  However when running off the gen, the panel is dark and there seems to be no power being generated.  Never had any problems, about 75 hrs on unit, not much dry camping, mostly plugged into RV parks.  Unit is a model # 5.5HGJAB-1038D Spec: D.  Checked the breakers several times and have gone through the house breakers and fuses.  Kind of at a loss, saw that others with similar where advised to check system, however spend most of my youth pushing an radio car and do not really have a place to start looking.  Can pick up a meter to start testing, but need a push in the right direction.  Saw where a lot of stand-alone generator can lose their spark, but nothing located about this with RV mounted units.  Any help?  Thank's JR

Welcome to the RVForum. Here are a few suggestions... When you say you've checked the breakers, have you cycled them? I think there are two breakers on the Onan 5500. Circuit breakers can look like they're set, when they're actually tripped. If they are tripped, the only way to reset them is to turn them off, then back on again.

I'm assuming you have an auto-transfer switch. If so, it may not be switching between shore power and generator power, and it may need to be replaced or fixed. You can find it by following the wires from the shore power cord. Just make sure you disconnect from power before working on it.

Are you getting any flashing lights on the generator's start switch? If so, the number of flashes corresponds to a fault code.

When generators sit for extended periods of time, they can lose their magnetism and may have to be re-flashed. When that happens, the generator will run, but it doesn't produce power. The process of re-flashing it is not difficult, and it's something you can usually do yourself. You can find some info on it in this discussion.    http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,122453.msg1118645.html#msg111864

Kev

Flight Systems has a great trouibleshooting guide available.  Off hand, there is a control board on the Onan that would not let it run if not producing power; so likely the problem is the the generator breakers, or the transfer switch.  Easy to check both with a decent test set.
Good luck, hope you find a simple solution.

Sound advice from Kevin. From phil-t as well, but I hope you don't need the Flight Sytem's info!

Odds are the genset itself is working and the problem is genset breaker or auto-transfer switch. You need to dig in with a voltmeter and determine where power is present and where it is lost. That will narrow down the search for the failing part.

phil-t said:
Flight Systems has a great trouibleshooting guide available.  Off hand, there is a control board on the Onan that would not let it run if not producing power; so likely the problem is the the generator breakers, or the transfer switch.  Easy to check both with a decent test set.
Good luck, hope you find a simple solution.
  NOT ALL Onans have that feature. Some of them DO run without producing power so don't go entirely by that..

NOT ALL Onans have that feature.
True enough, but this is a 2006 vintage Onan 5500 and they do have extensive self-diagnostics and will typically shut itself down with a code 3-27 (no voltage) if it's not producing power.    Best, though, to get the actual model (generator family number) and  spec level so you (& we) will know exactly what it can do. The model & spec level will be on the Onan name plate.  I'm guessing a 2006 5500 is a Marquis Gold model HGJAB, but the spec level could be  one of several.

I'd start with the Onan RV Handbook which has high level info and help for all models plus info on finding model & spec level data.
https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.com/owners/3rdparty/Cummins-Onan-RV-Generator-Handbook.pdf

This Op manual probably applies, or at least is very close:  https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/manuals/CO_5500_7000_EVAP_Man.pdf

Thanks everyone . Conversation was really helpful for me. My Onan generator that I purchased from a website, is 3 yrs old.
I checked the brushes and they are good.
I wanna know the cost to replace the rotor. Really hard to believe the rotor is bad with so few hours, but stuff happens. The local Onan repair place will not work on it because it is an RV generator and I have removed it from the RV to use it as a back up generator. Live in rural Tennessee and tornado ally, so power can go out often.

Thanks everyone . Conversation was really helpful for me. My Onan generator that I purchased from a website, is 3 yrs old.
I checked the brushes and they are good.
I wanna know the cost to replace the rotor. Really hard to believe the rotor is bad with so few hours, but stuff happens. The local Onan repair place will not work on it because it is an RV generator and I have removed it from the RV to use it as a back up generator. Live in rural Tennessee and tornado ally, so power can go out often.
When mine did the same thing (ran fine, no power) I took it to Onan. They quoted me around $2300 for a rotor, stator, and a couple of small parts that are behind all that that are changed "while they're in there". I was okay with that, except that mine was also using oil and smoking. By the time they factored in the engine rebuild we were in new unit territory. I ended up getting a used, low hour (150) 7k from AZ RV Salvage in Phoenix, installed for about $2900.
My original had about 1350 hours on it and died with no warning. Worked fine one morning, didn't the next.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damusicduo
Back
Top Bottom