rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Issues found in inspection  (Read 1384 times)

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Issues found in inspection
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 06:42:56 AM »
We already have a Jeep which is apparently a great car for towing behind an RV (since you can disconnect the transmission easily).  So it seems like a truck and a fifth wheel would be a more expensive route to go (for roughly equivalent quality etc.).  Am I mistaken about that?
It was just an alternative but having a jeep to tow is great as you can get out exploring in it!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

jaunvie

• ---
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »
I'll be honest, as soon as I read the roof was leaking, I stopped reading and decided to share a little story with you.

My parents had an older motorhome for 3-4 years, with NO indication from the seller of any issue with the roof. But then, It started leaking around the air conditioner so they had it professionally fixed (campers world I think, but I'm not positive) I think $1000 or so. It was good for almost a year, then it leaked again. They took it back and got it fixed again. I think it lasted 4-5 months...and yep, leaking again. So then back it went. About 1 year later, both the AC AND the bathroom vent was leaking. So once again... back it went.

When it started leaking again after 2 months, my parents were through dealing with it and they sold it to my boss for (probably even below) salvage price. (Paid ~$50,000, and like 7-8 years later sold it for $3000. Plus what they paid taking it in to get fixed)

My boss ended up stripping the entire roof and redoing the fiberglass on it. (Because he had the manpower and money and time, I guess. I don't know, he's nuts.)  When they took all the coatings and everything off, they found a deep, giant crack from one side of the roof to the other. There was no doubt that at some point a very large tree branch had fallen on it and it was either not repaired properly, or repaired enough so there was almost no way to tell what was under all the the coating. They DID NOT have an inspection when they bought it. (And now know better...)

I definitely would never personally buy any RV that I KNOW has ever had roof damage. That is a complete deal breaker for me now. And, although, I don't think the roof ever leaked again after my boss fixed it. I can tell you it took 3-4 guys, working full time, over a month to complete the project. And I don't think most places would have gone as far as he did.  (And if they did, I would HATE to see the bill)

I guess, If someone had the ability, free time, spare change, and a complete disregard for their own sanity... then I could see them doing it. But as soon as I hear the words "roof leak", even if it's been "repaired", I'm afraid I'm done.

I'm glad you had the inspection. (I'll bet you are too) good luck finding something. Keep looking and you'll find the perfect one for you.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »
dsplaisted, I went back and reread your first post where you outlined your plans for the RV. For your purpose a gas coach will work just fine. Don't fall for the "you need a small coach to get in to National parks" bit. I have been to most of them and many times all the places in the parks are full no matter what you have. Just stay outside the park and take the jeep. Allso full timing with kids size does matter. Size = storage and living space.
I would look at places like PPL Motorhomes. They are a consignment dealer. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
You can look at floorplans and there is a section so you can see what things sold for.
Let us know how your search is going.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP ISM Cummins
Allison 4000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Larry Howard

• ---
  • Forest River, Rockwood, Geo Pro 17, year 2018
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
If you proceed with this purchase, you are ignoring what you came here looking for.

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2020, 04:37:25 PM »
Larry, he already said he's going to pass on it.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

Sweetsurrender

• ---
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2020, 03:50:36 PM »
Good advice apparently taken!  Sorry your search continues, but it will be worth it.  It's a fun thing, this RV stuff.

As for the jeep...you probably already checked it out, but just in case, if your Jeep is something like a Grand Cherokee or Cherokee, it requires the 2 speed transfer unit to be towable four down. If it's a Cherokee and is pre 2019, it will also need a towing harness installed.  As for the other models, I am not clear on which are and aren't towable.  There are a ton of Wranglers being hauled around behind motorohomes, and they are certainly very popular!  Anyhow, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck! 
2019  29ft. Jayco Greyhawk
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Home is Henderson, Nevada
2 dogs navigating on the road

dsplaisted

• ---
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2020, 09:01:04 PM »
Thanks folks.  Just as an update, we bought an RV last week and took our first trip with it this weekend.  It's a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38G.

Thanks a bunch for all the help.  You can see in my other posts some of the things that I'm still learning :-)