rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Back-up cameras: Wired vs Wireless  (Read 293 times)

hub0717

Back-up cameras: Wired vs Wireless
« on: July 09, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »
Any thoughts on wireless vs wired backup cameras?

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
Re: Back-up cameras: Wired vs Wireless
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 12:48:44 PM »
I bought this one to replace the failed backup camera in my NTM RV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DV9ZR4T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I probably didn't think it all the way through as I decided I wanted it on full time as a rear view camera which requires ignition power (not reverse light power available at the rear bumper) so the old camera was wired and I used the existing camera cable as a power cable for the camera. So if you want a rear view camera, you will end up running ignition power to the camera.

As to how it works - this little camera is great. Even at night it was better than the side mirror for seeing stuff. The camera angle is nice and wide and buy the time a passing car disappeared from camera view I can clearly clock them in the side mirrors.

At night when cars approach color is still available but when cars are far in the distance it ultimately converts to B&W. Instructions and documentation were still clearly "chinese" english but I've seen a lot worse.

The only nit I have is that the camera bracket is limited in its tilt range but it did come with several dash and rear camera barcket pieces and there were enough bits to make it all work out fine.

Final note is that the 7 inch screen is great. I don't think I would like any smaller for an RV.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 12:52:26 PM by Ex-Calif »
"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 02:13:12 PM »
I tried a couple of wireless cameras but encountered electrical interference from many known and unknown sources. Picture was never as clear as with a wired system. I recommend a wide angle camera so you can see overhanging limbs as well as the ground when backing. I bought a cheapo Pyle license plate camera with 7" monitor combo from Walmart online for $50. For that price I didn't figure it would last but it still has a sharp color picture after 5 years. I had to splice in longer wiring since my MH is 30' long. I also wired mine to the ignition because mirrors can't see a small car tailgating. I attached my monitor to the mount for the totally useless rear view mirror on the windshield.

This is a similar unit: https://www.walmart.com/ip/PYLE-PLCM7500-Rear-View-Backup-Car-Camera-Screen-Monitor-System-w-Parking-Reverse-Assist-Safety-Distance-Scale-Lines-Waterproof-Night-Vision-7-LCD-vi/23851936
Retired computer automation programmer
1997 30' Class C plus 2008 popup
DW loves camping more than I do!

tote

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 01:35:52 AM »
My RV did not have a back up camera when I bought it.
I never really understood the reason for having a rear camera that works only when the vehicle is in reverse.
Mine is hard wired to a switch that matches my headlight switch, but a little smaller in size, and mounted right next to it too.
Now I can see behind me any time I want. Really helps on a slow moving traffic jammed freeway.