First trip with new tt didn't go so well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's see: You have taken care of the steps and a leak.

Now you can look forward to dumping in the wrong place, backing into something, leaving pets or family members and various pieces of camping equipment behind, taking wrong route, etc.  ;D ;D ;D

We have all learned our little lessons.  I still think I am going to rip off my tail gate of my truck when hooking up.  Luckly so far, my 12 year old assistant has saved me a on one or two occasions.  I posted this earlier this summer when we were waiting to dump our waste tanks at St. Joe State Park in Missouri.  The guy ahead of us did not check his dump valves and opened his cap only to be awash with a weekend's worth of bad smelling stuff.  We felt bad for him but could do little more than watch and close the windows to our truck.  Put this on you list to make sure all of the dump valves are closed before opening the cap.  Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.  My trailer is still dent free but it only takes a minute of inattention.

Have fun and see you out there!

We have had a few sories of folks performing HFWPOH events such as you mentioned.  It kind of helps remind us to pay attention to what we are doing. ;D  (HFWPOH = Hit Forhead With Palm Of Hand)

Oh man! The dump valves are one mistake I do not look forward to making! Hopefully I will not be making that one.

The more trips you do the more you will be organized and come up with a routine of doing things. This is a great place for advice and technical knowledge and will sometimes help you avoid a bad situation in advance. You can also get good advice from fellow campers at the campgrounds, from our experience they are always willing to help. Good luck and have fun!

DavidM49 said:
Put this on you list to make sure all of the dump valves are closed before opening the cap.

Actually, I believe it is more important to check the dump valves before putting anything into the tanks!  Before dumping seems a bit late in the process.

When I bought my motorhome, I thought the valves were fully closed.  Turns out the valve for the black tank was open marginally.  That's enough to fill the entire drain tube with unpleasant liquid.

Very unpleasant liquid.

Tonight was my first dump experience.  Learned a few lessons.  Like make sure the hose you have will reach.  If the flower bed around the sewer hookup were any larger, the hose would not have reached.

Tomorrow I plan to order a new (longer, non-leaky) hose or two and a clear section to be able to see what is happening.

jim

baadpuppy said:
Actually, I believe it is more important to check the dump valves before putting anything into the tanks!  Before dumping seems a bit late in the process.

Excellent point  ;D

And remember, experience is that thing you gain usually right *after* you need it.  :D

baadpuppy said:
Tomorrow I plan to order a new (longer, non-leaky) hose or two and a clear section to be able to see what is happening.

Do yourself a favor and order the Rhino Hose like camping world carries.  Cost more but lasts much longer.

After 30 years of RVing it is fun to manage an 8000 mile trip without any major mishaps.

If only I not had all those expensive lessons getting here! ;D ;D ;D

baadpuppy said:

Jim,

Not too many years ago I organized a "Fashion show " at Quartzsite  for  the guys to show the "important"  items to the Red Hat ladies at our rally.  I will never ever forget that Jim Johnson  shared his  clear plastic sewer connector that he described as a "sh** show-er."  I've never forgotten it and watch this clear plastic thingy with fascination every time we dump.  It does what he said.  In my mind it is a requirement for the RV experience.

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
Jim Johnson  shared his  clear plastic sewer connector that he described as a "sh** show-er."  I've never forgotten it and watch this clear plastic thingy with fascination every time we dump.  It does what he said.  In my mind it is a requirement for the RV experience.

What? No TV?  ::)

"sh** show-er"  LOL

We also have the clear sewer connector and my 8year old is amazed at it when we dump. Kids can be so funny with things like that, she was watching the "stuff" while I was dumping and she looks up at me and says " Did you see that big one dad? It was mine". ;D

Did you see that big one dad?

LOL!!!  That is sooooo something my YDD would have done.  Maybe even now, she's 24.

That's toooo funny. Last thing I want to do is be close enough to the sewer hose to see certain items pass through. If you're that close, than you can also smell what's passing through the hose. Definitely a blue job.

Wendy

wendycoke said:
That's toooo funny. Last thing I want to do is be close enough to the sewer hose to see certain items pass through. If you're that close, than you can also smell what's passing through the hose.

TMI  :)  ::)  :-X    ;D

Betty

That means (Too Much Information) if you had to ask.

wendycoke said:
Hey, I'm not the one with a clear sewer connector

I sure am, following a recommendation by staffer Steve Pally. Our local marina also has a "clear connector" for pumping out our boats, which I very much appreciate.

Back
Top Bottom