If America was never discovered,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ziplock

What do you traveling people think this land would be like?

Indians still hunting buffalo?  And wolves hunting, and birds, and well...???..

So very much to think about.

Waving.

Millions would still be enslaved by their rulers, tribes would be attacking others, so nothing would be different.

There is no politically correct answer to the question.

Assuming no other European power settled North America including Canada - one outcome would be a North American Continent that operates largely like central and South America. It's up to ones stereotypical view of Latin America to decide if that is a good thing or not. Of course then you have to ask are we assuming the Spanish did not discover and colonize south America. The question is really would have / could have the tribes of north and south America formed into a unified government with enough tech to protect themselves before someone ultimately showed up on the shores. Depending on your viewpoint indications are they would not have - they were too far behind in terms of organizing and tech compared to northern Europe.

On a broader scale, assuming France and the UK won WWI without US help (possible) they would definitely have lost WWII and the entire globe would be speaking German or Japanese assuming Hitler could tolerate a Japanese super-power.

Alternately Germany and Japan would have gone after each other and we'd all likely speak pretty good German today assuming one was/is Aryan.

One could ask, "What about Russia?" - One could argue that after Stalingrad Russia could have held their ow for a long while. But there is no indication that Russia had the tech - Germany already has the missiles and likely they could have/would have developed nukes before Russia or England, assuming it played the same way and England survived the Battle of Britain.

So a pretty wide ranging answer.

OTOH there could be millions of indigenous Americans happily hunting buffalo with bone tipped spears and wearing deer skin clothes - But I doubt it - LOL...

Why would you think they would have gotten a pass on world evolution.

Does that mean we would all still be living in the 13th century.

The natives fought amongst themselves, it was not a utopia

Like it or not all things change

Robert K said:
Why would you think they would have gotten a pass on world evolution.

Does that mean we would all still be living in the 13th century.

The natives fought amongst themselves, it was not a utopia

Like it or not all things change

Not always. There are peoples living in Mexico, along the Amazon River, New Zealand, China and Russia almost the same as 4 centuries ago

The original question's simple answer is that someone else would soon have discovered the American continents.

In subsequent replies, there are many assumptions that seem to pretend there would be no technical progress and no further exploration.

Let me see maybe no Syphilis, no firearms,  no alcohol, stronger family (tribal ) bonds

The American continents would not have remained undiscovered for all that long, since there were plenty of other explorers who'd have made the discovery if Columbus had stayed home. So the Industrial Revolution would have still happened (it didn't start in America) and there still would have been a migration of European peoples to the western hemisphere, though the time frame might have been delayed for a short while, and some details would likely be different.

So it's not as drastic a possible change as some might imagine.

If America had never been discovered, then that would mean the rest of the world would still be back in the 1300s technology too. There isn't anyway one could have a space craft and not have seen the Americas.

Except for Columbus discovering America most of this discussion has been interesting
Columbus did not discover America.
His crew enslaved the indigenous people where he landed and when the people rebelled Columbus KILLED THEM ALL.
This was on Hispaniola the island of the present day Dominican Republic and Haiti.
He never set foot in North, South or Central America.
To help history further just so that the queen would finance his voyages some believe he renounced his Italian Citizenship to get the voyages financed

There is a lot of what we "Know" about the native Americans and how they lived that is so much hogwash as my dad would have said.. I have done a LITTLE research and have a few friends who are far more into the truth of that time than I am.  But..  Let me give you an example.

There was a TV ad some years back, that showed a man in Native American dress walking through the woods up to  a stream and there was some litter floating there and he sheds a tear.

He was dressed as a Forest indian, not a plains indian (yes they dress differently) and in the woods.
Forest indians are also called Tee Pee dwellers.. A Tee Pee is a type of tent. Easily moved from place to place.. Where as the plains indians are also known as pueblo builders.  A Pueblo is a major undertaking of a building some of which have stood in the same spot for over a hundred years.  I might add that builders today in those areas can still learn from them.

So why did the forest tribes use portable housing?  Because once they had taken all the land had to give. Slaughtered the animals for food.  Trashed the soil and fowled the water. The could easily pack up and move.....  EXACTLY LIKE THE WHITE MAN.  (least anyone thing I'm putting them down).

But we all know how they lived in harmony with nature (The plains tribes did yes)

The reason Nature did so well back then was numbers  A tribe of say 200 V/s a City of 200,000 or 2,000,000 and that would have been a big tribe.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Columbus was far from the first European to make it to North America.  Many Forum members have been to L'Anse Aux Meadows, on the northern peninsula of Newfoundland.  It is the location of a Viking expedition, also there are several Portuguese colonies up and down the east coast.
    Plus as hinted above, there is no way that the advances from around the world would not have made their way to North America.  Although many of these were first invented in north America, many were invented/discovered in many other countries

Ed

The replies are interesting to me.

When our parents were growing up, Columbus discovered America.  When we were growing up, he sailed in circles.

I was just thinking if no one found this land but the people that were always here were still the only ones living here?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Did ya ever notice that people read 3 words of a post and then write a novel about something that wasn't even related to the topic?

Doesn't matter if its a crappy water heater, broken awning, stuttering generator...???.someone only reads the first three words.  Cracks me up.  But, ya know why they do that?  They are professionals.  Shoo.

ziplock said:
The replies are interesting to me.

When our parents were growing up, Columbus discovered America.  When we were growing up, he sailed in circles.

I was just thinking if no one found this land but the people that were always here were still the only ones living here?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Did ya ever notice that people read 3 words of a post and then write a novel about something that wasn't even related to the topic?

Doesn't matter if its a crappy water heater, broken awning, stuttering generator...???.someone only reads the first three words.  Cracks me up.  But, ya know why they do that?  They are professionals.  Shoo.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh ,well if no one ever discovered America then they all would have lived happily ever after.
The end  ;D

Even if we accept the premise that the indigenous natives of North America remained isolated and undiscovered by the outside world, we can't ignore the changes that would occur through natural evolution and innovation. Mankind has continually grown and learned since first crawling out of the ocean. The First People weren't born knowing how to build teepees and make bows and arrows...

We have discovered civilizations rose and declined in the Americas. They would become very advanced then decline back to the stone age. Where we are probably headed today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom