Alternative methods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvan

So you bought a 5th wheel camper, but you don?t own a truck? No problem!

Attachments

• 03C56261-A795-4183-9433-BC06BEE82E02.jpeg
    03C56261-A795-4183-9433-BC06BEE82E02.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 74
I don't know, a year or so ago I saw a truck pulling a 5th wheel, pulling a jeep, pulling an aluminum boat going down the highway at about 45 mph in a 55 mph zone about 5 miles from my house.  The whole chain simply rippled as it crossed onto a small bridge.  (the nearest boat ramp was about 10 miles away)

SpencerPJ said:
Who said it was legal  ;) ;D

Great pic, can you imagine seeing that out and about  ;D ;D

Perhaps I should ask what states are you likely to see such,um,creative problem solving. 

A couple of years ago I was at a campground at the top of Raton pass. There was a group  of about 6 came in all were towing 2 trailers behind their RV and some had tow behind RVs. I don't recall where they were registered. But they said they do it all the time. They had a place where they go off roading together. Not for me, I have enough with the RV and toad.
Bill

At the place I was at last week a guy pulled in Thursday with a 5th wheel and a toad on the back of that. I didn't even think it was legal to do that but then someone told me different states have different laws about chaining towables so, meh...

The issue for me was it was a really long rig. I could not imagine negotiating any smaller roads, towns with that thing and heaven forbid trying to back it or turn it around - route planning would be crucial.

Other than it looking ugly, not being an elegant solution to towing what looks like a pretty small 5th wheel and needing a drop hitch on the tow vehicle to level the first trailer out, I don't see that rig as being unsafe or anything. In fact if one could make a purpose built "5th wheel adapter" I bet they'd sell a few of them...

Where is this even legal?
This would be considered a "triple tow" and there are 28 states that allow some form of triple towing of RVs.  Don't know how many of those might allow this particular set-up, though, cause restrictions and limits vary a widely. Here's one reference source:  https://www.gillettesinterstaterv.com/can-you-triple-tow-an-rv-legality-and-safety/

Now whether it's a good idea or not is an entirely different question!

Back
Top Bottom