rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Shurflo Water Pump Issues  (Read 286 times)

ponton

• ---
Shurflo Water Pump Issues
« on: July 12, 2020, 04:07:24 PM »
We don't use the freshwater tank and only use the pump to winterize. So this spring before heading north from Florida I went to winterize the lines as I have done for five years straight with no problem. This year the pump wouldn't pick up the antifreeze from the jug. I figured the pump was bad so I used an air compressor and blew the lines out so we could get home. I just now installed a new pump and it doesn't work either. So I figure the fault is me not the pump. Disconnected hoses and looked for kinks. The new pump has a new strainer and it is tight. I can blow air through the intake line and through the out to the vanity sink faucet. Putting my fingers over the ends of the pump I can feel no suction or air pressure at all. Shouldn't I feel some pressure? It appears to me the new pump is bad but I would like to confirm that before I ship it back.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Shurflo Water Pump Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
Assuming there's no blockage somewhere, such as a clogged screen at the output of the tank, I've found that a new or reconnected pump will need help priming. The way it's worked for me is to disconnect the line from the output of the pump and run it until water comes out, then reconnect the output line.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

ponton

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 04:42:32 PM »
I've done that and let it run for a half a minute but it doesn't suck the antifreeze. Should I let it run longer? it's less than 2 feet from the jug to the pump.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 05:03:17 PM »
Doesn't sound like it wants to prime, but running longer wouldn't hurt. Another regular suspect is a strainer attached to the input of the pump; But you said it was a new pump with a new (?) strainer, so that would rule that out.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

ponton

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »
I'm wondering if I should feel any suction or pressure with my fingers over the nozzles on the pump. I have it out on the bathroom floor and the hoses disconnected.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 05:11:27 PM »
With the hose from the tank, are you getting good flow through it?
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ponton

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 05:17:17 PM »
We've never used the freshwater tank. The valve to switch from the tank to the winterizing hose seems fine.

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 05:26:58 PM »
Do you have a valve that switches the pump input between the fresh water tank anthe piece of tubing that you insert into the bottle of antifreeze?

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

ponton

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 07:20:54 PM »
Yes I do. If I turn it to the winter position I can blow through it short hos. If I turn it to the tank then I can't. Seems right to me. I don't know how to check the valve for an air leak.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 07:43:14 PM »
Yes I do. If I turn it to the winter position I can blow through it short hos. If I turn it to the tank then I can't. Seems right to me. I don't know how to check the valve for an air leak.

Fold over the end of the hose and clamp  it with a pair of vice grips then try the pump again. The
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ponton

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 06:43:07 AM »
I will try that today. Still wondering if I hold my fingers over the nozzles on the pump should I feel some movement of air?