How is Rapid City Mt Mount Rushmore etc..these days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonestar Guy

Have a camping trip planned going from DFW TX to Rapid City area and just wondering if anyone can say if there are any issues of the 'protest' type these days up in that area. Of course, things could change in a couple weeks but just wondering. Maybe I should wait another week to ask, LOL. Also, if there are any travel/road issues between here and there. Stopping near Wichita, KS then North Platte, NE before arriving in Rapid City. Thanks!

Oh, are there archived or library articles that detail the best routes to take from city to city?

remember sturgis starts August 7 and the crowd  will start arriving around the 1st

We stayed at Hill City for a month, and left this past Sunday.  During that time, the only protest was when President Trump came to Mt. Rushmore for the fireworks that were held on the 3rd of July.  The protesters were mostly Lakota, numbered about one hundred, and they blocked a road.  When the SD National Guard announced that they would be deploying tear gas, all but 12 protesters left the road.  The 12 were quickly arrested.

Other than that one episode, everything is completely normal in the Rapid City area.

beaverfever said:
remember sturgis starts August 7 and the crowd  will start arriving around the 1st

We are aware of that. We leave there on the 1st! Ha! I bet there won't be any protesters during the festival....  :)

Arch Hoagland said:
https://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/ 

Might be interesting this year with Covid. 

Gary...do you have reservations yet?

Yes, reservations at USI RV Park. As for the festival, it will be interesting to see. I wonder if an old colleague of mine from work will be playing in his band... 'Black Frog'. That is some crazy dudes there. 

jayc2640 said:
We stayed at Hill City for a month, and left this past Sunday.  During that time, the only protest was when President Trump came to Mt. Rushmore for the fireworks that were held on the 3rd of July.  The protesters were mostly Lakota, numbered about one hundred, and they blocked a road.  When the SD National Guard announced that they would be deploying tear gas, all but 12 protesters left the road.  The 12 were quickly arrested.

Other than that one episode, everything is completely normal in the Rapid City area.

Thanks Jay! Good to know.

Lonestar Guy said:
Yes, reservations at USI RV Park. As for the festival, it will be interesting to see. I wonder if an old colleague of mine from work will be playing in his band... 'Black Frog'. That is some crazy dudes there.

That's wrong... USI RV Park is in Wichita KS. We'll be at Lake Park in Rapid City. Looks nice.

beaverfever said:
We were in Badlands, Black Hills and Rapid City last year during the Sturgis Rally.  Never had a problem with last minute rv parks, etc.  The bikers all seemed to small groups of riders, spread far and wide.  Though Wall was quite the busy place.

Closing out this topic for me... out trip to SD was fantastic! (July 26 - Aug 1) Didn't see a lick of trouble at Rushmore or anywhere. Loved everything we saw in the area. Only wished we'd camped out 'in the wilderness' vs in Rapid City as we spent most days driving 45-60 mins south, then back to town again. Also got to see the Bailey Rail Yard in North Platte during stop there. Very interesting. Neither was gassing up really a problem at all along the way. Loved taking the smaller highways north and south. Traffic was very light.

Bailey Train Yard is really neat if you are a train buff.

We were next to the diesel engine repair facilities and found out the engines must be able to blow their horns for one full minute.

Ask me how I know...

Arch Hoagland said:
Bailey Train Yard is really neat if you are a train buff.

We were next to the diesel engine repair facilities and found out the engines must be able to blow their horns for one full minute.

Ask me how I know...

Wow, I bet that was fun! We must have missed horn testing day.  8)  Actually, even for the non train buff, it's fascinating to see such a convergence of tracks and trains. Only wish my grandsons get to see it someday before they outgrown train love.

phil-t said:
We were in Badlands, Black Hills and Rapid City last year during the Sturgis Rally.  Never had a problem with last minute rv parks, etc.  The bikers all seemed to small groups of riders, spread far and wide.  Though Wall was quite the busy place.

Of course we did stop at Wall, lol. Not having been to that area or knowing anyone that had, we didn't know a thing about it until we started seeing signs going out to The Badlands. Then coming back to Rapid City, it became evident it was the thing to do. After returning and texting with a friend of mine from Australia and telling him about our great trip, the ONLY thing he asked was "Did you go to Wall's?".  ;D

The OP has already made his trip, but for those interested in visiting the Custer State Park area soon, next week (Sept. 24-25) is the annual buffalo roundup in Custer State Park. Unless you have reservations, it will be very difficult, if not near impossible, to find a campsite anywhere nearby...not to even mention the COVID restrictions that may be in place.

And that roundup is very much worthwhile seeing-- we've been there twice --but I don't know how that will be affected by COVID. I'm sure the roundup will happen, since it gets the bison in for checkups, culling, etc., but for the spectators there may be big differences.

OK, I just checked: Their website this year ( https://gfp.sd.gov/pages/buffalo-roundup/ ) mentions things to know:

•     Bring folding chairs, cameras, binoculars, layered clothing, rain gear and sun screen.

•     You will need to determine which viewing area you will be going to prior to Friday morning.  All vehicles will depart the way they entered. Motorcoaches welcomed.

•         North Parking and Viewing | Head south from the Game Lodge area on Wildlife Loop Road. (See green path on map.)
    •         South Parking and Viewing | Head east on Wildlife Loop Road near Blue Bell campground. (See red path on map.)

•   We encourage that you do not bring your camper. Call 605.255.4515 for drop-off locations. If you do bring it, follow the green route on the map, and you will be parked in the North Overflow Lot and be shuttled to the Roundup.

•     We encourage you to leave your pets at home. If you must bring them, they must remain in the vehicle.

I know the OP has already made his trip, but just in case anyone else is headed that way...

We just got back from out there a couple of weeks ago.  The roads were awesome, so little traffic. 

I would highly recommend if you're going to Mt Rushmore that you also visit Crazy Horse.  In my opinion, Crazy Horse was so much better.  The museum is really nice.  We paid a little extra to go on top of the monument and you can walk right out onto the outstretched arm which is the current construction site.  The view up there is great and you can stand right under Crazy Horses head.  My kids also liked Mt Rushmore but found Crazy Horse to be a much better stop. 

If you can, go to Crazy Horse when they have a Night Blast.  They're usually held twice a year, but I think this year's blasts have been postponed due to the virus.

You view it from the visitor center and there's music and speeches leading up to it.  The monument is lit by floodlights, then there's a lazer light show and fire snakes across the mountain as dozens of blasts loosen up rock for removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeZa9znLgsc

Here's my first look at the Crazy Horse monument. It was not ready for primetime. You can just see the hole that was to become his armpit.

Attachments

• 1970 Vac-034.jpg
    1970 Vac-034.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom