Bird flies 100 miles without flapping it's wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hfx_Cdn

For Tom, and others who may be interested in bird stories, this article about condors might be of interest: https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/andean-condor-flapping-1.5648657

Ed

Thanks Ed

Actually Condors flap their wings once or twice to take off, once to land and a few weak beats to loose altitude. They beat their wings once gently and then hold them closer to their body as they loose altitude. Then when they get to the altitude they want they spread their wings out and another gentle flap. It is amazing to watch the whole thing.

I was heavily involved in glider soaring in the late 70s early 80's.

My solo flight was, "Take a 1,000 foot tow, work your altitude to pattern altitude (about 300 feet) and land.  If you find any lift, stay out and have fun."

It was a weekend encampment/fly-in with the college flying club. My solo flight lasted 4.5 hours with altitude from 1,000 feet to almost 10,000 feet. There were a bunch of the more experienced guys encouraging me to head out cross country but I was too chicken. If I had the recording instruments on board I could have earned a lot soaring achievement badges.

And yes I shared those thermals with California Condors - Glider pilot trick, "Follow the birds!"

Didn't flap my wings once - LOL...

If you never done a glider ride I can highly recommend it, especially on a good summer day with lots of lift. It's amazing going up in altitude realizing that there is no engine on your airplane.

Atmospheric lift can sometimes be amazing. Back in the '70s I was towing (and sometimes flying) gliders from Coronado Airport (now defunct) on the north side of Albuquerque, elevation 5270. There were times when the lift at and above 10,000 MSL was amazing. On more than one flight, once getting above 10,000 I could just go in a straight line slowly gaining altitude (perhaps 50-150 feet per minute), without working the ridge, working thermals, or riding a mountain wave. Since we had a policy to stay within gliding range of the airport (commercial operation, SGS-232, 32:1 L/D, that is, glide ratio), after several miles I'd make a gentle turn back towards the airport, ultimately making an almost racetrack pattern several miles long.

Larry N. said:
Atmospheric lift can sometimes be amazing. Back in the '70s I was towing (and sometimes flying) gliders from Coronado Airport (now defunct) on the north side of Albuquerque, elevation 5270. There were times when the lift at and above 10,000 MSL was amazing. On more than one flight, once getting above 10,000 I could just go in a straight line slowly gaining altitude (perhaps 50-150 feet per minute), without working the ridge, working thermals, or riding a mountain wave. Since we had a policy to stay within gliding range of the airport (commercial operation, SGS-232, 32:1 L/D, that is, glide ratio), after several miles I'd make a gentle turn back towards the airport, ultimately making an almost racetrack pattern several miles long.

Yeah I crewed for a lot of guys chasing diamonds including my dad. He did diamond distance from basically Palmdale to North Las Vegas in almost a straight line in a Blanik!

He also held the Ca. 2-place altitude absolute and gain records for a while off a mountain wave day with electric socks and O2. "LA center this is Blanik N125DW requesting clearance for "casual" climb to 23,000 feet and we'll just be wandering around back and forth in terms of direction" - "WTF?"

I spent way too many weekends in HS driving glider trailers all over California and Nevada - LOL...

I remember one time we had the glider in at Cable airport and we did a few flights - we were flying the smog shearline - one wing in the LA smoke and one wing in the clear on a line from Upland, Ca to San Bernardino. Just able to hold altitude - LOL...

All good fun and memories.

A sailor and another quiet plane pilot,  I should have guessed.  Haven't been up in about forever.

Matt

My one glider ride was a fun experience.  Like sailing it was an unusual sensation of motion without motor noise.
In the shed where pilots gathered was a chalkboard with weather and wind information, plus this admonition:
"Maintain thy airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee."

msw3113 said:
My one glider ride was a fun experience.  Like sailing it was an unusual sensation of motion without motor noise.
In the shed where pilots gathered was a chalkboard with weather and wind information, plus this admonition:
"Maintain thy airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee."

We used to have little placards on the dash of the rental ships, "Fly Faster!"

There is a tendency for pilots to slow down when lift gets bad, but in reality you fall out of the best glide range. Students would get downwind of the airport and bucking a headwind slowdown to "save altitude" and make a perfect landing 1 mile short of the airport - LOL...

I was sitting in my shop today, watching buzzards and thinking about how well they are able to soar the thermals.  I also saw a Stearman fly over and made me realize how much I miss being in the air looking at the countryside.  Flying since 1968, when I got my license and always enjoyed it.  Never flew a sail plane, but watched many of them at WLD in Kansas when I was riding a tractor growing up on a nearby Farm.

BigLarry said:
I was sitting in my shop today, watching buzzards and thinking about how well they are able to soar the thermals.  I also saw a Stearman fly over and made me realize how much I miss being in the air looking at the countryside.  Flying since 1968, when I got my license and always enjoyed it.  Never flew a sail plane, but watched many of them at WLD in Kansas when I was riding a tractor growing up on a nearby Farm.

Plowed fields are another great source of lift. The plowed field heats up faster than the green fields. What the farmer might call a dust devil, the glider pilot calls lift.

Just after sunset we would sometimes watch the owls - head to wind, no wings flapping, holding station over a spot in a field about 10 feet above the ground- not moving forward or back - just balanced. In a flash they would tuck wings and dive bomb a field rodent.  Fascinating to watch.

Ex-Calif said:
Plowed fields are another great source of lift. The plowed field heats up faster than the green fields. What the farmer might call a dust devil, the glider pilot calls lift.

Just after sunset we would sometimes watch the owls - head to wind, no wings flapping, holding station over a spot in a field about 10 feet above the ground- not moving forward or back - just balanced. In a flash they would tuck wings and dive bomb a field rodent.  Fascinating to watch.
I was out bird watching at Elk Horn Slough Wildlife Area and I ventured into their visitors center which had a table full of items to touch and inspect closely including a number of large feathers from the area. I picked up a 12 inch flight feather from a pelican and waved it next to my ear. I could hear the whoosh whoosh with every wave. Then I picked up an owl flight feather and waved it by my ear. It was as silent as could be. Not a sound. This is how owls score so well.

Ex-Calif said:

Sounds awesome!

SeilerBird said:
I was out bird watching at Elk Horn Slough Wildlife Area and I ventured into their visitors center which had a table full of items to touch and inspect closely including a number of large feathers from the area. I picked up a 12 inch flight feather from a pelican and waved it next to my ear. I could hear the whoosh whoosh with every wave. Then I picked up an owl flight feather and waved it by my ear. It was as silent as could be. Not a sound. This is how owls score so well.
That's interesting Tom and not something you'd even think about. Are other birds like this do you think?

jackiemac said:
That's interesting Tom and not something you'd even think about. Are other birds like this do you think?
I spent ten years living full time in the National Parks and I heard about it frequently. I went to every ranger walk and talk I could and the fact owls hunt noiselessly was brought up a number of times. That is why I was waving feathers by my ear when I found them on display.

Having been a sailor for many years, I was drawn to the glider, took lessons for a bit but gave it up, didn't have enough time to really get comfortable or competent.  Had I been able to keep up with at least a lesson a week, maybe, but my schedule was more like once a month.  Not a good plan. 

However, the sound difference when releasing the tow is something I will never forget.

Ex-Calif said:

We have a pair of Swainson's Hawks that live nearby, and I have seen them exhibit similar behavior. Fascinating to watch. (and easier, given they are most active in the daylight.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom