rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Community impact of Covid-19  (Read 818 times)

calkid

Community impact of Covid-19
« on: July 15, 2020, 08:53:30 AM »
What is the current overall impact on the RV communities? Except for the permanent rver's, are community members staying at home?  Or is there more interest generated in this lifestyle? Thanks!

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
Re: Community impact of Covid-19
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 10:04:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

If you believe the news, RVing is on the ups.

I was in Biloxi Beach for 7 days two weeks ago at a commercial park. Both Fridays and the one Saturday were packed. Weekdays about 25% full. Going to a State Park this Friday - will let you know...

Even in a packed park social distancing was not difficult. Most folks appeared sensitive to standing 8-10 feet apart while "chatting." I only really chatted with a couple of folk anyway. No one tried to shake my hand or give me a hug - LOL...

Biggest risk were rest stops and gas stations - Rest stops were impossible to use (specially Saturday) while distancing (crowded restrooms and very, very few masks) so I peed in the RV and just used the grounds to stretch my legs.

"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »
We have been staying at home, I have not been more than 50 miles away from home since January, and rarely that much.  So far 1 RV trip canceled, we had planned on being in New Orleans at the end of March, even before this started we had no plans for any big summer trips this year due to my wife having a few big work projects going on, though we had a few shorter ones under consideration.  We have been trying to come up with a 2 week trip option for September, but even that is looking doubtful at this point due to chances of travel restrictions (2 week entry quarantines, possible state border closures like what happened for Louisiana residents with FL, and TX back in March).
2002 Safari Trek 2830

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:48:39 AM »
We just traveled from our home in northern NY to upstate, SC.  Mostly I-81.  Very few RVs on the road.  We used rest areas only for stretching, used the motorhome facilities, otherwise.  No problem staying away from people and objects.  I think the biggest issue is some states "requesting/requiring" self quarantine upon arriving.  Traveling through is not an issue, we called every state we were going to travel through for confirmation on that.  Couple of weeks ago we used two commercial campgrounds, no problem as long we were self contained. I don't think there will be any border corssing stops, never really were.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2020 Buick Envision AWD Premium in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
We went camping last week for 2 days and have a trip in 2 weeks to Smuggler’s Den CG near Arcadia National Park in Me. Don, know if there any quarantine restrictions in Me. right now.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »
We are seeing rv's on the road but not nearly the numbers we would expect other years. There have been a few unfortunate incidents involving out of province tourists, the government is trying to discourage them, but their  money is welcome.  ::) No American plates though.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »
We're "campers" so it did not impact us much. We kept all of our planned 2020 trips (mostly just long weekends) except one - we cancelled an 8-day trip to NH (a 6 hour drive) in favor of staying closer to home (3 hours) in one of our favorite NY State Parks. The weekends were booked so we're just going to stay M-F. I'm sure the DW will find some projects for me to do on those weekends!

On a side note, we have two campgrounds close to us and they appear to be pretty full every weekend.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

msw3113

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »
We went camping last week for 2 days and have a trip in 2 weeks to Smuggler’s Den CG near Arcadia National Park in Me. Don, know if there any quarantine restrictions in Me. right now.
Rene, I understand that Maine presently welcomes anyone who can document a negative Covid test.  Otherwise Maine requests that visitors self-quarantine unless you're a Vermont or New Hampshire resident.  So I'd say you're good to go.
We spent 3 days there last week, the host confirmed we are NH residents.  Don't know what would have happened if we hadn't been.
21 Alliance Paradigm 370FB
09 Carriage Cameo 32 SB2
11 Silverado K3500 HD LB DRW

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 09:52:02 PM »
We spent 3 days there last week, the host confirmed we are NH residents.  Don't know what would have happened if we hadn't been.
you stayed at Smuggler’s Den?
AKA  Pep N Mem

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
Rene, I understand that Maine presently welcomes anyone who can document a negative Covid test.  Otherwise Maine requests that visitors self-quarantine unless you're a Vermont or New Hampshire resident.  So I'd say you're good to go.

Soi, people from Vermont and New Hampshire don't get the virus?
Bruce A.
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
Soi, people from Vermont and New Hampshire don't get the virus?

Maybe we’re more serious about listening to the experts. I just came back from the grocery store and everyowas wearing a mask and pretty much everyone was following the store rules about “one way isles”.-

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:13:43 PM by Rene T »
AKA  Pep N Mem

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 01:45:15 PM »
I wish it was that way here, we have a governors mandate for everyone to wear mask in public unless they have a medical reason not to.  I was in the grocery store 3 days after this went into effect, big neon colored poster board signs at the doors saying everyone must wear masks.  Well I guess a lot of people had medical reasons not to, as bout 25% of the customers were not wearing a mask.  I bought gas yesterday, had to go into the store to pay, and the clerk did not have a mask on.  We even have stores with big signs saying things like the governor has ordered that everyone wear a mask, so if you are not wearing a mask in our store we will assume you are exempt from the order.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 01:59:21 PM »
In many cities in MS it is up to a $1000 fine if you aren't wearing a mask in any building open to the public.
Retired computer automation programmer
1997 30' Class C plus 2008 popup
DW loves camping more than I do!

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 03:39:36 PM »
That sign that says if you are not wearing a mask, they will assume you are medically exempt, is an invitation NOT to wear a mask!  No wonder 25% are not wearing masks.  I am glad the big stores like Walmart and Home Depot have made corporate rules about wearing masks in their stores. 

I am a full-timer and feel very safe traveling alone because I am more isolated than I would be in an apartment or condo complex.  And since I am mostly retired with an online part-time job, I am pretty isolated.
Full-timing for over eight years and 145,000 miles in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N.
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/

Laura & Charles

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 07:03:54 PM »
X2 Judy.  I have pulmonary problems galore but, as near as I can tell, my glasses fogging up is NOT a medical exemption for not wearing a mask. We full time, both work full time... could not isolate any more in a b&s or, except for refueling, staying put.  We’re diligent about masks and distancing and hand washing... I’m confident we’re not any more at risk traveling than not as well as confident we’re not putting anybody else at increased risk.
Living and working full-time out of Rosie (She’s the Queen of Corona):
A 2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43dft;
Dinghy towing a 2014 Honda CR V;
SMI Stay In Play Duo aux braking system.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 07:32:37 PM »
2002 Safari Trek 2830

calkid

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 02:00:46 PM »
Thanks to all for experiences and advice. Good to know about rest stops, weekend activity, and numbers of RVs on the road. Seems like commercial campgrounds will always be busy. Am more interested in state parks and national parks.
How crowded do they tend to be?
Does anyone have to boondock a lot?

decaturbob

• ---
  • Living on Tioga Time
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 07:01:30 PM »
we suspended all travel plans and came back 2 months early from Florida.  We can afford NO risk of exposure so we are wait and see what happens in coming 6-12 months
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH towing a 2010 Ford Escape around America

catblaster

• ---
  • born 1949, rebuilt 2012 with used parts
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 07:47:07 PM »
  The RV ing seems to have increased if Winnebago stock is any indicator. In roughly 4 months it has gone from around $20/share to its present pf $62/share. I wish I had the foresight to see it climb like that but this is one of the last things I expected.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 09:51:27 PM »
Campgrounds are so easy to social distance, I would imagine that most camping facilities are doing fine unless they were shut down (beyond their control) by state or federal authorities during early coronavirus response. And/or folks cancelled reservations on short notice due to health concerns. We visited our favorite beach campground spot in western Michigan a couple weeks ago, and it was just as populated as ever... since the state allowed them to re-open. They did close the beach access one day (July 4th) after it reached capacity, so that was being monitored to some extent. Still very easy to stay distanced from others, even with increased holiday crowds.

The RV ing seems to have increased if Winnebago stock is any indicator. In roughly 4 months it has gone from around $20/share to its present pf $62/share. I wish I had the foresight to see it climb like that but this is one of the last things I expected.

Wow, that's pretty amazing! Yeah some advance notice on that 3x share value increase would have been nice. ;) Although the 1-year trend shows that was a return back to normal after the price plummeted from $60 to $20 in March, and has made a steady recovery since then.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 diesel dually
- Formerly owned a Class A motorhome

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2020, 03:21:23 PM »

Wow, that's pretty amazing! Yeah some advance notice on that 3x share value increase would have been nice. ;) Although the 1-year trend shows that was a return back to normal after the price plummeted from $60 to $20 in March, and has made a steady recovery since then.

Interesting that the prices started dropping shortly after the Coronavirus was becoming a major concern.   Apparently the key players, I'm guessing institutional investors, assumed the RV industry was going to be negatively impacted. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

catblaster

• ---
  • born 1949, rebuilt 2012 with used parts
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 07:27:41 PM »
Interesting that the prices started dropping shortly after the Coronavirus was becoming a major concern.   Apparently the key players, I'm guessing institutional investors, assumed the RV industry was going to be negatively impacted.

I figured that no one would want to buy an expensive RV in the middle of an economic decline, so I never considered them. I did buy a bunch of airline stock and except for one they are holding their own. What idiot would but airline stock at a time like this.....it was cheap !!
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor