Evaluation of Rust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsplaisted

Hi folks,

We're first time RV buyers (see my previous threads), and we've found another RV that we like.

It seems to be in way better shape than the first RV we had inspected.  However, I'm not sure how to evaluate the rust in various places under the RV.  Here are the photos I took while looking at the RV: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmyL7OktH-KnKBV_7rnK8QfBAvXHw?e=oxxM3r

Here is the listing with some more pictures: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004-Winnebago-ADVENTURER-38G-5012499269  The listing doesn't have pictures from under the RV, but you can see some rust on the outside of the storage compartment under the slideout, which my wife was worried about.

Is the amount of rusting normal for a 2004 RV?  Should I be worried about the rust?

You can also see in two of the pictures that it looks like the paint is flaking off on one side toward the rear.  Is that a cause for concern?

Thanks again!

I would say that the level of rust is better than most coaches of this age, my 2002 coach may have slightly less rust, but it is also has less rust than many other coaches of this vintage I have seen.  Overall I did not see anything in the photos that would make me worry.  None of that rust looked structural, except perhaps on the air conditioner condenser, and even that looked moderate.  I would worry about the age / condition of those tires though.

Thanks.  Yes, we are assuming that we would have to replace the tires ASAP.

It will also depend on where the RV has lived it's life,, some states use a lot of salt on there roads and it will accelerate the rust problem..>>>Dan

Nothing scary there in terms of rust Fortunately RVs don't get much winter driving so don't get attacked by a lot of salt.

As you and others note the tires are toast.

I have no real expertise on the roof maybe someone can chime in but my inexperienced view don't see the roof pics as worrisome.

Good looking candidate.

Rust around bay door frames and other metal structures is fairly common in RVs of a certain age.  Typically those are powder-coated metal and the powder coat peels off in large flakes once rust gets under it. Usually not difficult to fix if you are handy.  A few minutes work with a wire brush, then dab on a rust converter such as Ospho, VHT or Corroseal, followed by some new paint.

The problem area on Winnebagos is the windshield frame, which is known to get rusty and break the seal between the windshield glass and the frame. That requires windshield removal for repair.

RV chassis (frame rails and cross pieces) are not undercoated at the factory or dealer and can get severely rusted if exposed to road salt (winter driving) or ocean beaches (salt air). More typical use,  i.e. summer driving, rarely causes a rust problem worth worrying about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom