rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Internet for HEAVY data user (150GB plus monthly)?  (Read 557 times)

tomcruise54

Internet for HEAVY data user (150GB plus monthly)?
« on: July 16, 2020, 04:18:23 AM »
I am a heavy data user when it comes to internet as I video conference all day long to run my business.

I'm needing upwards of 150GB a month, without throttling, for under $1000 a month.. Have looked into satellite, but seems the speeds are quite slow, so perhaps a sim card/device will be best, but most plans throttle! :(

Needs to be able to plug directly into my laptop rather than relying on wifi. A wifi booster will not suffice.

Half the year my use is in Canada and half the year my use is in USA which complicates things a bit - may have to purchase separate plans for each country?

Any help is greatly appreciated as if I can't sort this out I will have to re-think RVing or I won't be able to work! I need to be sure my video conferences (sometimes large groups) will be 100% uninterrupted.

Utclmjmpr

• ---
Re: Internet for HEAVY data user (150GB plus monthly)?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 05:14:00 AM »

Why not consult with the company reps involved that you tentatively plan to use as servers to get accurate info ??..>>>Dan
Vary rare American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Last year Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919

You can't fix stupid,, but you can numb it with a 2X4

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 05:16:29 AM »
The best answer for you is Google's Fi network. True unlimited for $80 a month. If you use this link:

https://g.co/fi/r/2KX6EY

you will get a $20 discount on your order and I will get $20 off my bill. I have been using Fi for well over a year and I am very impressed. Fi charges $10 a gig with a cap of 6 gigs. After 6 gigs there is no charge.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 06:02:52 AM »
FMCA Tec-Connect is a SPrint Mi-Fi device (supposed to be 4gLTE) supposed to be unlimited..
IS IT?  Well.. I got one because I constantly hit the max on my Phone (T-mobile 55+ plan) But I've only used it for a bit over a week and I'm not yet ready to give it a thumb in eiter direction.

T-mobile has bought Sprint it seems so the coverager is way better than it was a few yeas back but.....

Even though both devices are supposed to be 4Glte  and Both coverage maps say I habe 4Glte coverage wherer I am.  And I'm over limit on the phone (Well I was last week when I ran the tests I've reset now)    The phone sucks data down 10x what the Mi-Fi does. also phone showds more bas so it may be different towers

Bump this next week and I will be in a different place.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 07:19:00 AM »
Your requirement to have service in both Canada and USA is a major complication - you definitely need two premium-grade plans.  I also suspect you will want commercial (business) plan rather than personal/residential. Consult with the major cellular providers in the USA about your needs and budget, making it clear this will be a business account.  Personal plans are defined to be very competitive in price, but your $1000/month budget should open up more commercial-grade possibilities, including guaranteed service levels.  Once you get that sorted, try to find something similar from a Canadian provider.

AT&T's Business Elite plan is a possibility for you. It has 100 GB/line without throttling, but your budget would easily cover multiple lines. It also offers what they call Fast Track, guaranteeing you priority when in a crowded (heavy traffic) area. I think T-Mobile has similar options, so Verizon probably does as well.

Do you expect to travel widely or move around frequently?  I ask because the amount of capacity and quality of service varies widely, sometimes even within a few miles.  You cannot assume that a given provider will be able to meet your needs everywhere in the country, especially if you expect to travel in sparely populated areas or in mountainous terrain.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:32:11 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

SMR

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 07:46:17 AM »
 Check out  Visible Wireless,  last month we used 170 GB's, we do a lot of streaming and use as a secure connection for DW's business. We fulltime and no issues with service, Visible uses the Verizon network.  The plans start at 40 and go down from there. We have 4 in our group and now pay 25 a month.
Steve
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL
2015 Ford F350
me, DW and Mattie dog

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 09:03:59 AM »
FMCA Tec-Connect is a SPrint Mi-Fi device (supposed to be 4gLTE) supposed to be unlimited..
IS IT?  Well.. I got one because I constantly hit the max on my Phone (T-mobile 55+ plan) But I've only used it for a bit over a week and I'm not yet ready to give it a thumb in eiter direction.

T-mobile has bought Sprint it seems so the coverager is way better than it was a few yeas back but.....

Even though both devices are supposed to be 4Glte  and Both coverage maps say I habe 4Glte coverage wherer I am.  And I'm over limit on the phone (Well I was last week when I ran the tests I've reset now)    The phone sucks data down 10x what the Mi-Fi does. also phone showds more bas so it may be different towers

Bump this next week and I will be in a different place.

I've been using Tech-connect for a little over a year.
I will just say that since the T-Mobile merge has been finalized, I have not seen an improvement.

And, it is wireless, only. I've used a WIFi extender with a Cat6 cable to the extender.
It works, but I don't see it handling the requirements the OP is looking for, just yet.

The Canada requirement may also be a showstopper.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 09:54:57 AM »
You may also want to look into Starlink low earth orbit satellite when it goes live in a few months.  Exact details are still sketchy, but initially its coverage zone will be the northern US and southern Canada up to about 53 degrees north, and will grow from there as its constellation of satellites build out.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Chakara

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 10:32:45 PM »
Starlink is sounding a bit farther out.  Challenge will be 20 degree view of the sky over 360 degree's around the trailer.   But I'm personally holding out to confirm that as well as timelines for it as it will be the ultimate solution I hope.

For your budget - I'd look at Peplink or Cradlepoint.  They have routers that can take multiple SIM cards and rebroadcast the internet from the LTE into WIFI inside your RV.   Also external antenna's for the LTE side so you can get the best reception.   This is the tech they use on like public transportation for wifi access.

-Chak
2018 Arctic Fox 27.5L
2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ

fraim

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 09:54:36 AM »
i read that Visible has only 5mb for skype telecommuting with screen sharing.   Good enough for 2 or 3 people on the connection but if you have 7 or more people you would need 8-9mb connection, which Visible doesn't offer.   If you try using the lesser connection you would stall & make coworkers unhappy i imagine.  ;D

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 03:57:34 PM »
I've been using Tech-connect for a little over a year.
I will just say that since the T-Mobile merge has been finalized, I have not seen an improvement.

And, it is wireless, only. I've used a WIFi extender with a Cat6 cable to the extender.
It works, but I don't see it handling the requirements the OP is looking for, just yet.

The Canada requirement may also be a showstopper.

Well so far I've only used it in one parking spot. That changes Monday

As for computers or devices that need a wire line.. Not a problem  I have several hard wired devices here all work just fine with the Tech-Connect.

I also have a Umbiquiti Nano Station and a Belkin (POS) router (I have some other routers in storage)  The Nano connects to the Mi-Fi and from there on I can go both wired and wirless to other devices including two DVR's and the file server that masages the data for the program guides and my Ham Shack comptuer and my Ham Clock (runs on a Raspberry Pi-2 so no wi-fi less I plug one in to an unused USB port.. GPS is plugged in but since it lives next to the router. Might as well wire it)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.