what the maximum weight I can tow comfortable with a chevy colorado 2.8 diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morrowstar

Hi,I'm a newbie looking for both TV and TT
firstly,I want a small truck which can fit for my garage
The chevy colorado 2.8D has 7700# towing capacity and 14XX payload and the size is just fine for my garage
secondly,I want the TT as big as it can be towed safely.
so what's the maximun weight of a TT I can tow with chevy colorado?
Do you guys think a 4500# dry and probably 5500# with cargo would be fine?
Thanks

Welcome to The RV Forum!

Towing capacity is determined by subtracting the weight of an empty truck plus a driver from the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).  Anything else you carry in the truck makes it heavier and subtracts a like amount of weight from the Towing Capacity.

Your Colorado's true towing capacity isn't 7700 lbs unless it's completely empty ... it's 7700 lbs minus the weight of whatever else you have in the truck.  If you're carrying the full 1400 lbs of payload the true towing capacity is 7700 - 1400 = 6300 lbs.

According to this you should be OK with a trailer weighing 5500 lbs including cargo.

The other point is tow ratings are determined using a flatbed trailer with a box of iron or bricks on it for minimum wind resistance.  RV trailers are taller and wider, so they need to plow a larger hole through the atmosphere.  At highway speeds this requires more power so it's a good idea to stay a bit below the maximum rating to have the reserve power you need.  Staying at or below 80% of the maximum rating is a good goal.

5500 lbs is 87% of 6300 lbs but only 71% of 7700 lbs, so if you're carrying lots of gear in the truck you may have marginal power for hills and headwinds towing a large and wide RV trailer.

Make sure you get an equalizing hitch with sway control, again RV trailers have long and wide sides that can catch side winds and cause sway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom