rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: This may sound like a dumb question  (Read 722 times)

Melissa_S

This may sound like a dumb question
« on: July 22, 2020, 09:24:10 PM »
or maybe it's just a totally newbie question.

Hubby and I are not sure what to buy because we have two little furry co-pilots.

We are looking at Class Bs, specifically the Winnebago 59 G or GL. The price difference between the two is significant.

What do RVers do when they have fur babies and they park in some quaint town and want to go shopping or sightseeing?

Is there something really apparent that I'm missing? How do you keep your rig cool and your fridge cool when parked in a parking lot?

Thanks in advance. We are trying to learn and this learning curve is steep.

Isaac-1

• ---
Re: This may sound like a dumb question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 09:34:30 PM »
While I fully think Lithium Ion battery banks, large inverters and either auto start generators, or engine based charging systems are the wave of the future, these allow the air conditioner to run for hours without the engine or generator running, we are still in the early adopter period, these products started showing up 2-3 years ago, and they are still working the bugs out.

Having said that you can buy a LOT of fuel to run a generator for the price difference, which gets even better with an the addition of an autostart generator system which ties into the air conditioner thermostat, so that the generator will start up and run only when the air conditioner is needed, think cool mornings, but hot afternoons.

With pets with either system you may want to invest in some type of wifi / internet based temperature sensor system and a mobile internet hotspot which can send alerts to your phone if the air conditioner should fail, etc.

The other question you should really ask yourself, Is a class B right for you?  Class B's sacrifice a lot in order to fit into a standard van body, and they are also one of the worse bang for the buck options out there in RV land.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 01:26:33 AM »
I assume fur babies are your dogs or other friends. Class A and C RVs are fairly well insulated; class B more car / van like. The generator is there to run the air conditioner, microwave or user appliance(s). Normally everything else runs on the battery. We leave the AC thermostat at normal temperature and run the generator or if it's cool enough we just leave the windows open. Our generator uses .5 to 1 gallon an hour based on zero load to full load. Our five year old motor home has less than 30 hours on the generator. Use it, that's why it's there. It's designed to run days or months without stopping but change the oil per manufacture recommendations.
2015 Winnebago 22R

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 02:04:20 AM »
Just to follow up on this last comment about oil changes, a typical RV generator like the common Onan 4000, has a suggested oil change interval of every 100 runtime hours, changing the oil on these is a simple mater of unbolting a drain plug, draining 1.6 quarts of oil, and then putting another 1.6 quarts of fresh oil into the generator.  This takes about 5-10 minutes, with basic hand tools.  In contrast to Tom's use I have put about 250 hours of use on the generator in my coach since buying it 4 years ago.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 02:27:10 AM »
Your refrigerator should run on either propane or electricity.  Most RVs have a refrigerator that will automatically switch between the two so you don't have to think about it.  I have left my Class C in airport parking lots for up to 8 days with stuff in the refrigerator, and as long as I had a full propane tank and my batteries were charged, it was not a problem. 

Worrying about leaving pets in a motorhome while I go shopping or visit a museum is a reason why I have no pets.  If you have a built-in generator as most Cs and As do, you can leave it running for a couple of hours with the pet inside, but I would worry about the generator stopping. 
Full-timing for over eight years and 145,000 miles in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N.
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 05:07:15 AM »
I full timed for ten years in a class A with three cats and they loved the hot weather. Never a problem with them. When I had a dog that was a bigger problem, got to keep the RV cool for a dog.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 05:34:54 AM »
Depending on weather the roof fan and a screened window or the generator and the Air Conditioners.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 06:06:31 AM »
We simply leave the Air Conditioner running when we leave the dogs in the mh.

On another subject, I'd rethink the Class B idea if I were you. I can't imagine two pets and two people in a van plus it is relatively unusual to find a generator in one.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Pun'kin
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)- Sold
2006 Jeep Wrangler

jubileee

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 06:08:17 AM »
Depending on weather the roof fan and a screened window or the generator and the Air Conditioners.
X2

Mark_K5LXP

• ---
  • 2005 Itasca Sunova
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »
The chew monster goes into his crate, the old guy gets to roam freely.  Most days we leave a few windows cracked and the two roof vents running.  On a few occasions we've left the generator and A/C going but I don't like the idea of those systems running unsupervised, so keep those outings as short as possible.  A few times we've had folks from the campground/RV park come and dog sit for us and in return we'll watch their rigs while they're gone, and that makes being away much easier.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 09:40:44 AM »
The 59G model of the Travato includes a 2800 watt generator that could be run, thus powering the rooftop a/c unit (and anything else you like).

The fridge will operate on LP gas (propane) and 12v (battery) electric whenever shore power is not available.
Not much room in a Class B for two people and two furry kids, but some people manage it ok.  Individual space needs differ widely.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:02:23 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 10:07:28 AM »
Be sure to remember that if you choose to run the generator to power your AC that it will shut down when your gas level drops to 1/4 tank. That may not be true in every RV, but was the case for my last and current RV. This is a safety feature to keep you from running yourself totally out of gas by running the generator.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 10:49:00 AM »
Just to clarify,you do have to open the valve on the propane for it to work. 
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 06:52:21 AM »
Although there is less/no insulation in an RV to me it's just like a house.  You trade off security for animal comfort.

I'd leave all the windows/vents open, a couple 12V fans running and plenty of water for the dog(s) then go to town and do whatever I needed to do. If this was gonna be a habitual thing I might start thinking about adding security grills to the windows to discourage unwanted visitors. On my particular RV the windows are either slat crankouts or sliders too small for anything but a child to get through, even if they had the 5 foot ladder to reach the window ledge.

Unless your dogs are real cold weather breeds like Samoyeds or something I think they'd be fine.

You could also do a test - Do what I suggest without dogs first in full sun. Check the inside temperatures after 2 - 4 - and 6 hours. If the temps are below 100*F I am sure the dogs will be OK.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:54:41 AM by Ex-Calif »
"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 07:13:49 AM »
Although there is less/no insulation in an RV to me it's just like a house.  You trade off security for animal comfort.

I'd leave all the windows/vents open, a couple 12V fans running and plenty of water for the dog(s) then go to town and do whatever I needed to do. If this was gonna be a habitual thing I might start thinking about adding security grills to the windows to discourage unwanted visitors. On my particular RV the windows are either slat crankouts or sliders too small for anything but a child to get through, even if they had the 5 foot ladder to reach the window ledge.

Unless your dogs are real cold weather breeds like Samoyeds or something I think they'd be fine.

You could also do a test - Do what I suggest without dogs first in full sun. Check the inside temperatures after 2 - 4 - and 6 hours. If the temps are below 100*F I am sure the dogs will be OK.

Great reccomendation here.  I use it if outside temps are below 95.  For info - the slider windows can be controlled by cutting some peices of wood (or other material) laying in the bottom channel of the window to limit how far they will open.  No way to absolutely secure an unattended motorhome, IMO. Need to assess each location separately, we have left some spots because we felt unsecure, or uncomfortable.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2020 Buick Envision AWD Premium in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 07:39:20 AM »
Not such a great idea in the south or the southwest in the summer where even with vents running it can get to unsafe temperatures in a vehicle quickly.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 07:50:07 AM »
Not such a great idea in the south or the southwest in the summer where even with vents running it can get to unsafe temperatures in a vehicle quickly.

That's why you can do a temperature test in full sun.  I grew up (7 kids) in SoCal in a 3 BR stick house with no A/C - Summer temps reached 115*F (including in the house) and no one died - LOL...
Various classic MGBs

phil-t

• ---
  • Moving Along
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 08:15:33 AM »

Definitely agree with that, been there and done that!  Was in LV, NV for 4 years in the early 70s; with no AC in our car and swamp cooler in our first appartment.  We, amazingly, survived!  That may not be the case today, at age 70.

Been clearly stated to monitor temps.  If you feel uncomfortable, one could get a temp monitoring device that would alert you via your phone.  We have had no issues with our Yorkie concerning heat stress; separation anxiety can be a bigger concern.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on an '09 F53 22K Ford V-10 gas chassis.
2020 Buick Envision AWD Premium in tow.
CHF, DIY rear TrackBar
Retired - Moving Along

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
These days some do-gooder is all-too-likely to come along and get distressed about you leaving Fido in the vehicle and either call the cops or break in to "rescue" him.  Whether Fido is actually in any danger or not.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 01:33:05 PM »
Tru dat...

Especially if Fido is a barker and attracts some attention.

These days some do-gooder is all-too-likely to come along and get distressed about you leaving Fido in the vehicle and either call the cops or break in to "rescue" him.  Whether Fido is actually in any danger or not.
Various classic MGBs