rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 2003 Monaco Cayman batteries  (Read 579 times)

cargears

• ---
2003 Monaco Cayman batteries
« on: July 25, 2020, 11:20:41 PM »
Hi
I have a monaco cayman 300 cummings 30 ft. that I need to sell. It was my friends that passed away. RV has been sitting for a year now. It has dead batteries. I had a goodsam guy come out today to jump it, but we didnt start it. He says they are 24v batteries, he was trying to use a 12v jump start pack. I would have thought we needed 24v if that were true about the batteries. Anyway he says I need 6 batteries costing $1000. He thinks there is another chassis battery somewhere other than where the battery compartment is (with 6 inside) One of the batteries is an exide 31xpd, the others are interstate  - i cant see the model
Anyway - what batteries do I need? 12v? I need to get it started, cleaned up and then sell it. It only has 46000 miles

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Re: 2003 Monaco Cayman batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 12:35:27 AM »
24 volt batteries???

The Excide 31xpd is a 12 volt battery.

Don't buy anything yet until more people have chimed in on here.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Tom55555

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 12:43:51 AM »
Most systems are 12 volt.

Two 12 volt batteries in series is 24 volts. Four 6 volt batteries in series is 24 volts. Make sense?
2015 Winnebago 22R

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 12:59:07 AM »
Welcome to The RV Forum!

Motorhomes have two separate battery systems.  The Monaco Cayman has two 12 volt chassis batteries connected in parallel to supply 12 volts, NOT 24 volts, at enough current to crank the large diesel engine.  If the road service guy tried to use a standard 12 volt car battery to try and jump start, it's not surprising it didn't have enough power to crank the large diesel engine.

After sitting a year it's unlikely the batteries will take a charge so at a mimimum you'll have to replace the two Group 31 starting batteries.

The other 4 batteries are the house batteries to run the interior lights and 12 volt appliances.  They are 6 volt golf cart batteries connected two in series to get 12 volts, then in parallel with the other pair for more current.

Each battery cell produces 2 volts so a 6 volt battery has 3 cells, a 12 volt battery has 6 cells. 

Here's a link to the Monaco Cayman Owners Manual if you don't have it.  It's very comprehensive.
House and starting batteries are covered in Section 8 with the battery sizes on page 246.

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/manuals/2002_Cayman.pdf

Click on the thumbnail below to expand the page giving the battery requirements.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:36:22 AM by Lou Schneider »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 09:33:39 AM »
What Lou said.   The goodsam guy was clueless about RV battery systems.

I'd get two 12v starting batteries (the Exide 31XPD is a decent example)  to get it started and then see if the other 4 "house" batteries will take a charge. They will charge automatically if the RV is plugged to shore power or the generator is run, but it will take many hours.  If the batteries have removable caps, make sure there is sufficient water in the cells.

If you know nothing about this sort of thing, a mobile RV technician may be able to help.  Some may like to not work on batteries, though.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

cargears

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »
Thanks for your help on this. I knew the Goodsam guy wasn't sure and was unprepared, and trying to jump the Cummings diesel with a single battery isn't going to do it. he didn't have cables long enough to try to jump it with his truck. anyway what you guys say totally makes sense to me. Ill start off with replacing the two 12v chassis batteries. All I really want to do is get this thing started, get it detailed and then sell it for his wife. So if the house batteries charge enough just to show everything works I'm good with that. I hope! Then i have to figure out what its worth. Its in great shape, needs a good bath and has 46K miles on it, seems super low to me

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 03:29:53 PM »
I think your jump start guy is a class one NON educated idiot.

Now.. A photo of the batteries will confirm but on a Guess that Excide 31 is your starting battery

I'm guessing the remaining batteries are wired in series/parallel. Like this

-{bat}+-{ery}+
-{bat}+-{ery}+
-{bat}+-{ery}+

and they each have either 3 caps or one triple cap.
These are six volt BATtery's or battERYs (you starting to see why I typed 'em that way
 and wired like that they make one 12 volt Battery each.

They are the house batteries.

But I want to stress.. This is 100% guesswork and may also be 100% wrong.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

cargears

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 04:00:19 PM »
It looks good, but verify the + and - connections are in the same places as the battery you're taking out. Or the cables will reach if they're reversed.

Lordismyshepherd

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »
Assuming the batteries have any useable life left in them attaching a 12 volt jumpkit to each starter battery would have worked.
I live in the northeast and just replaced the starting batteries for our coach and the cost was a little over $300.00.  Off the top of my head I cannot recall the brand, but I trust my mechanic enough to know they are a reputable brand
Art & Lori
New Hampshire
2001 Monaco Signature 45G
Roadmaster Chassis, Cummins ISM 500HP
Allison MH-4000 transmission

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 11:18:26 AM »
950 CCA is the correct battery rating for starting the diesel, but make sure the position and type of battery post (terminal) matches what you have. Most coaches use the stud type shown in the photo, but some may differ.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

cargears

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 05:48:05 PM »
I'm going to take some pictures of the existing batteries tomorrow. Are the batteries on some sort of slide out?that would make sense to me. anyway I need to look at what house batteries to get also in case I have to. The RV is on a storage lot, there is no electricity to charge it and it sounds like if they even take a charge it might take forever to charge them anyway. I know the house batteries were interstate batteries but not sure of the model.
Thanks for sending that manual Lou, i printed section 8 and 9, it might be helpful when im on the storage lot, because there isn't cell service there
Ill make sure I take lots of pics and label everything before i start doing anything :)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 06:12:33 PM »
The batteries might be on a sliding tray, but I'd bet not.  As diesel motorhomes go, the Monaco Cayman is a low-end model and the low end typically lacks nice features like that.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

cargears

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 09:34:52 PM »
Thanks Gary :) I appreciate it

cargears

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 07:31:30 PM »
I have some good news :)
I bought 2 new chassis batteries at Cummins here today @ $104 each
I put the batteries in, switched batteries on, turned the key and it started right up, i never touched the gas or anything, It purrrrrs like a kitten.
The lights inside were on too, refrigerator was on, etc.  I went to the control panel in the back and I turned on the inverter, and the battery meter there said that there was about 2/3 charge on the batteries, they were still in the green. So I left the motor run for about 30 minutes, then shut it all down, switched the catteries back off in the battery compartment. You guys helped me so much I really appreciate it. Its only got 46K on it, so hopefully i can sell it pretty easy because his wife has dementia, shes in a home which costs about 6k per month, so the money will help her alot.
Now i have to figure out what its worth, he added a lot of bells and whistles when he bought it (he said) but its a pretty good time to sell one now I think. Im in San Diego if anyone knows someone looking :)

IBTripping

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 09:14:45 PM »
Congrats on getting the rig started and running. Best of luck finding a buyer.
1996 Coachmen Catalina 230BH
2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 10:21:04 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Hope all goes well.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 11:51:37 PM »
Congratulations on getting it started!  That's a major hurdle overcome and it's a wonderful thing you're doing for your friend's wife.  But you may still have problems with the house batteries.

If the lights and refrigerator came on when the engine was started, it means they were left on when the RV was placed into storage and unless someone threw the battery disconnect, the house batteries eventually became fully discharged.  It's highly unlikely they survived sitting that way for a year.  What you saw on the battery monitor when the engine was running was the voltage the engine alternator was pushing into the batteries.  There's no way to tell if they accepted a charge other than letting them sit for a while.

After the RV sits for a day or two, go back in, turn on the house battery switch and see if there is actually any charge in the batteries.  Better to discover they're bad now than be surprised when you're showing it to a prospective buyer.

New 6 volt batteries cost about $90-120 each at places like Costco, Sam's Club or Batteries Plus.  $400 is an insignificant percentage of the selling price - you can disclose up front they're bad and let the buyer deduct the replacement cost from the negotiated price.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:13:58 AM by Lou Schneider »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 12:59:17 PM »
Agree with Lou - you are probably seeing only power that is transferred from the engine system to the house. 

See if you can get the coach generator started (it likley starts from the chassis batteries). If it starts and runs, it will power the onboard charger for the house batteries. See if they are still able to take a charge. That will also let you verify that the 120v system is working.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

cargears

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 08:10:53 PM »
Just when I thought I was in good shape :)
Ok ill try running the inverter first. i have no idea how to start it yet, do i do that when the rv is running? I see LP on the side of the unit, is that the fuel for it or for a generator?
I have no problem buying batteries for it. I think costco has them. I measured  the batteries, approximately 10" long, 7 wide and 9.5 high
What size would they be referred to?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 10:46:59 AM »
I don't think anybody suggested "running the inverter". Maybe you are using the wrong term for what you intend?

The generator will get its fuel from either the coach main fuel tank (diesel) or the coach LP tank, depending on the model of the generator. The "LP" you see on the side of the coach is probably just the location of the onboard LP tank, which will be present whether the generator uses diesel or LP gas fuel.  The generator would normally start and run whether the coach engine is running or not, but if the coach engine is the only source for 12v power, then the engine must be running.

You may get some helpful info from the 2003 Cayman sales brochure at https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/user/1469132201_brc_pdf.pdf
According to this, the standard generator is an LP gas fueled model but a diesel generator is optional, so that's not conclusive.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:51:17 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

cargears

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »
I replaced all 4 coach batteries today, they were $98 each at costco, so at least now I know it will power up properly when someone looks at it.
:) It was 100 degrees in santee california today when I was doing this :) So of course afterwards I started it up and figured Id run the a/c to cool off. But :) Air was not cold. I was running the ac on the dash. Im hoping because it was sitting? I dont know lol. I dont know whether to fix it or sell it like this. But I know it runs great

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 09:24:40 AM »
The dash a/c is probably low on refrigerant (R134a) after sitting a long time. The system nearly always has slow leaks.  I'd add a can or two to get it going again, even though it may leak away again fairly soon.  You can buy the refrigerant and the tool for it at any auto parts store or Walmart. 

Don't expect the dash a/c to cool a hot coach - it can barely keep the area immediately around the seats  ok.

If you can get the generator going, use the roof a/c. It will be much more effective.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

cargears

• ---
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2020, 05:59:35 PM »
Ok sorry to bug you guys so much but you are helping me a lot :)
I want to take some pics of the motor home, and i want to open the tip outs to get a better picture. Do i need to do anything special once I have enough room to open it up? I think there are some buttons inside to open them but are they locked somehow or do I nee to support somehow? I don't want to mess them up obviously that's why I'm asking first. Thanks again

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 06:20:22 PM »
Slide operating instructions are on page 159 of the Owner's Manual referenced above.

The slides don't need any mechanical support when they're out - they're held from tipping out when the inside lip presses against the motorhome wall.

There may be a removable lock arm on the inside of the slide, between the lip and wall.  If it's there remove it.

Position the driver's seat so there's enough clearance for the lip on the slide to pass behind it.

Turn off the engine, apply the parking brake (yellow knob) and hold in the slide switch until the slide is completely extended.  It runs on 12 volts so make sure the house batteries are charged.

And keep the front door open while the slides are in motion.  You're operating a giant bellows, making large changes in the interior air volume and having a way for air pressure to get in or out of the coach makes the load much less on the slide motor.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:29:08 PM by Lou Schneider »

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 08:09:18 PM »
And keep the front door open while the slides are in motion.
Of course a window open works just as well, and lets in fewer bugs.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

cargears

• ---
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 11:32:36 AM »
Awesome, Thanks Lou Im going out this morning :) Ill bring that part of the manual too

cargears

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 06:25:25 PM »
Hey guys
I went out with a buyer today to look at the mh. I tried to extend the bedroom tipout but it only went about half way, wouldnt go any more. I already had the dining tipout all of the way out, im sure of that.
What do you think might cause a tip out from going out all of the way? Any common problem you can think of?
Thanks

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: Today at 11:28:24 AM »
Anything that causes the mechanism to bind will result in the slide controller shutting off power to the motor.   If the motor is straining to move the slide, the amp draw gets high enough to warn the controller that something is wrong.    Some systems also have limit switches on the mechanism and they can trigger premature stops if they get bent out of position.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck