Wiring Training?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

airick10

I do not have a RV yet, but researching and getting ready.  I imagine there may be a few upgrades I?ll want to make which could include something as simple as a USB port install.  I imagine this can be accomplished sharing a 12V line from one of the lights or some source in the coach.

I wouldn?t say I?m real handy, but I?m handy enough.  I have not stripped or clamped wires together.  Is there any recommendations on learning how to do this?  Maybe it?s just as simple has heading to Home Depot and grab some wires and, a strip/clamp tool and play with it. 

airick10 said:
I do not have a RV yet, but researching and getting ready.  I imagine there may be a few upgrades I?ll want to make which could include something as simple as a USB port install.  I imagine this can be accomplished sharing a 12V line from one of the lights or some source in the coach.

I wouldn?t say I?m real handy, but I?m handy enough.  I have not stripped or clamped wires together.  Is there any recommendations on learning how to do this?  Maybe it?s just as simple has heading to Home Depot and grab some wires and, a strip/clamp tool and play with it.

Welcome to the forum. Go to HD and ask the guy/gal in the electrical section to help you get started.

Your right - it really is that easy.  Quality tools matter.  For low power/high gauge wire I'm a huge fan of Dolphin Super B connectors.  Sitting looking at a bag of DC-100-P that I keep in the camper.

-Kyle

12v wiring in vehicles or boats is pretty simple and rarely dangerous if you mess up.  Badly abused batteries may be an exception to that, but that's not usually a wiring issue.  Here are some sites that educate you on the basics.

https://www.explorist.life/how-to-wire-12v-plugs-fans-and-accessories-in-a-diy-camper/

https://www.boats.com/resources/12-volt-basics-for-boaters/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOQHe_cZtI4

Well if you are going to get into RVing may I also suggest you get into Ham Radio... Multiple reasons for this but I've had "issues" in the land of no cell coverage.  Now most of my handiest Ham rigs also no joy. I was about to break out the long wire and set it up when help arrived but if I have to my HF gear can nearly always shout for help.. May land a state or two over but police teletype (I know.. Used to be my job) each other.

Now.. Why do I say that.. Well Step one is getting interested but Step 2 is www.arrl.org
ANd then find a club near you.

Odds are some of the older members, will be willing to "Elmer" you on that kind of thing.. Provided you study for the test and get licensed.. Test is about 15 bucks. one time (if you pass) 25 questions for Tech, 25 more for General and 50 for the Extra I took. Test is easy.. I mean on the Extra you can miss 13 and pass. I missed 2.    (Divide by 2 for the Tech).

Tech gets you limited HF voice and Morse Code (Oh you don't need to study morse code any more) and full VHF/UHF/Above privileges  Extra.. Well that gets you FULL all over but General is good enough.

Sometimes a club will also offer classes through Adult Ed.. How I managed to get all but 2 right (I took 2/3 of the class. Schedule confilct)

For this specific project, you might consider something as simple as this.  USB built in to standard outlet.  Pretty easy DIY.

Home Depot and others have as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-White-Charger-Power-Outlet/dp/B07DRPR79Z/ref=asc_df_B07DRPR79Z/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416961890636&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15996465274099407757&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-888731666121&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=96633979089&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416961890636&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15996465274099407757&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-888731666121

You can actually do a lot of damage to things if you do it wrong. You can melt wires and create circuits hooked up to the wrong source and accidentally drain a battery bank when the RV is parked up.

Then there is a the integrity of the crimped joints that you create. I have seen everything from twisted wires covered in tape, to house construction "wire nuts" to all sorts of nonsense.

If you are a self learner I recommend getting a decent book on 12V systems.

This one is dated so won't have the latest products and technology but the basics of 12V electricity are apparently covered very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Systems-Troubleshooting-Repairing-Improvement/dp/007042778X/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=12v+wiring+for+rv&qid=1595853191&s=books&sr=1-5

Rene T said:
Welcome to the forum. Go to HD and ask the guy/gal in the electrical section to help you get started.

Forgive me, what is the HD?  Where is this?

Dan, Gary, Spencer... Appreciate the links!  Good materials to start off.

I will want to start with a simple DIY kind of project and get the hang of it.  I'm sure it's not difficult, just takes a little education and experience.

Oh right, of course.  I was thinking that some some forum on the site, haha.

Back
Top Bottom