rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Grey water emptying issues  (Read 376 times)

roaminrebelles

• ---
Grey water emptying issues
« on: July 26, 2020, 04:57:14 PM »
So my grey water meter says my grey water tank is full, Im hooked up at the rv park, pull the grey water valve and hear whooshing. Tank still says full, figure Id give it some time to reset and check later. Tomorrow, horrible smell coming from bathroom sink while doing dishes in the kitchen, upon inspection is slow to drain. Check meter and grey tank still says full. Pull the valve again and hear water, not a lot but some. Meter still says full after this. Any ideas?

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
Re: Grey water emptying issues
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 05:24:27 PM »
Tank level meters are notoriously unreliable - they're just a pair of screws at each level that lets current flow between them when they're wet.  It's easy for crud to hang up on them and create a bridge after the tank is drained.

Tank odors can come up through the P-trap under the sink.  Normally the trap stays full of water and creates a block against sewer gas coming up into the sink.  When you dump the tank water can exit faster than the tank vent can replace it with air and the resulting vacuum sucks the water out of the sink traps.  Pour a cup or two of water down each sink after you dump to refill it's trap.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:28:11 PM by Lou Schneider »

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:35:37 PM »
When you dump the tank water can exit faster than the tank vent can replace it with air and the resulting vacuum sucks the water out of the sink traps.  Pour a cup or two of water down each sink after you dump to refill it's trap.

To prevent that they should have installed a air admittance valve under the bathroom sink. If the valve is stuck closed, it could suck the water out of your trap when you drain the tank.  Look under your sink and you may see a vertical  pipe. On the end of the pipe will be the valve. Reach up und unscrew it it from the pipe. You may have to replace it. Theyre not expensive.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 06:22:17 PM »
Belles, many rvs have 2 gray tanks. I suspect this is your situation.  I would get under the RV and look around. I've read on this forum that some manufacturers do a great job of hiding a second dump location.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 07:10:01 AM »
My guess 2 gray tanks also.  You should put your RV model and year in your signature so that we have a glue as into what you have and can help give you ideas.
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

roaminrebelles

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »
Thank you all so much, that is incredibly helpful!