Ray's new PC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ray:

I have the new version of Palm Desktop (6.2.1 with Hotsync 7.0.1) running just fine on my Vista Toshiba. It is available for download on the Palm website. I had driver issues in April when I purchased this machine but they have all been resolved.

One benefit is that Vista has not locked up once on me so it is very stable. I also use the seach feature more than I did on XP because it is so convenient.

Thanks, Ned. That's a dose of reality. It hardly seems worthwhile to look, taking into account the rest of the Vista story. Glad I looked before I leaped on that one!  :-\

Anybody speculating on the timing for Service Pack One?  ???

Ray D  ;D

Jeff. I went back to Palm and looked for the Vista update. Found it. However, it wants me to download version 4.1.4 which is what I already have. It says Vista is incompatible with that!  ???

I have a five year old Palm 130. That may be the problem. However, I found a new line of links that looked - looks promising. Lost it. In the process of trying to find how I got there, again.

What would happen if I just download the 6.2.1 and try to use it? BOOM! or would it maybe work?

I should'a finished 6th grade! I'd know all this stuff like the rest of you guys!  ::)

Ray D  ::)

Seriously considering hiring a highschool sophomore to tutor me in how to work all this stuff!

Ray D said:
Jeff. I went back to Palm and looked for the Vista update. Found it. However, it wants me to download version 4.1.4 which is what I already have. It says Vista is incompatible with that!  ???

I have a five year old Palm 130. That may be the problem. However, I found a new line of links that looked - looks promising. Lost it. In the process of trying to find how I got there, again.

What would happen if I just download the 6.2.1 and try to use it? BOOM! or would it maybe work?

I should'a finished 6th grade! I'd know all this stuff like the rest of you guys!  ::)

Ray D  ::)

Ray;
I believe Palm tells you what PDA's each version works with.

Seriously considering hiring a highschool sophomore to tutor me in how to work all this stuff!

I believe Palm tells you what PDA's each version works with.

Yes, they do. I just thought - hoped - that a higher version might still talk to my Palm.

They say, in one place for Vista compliant sofware go to - - - -. I go there and it tells me to download the version I already have. Then, It says, by the way, this does not play well with Vista. Come back later for new updates.

Oh, well - win some - lose some.

Ray D  ;D

Haven't found a Vista compliant driver for my Palm, yet. Still hoping.

However, I know something almost nobody knows, about Smartphones Vista compliance!  ;D

I Synced my BlackJack, in Vista!!!  ;D ;D ;D

AT&T doesn't know! ::)

Samsung doesn't know!  ::)

Somebody at Microsoft knows, but he isn't telling everyone.  ;D

Here's the deal!

In XP and earlier versions of Windows, you use Microsoft ActiveSync.

In Vista, use "Windows Mobile Device Center." It's available as a download at Microsoft. Pretty much configures itself, during download. You need the mobile device to be plugged in, when you start the download. I found it at Microsoft, while studying complaints and solutions stuff, there.  ;D

Ray D  ;D

Ray,

Yes I have my Chembook and Jerry has his Chembook both with XP. ;D ;D  I had no idea XP was as good as it is till Vista came out. ;D :D

Ray, 

As Ned said, after checking that your PC mfg'er can or will supply all the needed drivers for XP PRO on your specific PC, if I were going to move from Vista to XP PRO I would reformat the fixed disk and install XP PRO from scratch.  Get XP PRO if you do it.  The networking is better.

JerryF

Yes I have my Chembook and Jerry has his Chembook both with XP.    I had no idea XP was as good as it is till Vista came out. 

I hear you! Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Vista until I give up on it.  ::)

Ray D said:
I hear you! Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Vista until I give up on it.  ::)

Hi Ray:

My feelings on Vista are somewhat different than I read here. I have 4 networked computers, 2 desktops and now 2 laptops. As a SW developer I had users purchasing new machines with Vista, so I was forced to install Vista on one of my desktops and was initially very discouraged. It took about 2 and 1/2 days by the time I found all the drivers I needed, including one for the MB. But fortunately, I did not give up on Vista.

I then bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium pre installed. So that gives me machines with XP Pro, XP Home, Vista Home Basic, and Vista Home Premium. Of the 4 machines, I now like the new laptop w/Vista Premium the best. The only reason I keep XP Pro on the one desktop is so I will have OS's matching users with XP -- as I now do w/Vista. After using my Vista laptop, XP is a depressing sight to look at.  :(

The main reason I purchased the laptop (BTW, it's a Fujitsu vs. the Toshiba's I've always had) was because of my hip replacement. I wanted the portability, but needed a strong machine to handle my SW development. I have now installed every piece of SW I have on my main desktop w/XP Pro. Not one package has needed new drivers or any modification to run. Some of the SW is very old -- such as office 97, plus a lot of those $29.95 utilities that I have gathered over the years. And I have tons of graphic packages that have all loaded just fine. Also, none of the peripheral hardware such as my old old laser printer have a problem with Vista. The users of my SW and those evaluating my SW that have Vista all insist that they want my SW to be able to run on Vista because they do not want to go back to XP.

I would agree that someone with an older machine w/XP installed may have a tough time installing Vista because of the older drivers already in place. However, if buying a new computer, my feeling is to go w/Vista Home Premium. Like it or not, that's the way the industry is moving and you will have to learn it anyway, so go ahead and do it now. Most things that are different are also better. And I for sure find networking and internet easier than XP. And, of course, the visual aspects of Vista are far superior to XP.

IMHO, though, to take a new machine w/Vista installed and reformat the hard drive to go back to XP would not be a wise choice. You would just have to go back to Vista one day anyway, so just stay with Vista, enjoy the better ways of doing things, AND the neat new look that most everything has.

Hey, why just go back to XP? Why not go all the way back to DOS? Much less RAM and secondary storage needs, plus writng batch files on a black and white screen is a fun way to spend an afternoon. Sorry, my friends, though I dislike Bill Gates almost as much as I hate Steve Jobs, I "do" love Vista . . .  :) ;)

Bob, thanks for the boost. I am really trying.

I decided a couple of weeks ago to stay with Vista. Don't get the idea that I like it, from that. The main reason is as you stated, going to have to do it sooner or later. Might as well do it now.

Maybe, by the time I get all fixed up, physically/medically, I'll also have a grip on Vista. Then, we'll be ready to go and see the world. Would hate to have to learn Vista while on the road.

Thanks again.

Ray D  ;D

Thanks for that report Bob, appreciate you sharing your experience. I've been eying new desktops for a while and had become convinced, from reports here and elsewhere, that I should order one with XP. When I was in Fry's in Sacramento recently they had numerous printers, different brands and models, offered for "free" (after rebate). While I was talking with an employee, he suggested the reason for the "free" printers was because drivers were not readily available for XP. I didn't really buy that, but came away wondering.

Your suggestion of "new PC = Vista, old PC stay with XP" makes a lot of sense.

I tend to agree more with Jerry's approach. When buying a new PC get it with XP then after Billy gets his act together in two or three years  and most of the bugs are gone buy and install Vista if you think you need it.  In Bobs case he didn't really have any choice because of his software development activities.

You can tellwhat the printers you were looking at require by looking them up on the manuifacturers web site and checking requirements.  More reliable than what a salesman might tell you. ;)

Ron's comment is so correct as to my approach.  I have never been first to a new operating system.  I used DOS 6.2 when WIN 3.0 was available and only moved on after Ver 3.1 was working.  I skipped the upgrade to WIN 95 and finally jumped on board after the full (non alpha and non Beta releases) were working well.  Then I skipped WIN 98 altogether until Win 98SE was available.  I probably stayed with WIN 98SE to long but after SP1 was available I finally went to WIN XP Home.  Finally with SP2 I went to XP PRO. 

My reasons were that I wanted a fairly stable OS (I'm not a Beta tester), I wanted all the drivers available, and lots of "how to" info available.  By following this course over the years I have been quite satisfied with MicroSoft.  I just have not wanted to be at the leading edge of new operating systems.   

By the way, over the years I have been very satisfied with all of those Microsoft operating systems but as would be expected XP PRO is by far the best and I feel that WIN 98SE was the second best. 

I'll guess that many users like me may never go to Vista because we can do everything that we want to do using XP PRO, even media video stuff although Vista may make media/video easier.  Now for developers it's probably mandatory that they get Vista.

Maybe Microsoft made XP PRO so good that it will impede Vista sales?

Jerry

I guess our opinions are our own and don't seem to change anyone else's but I have now been using Vista Home Premium since April and after a frustrating two months waiting for outside vendors to create new Vista-compliant drivers, software patches, or work-arounds I have had NO problems with Vista.

It has NEVER locked up and seems to keep its memory free without rebooting as I had to do regularly with XP. It boots quicker, keeps itself updated,  and has a few nice features like the search function. It came with my new Toshiba with 2 meg of Ram and certainly did not cost any more than XP as an operating system. I use two laptops, one with XP and one with Vista and as I use Vista more and more I find myself finding Vista a little quicker and easier to use than XP.

As I have stated earlier I wouldn't go out and buy it as an upgrade but having it as the operating system on a machine that was my first choice would not cause me to pass on the buy.

We all know MS will continue creating new OS's to keep sales up but it is almost a fact of life with Windows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom