Ray's new PC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just don't use the Geek Squad for anything.

What's a i.LINK? IEEE-1394?

Firewire. Although the bragging specs on USB are close, in real life, firewire is much faster. I use it for all my external drives.

Copy that, Ned. I did discuss the difference between Norton Internet Security and McAfee Internet Security and Norton 360. He suggested the latter.

Problem is that McAfee came with the system for thirty days. So, I decided to try it. Got a notice that if I would renew within a week, they would give me a large discount. When I decided to do that, there was no large discount, no discount at all. I have to renew within a week to get the regular price.  ::)  ::)  ::)  Sent them an E-Mail, requesting the discount. (To the Customer Service Dept.) No reply, two days.

I can beat that any where, here, with rebates, and plenty. Getting ticked off with McAfee before I even start with them.  :mad:

Ticked off with Norton, too, so there's still a contest. Not much service with them, either!   :mad:

Thanks, Russ. That helps. Not sure how, or what for, I might use it. Knowing what it is gives me more to go on when decision time arrives.

Ray D  ;D

IF I decide  to go with Norton 360, should I uninstall McAfee before installing Norton?  ???

For that matter, how good is Norton 360? Any opinions?  ???

Ray D  ???

Having used Norton products in the past and briefly using McAfee for a brief period of time before dumping it and not so long ago finally dumping Norton I very strongly recommend AGAINST either.  I now use AVG free and Ad aware.  When I removed Norton my laptop performance improved tremendously.

Ray D said:
IF I decide  to go with Norton 360, should I uninstall McAfee before installing Norton?  ???

For that matter, how good is Norton 360? Any opinions?  ???

Ray D  ???

Uninstall McAfee but I sure wouldn't install a Norton product.  AVG free anti virus does a good job.  ALso have had good reports on Tren Micro PC-cillin internet security.

I wouldn't use either Norton or McAfee but get some single purpose programs if you really feel the need for a software firewall and antivirus program.  The all in one suites are bloated and will only cause more problems than they solve, in my experience.  And, like AOL, once you install them, they're very difficult to remove completely.

If you want some recommendations, I can suggest AVG AV and Zone Alarm for a firewall, but not the Zone Alarm security suite.

KodiakRV said:
Blue Tooth is a short-range (several feet) wireless communication protocol typically used to connect a portable computer (laptop, pda, etc.) to an accessory such as a headphone.  You don't need it unless you have a Blue Tooth accessory you want to use.  In that case, you can buy a Blue Tooth "dongle" that plugs into one of your USB ports to accomplish the same thing as if Blue Tooth was built-in.

Hi Kodiak:

Bluetooth is more than several feet -- actually up to 33 feet with version 2.0. So, for example, the user with a BT headset can stray pretty far away from the device they are connected to. The phone could be in a charging/docking station anywhere else in the rig. With a BT stereo headset connected to a cell phone or laptop, one could listen to MP3's from most any area in or around the RV. That's the one big advantage of BT over the shorter range of devices such as a wireless mouse.

My new Fujitsu laptop has BT built in as does my smart phone by Motorola. That allows me to sync via BT. If I am on one end or side of my RV and receive a call, I can save the number, while it syncs and updates my laptop (up to 33 feet away) as soon as I click the save button on the phone. Or, if in MS Outlook on my laptop and enter a new contact, calendar date, or whatever, the phone is auto updated as long as it is within 33 feet.

If anyone is considering adding a BT adapter for their laptop, be sure to get one that handles V2.0. It is not only faster and has more range, but I read that it enhances sounds transmitted as well.

I am not a computer expert by any definition. Assuming I were to go with AVG and Zone Alarm, am I secure against invasion. Will those two repair my files, for example? I have used Norton since 1988, so am somewhat used to it. Saved my bacon, many times.

I plan to use cableone.net, broadband, as I do now. I also plan to use my cell as a modem. I plan to use WIFI, when that is available and convenient. Am I covered?

Note: My desk top unit recently crashed, quite seriously. It arose from the dead, compliments of static electricity, Microsoft Windows, and Norton. I couldn't have done it.

???  ???

Ray D  ;D

Ray for what it's worth I use Zone Alarm and really like it.  Have had it for about 4 years. I feel you have more control with it than with Norton that I had before.  JMO and I by for am not an expert.

Thanks, Shane. Coming from you, that helps. I have a hunch we're about equally competent.  ;)

Do you use WIFI, with your laptop?  ???

Ray D  ;D

Ray D said:
Note: My desk top unit recently crashed, quite seriously. It arose from the dead, compliments of static electricity, Microsoft Windows, and Norton. I couldn't have done it.

While at the Roseville Fry's a few days ago, I noticed they are selling Norton AntiVirus 2007, Partition Magic, and a third package that I don't remember for $49. with a $50. rebate.  Am not that well read on the reviews of the various packages, but Norton has worked well for me over the years and seems to catch a bad intrusion about once a month or so. Of course, we can brag on a package not knowing how vulnerable it is until that bad thingy it can't handle intrudes. :(  That's another reason for reading reviews (if unbiased ones can be found) is such an important part of HW and SW purchases.

For years, I have been able to renew my Norton products for free, when the rebate is figured in.  ;D

The rub? They get bigger and bigger and at the same time, further and further away from product service.  :mad:

Happens in every case of extroardinary success. Eventually, they get too far from their customers. Not sure Norton is that far, yet, but they are getting close.  :(

Good example would be the "BIG THREE" automakers. Their britches don't fit anymore.  ;D

Ray D  ;D

Yes I use Wifi when available on the road.  Don't ask to explain it cause I haven't a clue I do know I have somesort of Verizon card on my Sony Vaio.  All I can tell you friend, that's the max of my computer intelligence.

Norton may have saved some folks but it also slows down your system.  As fare as saving you from the bad things the programs recommended here will also save you from bad things.  I stand by my recomendation avoide Norton.

Ron said:
Norton may have saved some folks but it also slows down your system.

Was wondering what your reference for that is, Ron? Have you done any benchmarks on your own computers - or do you have a reference review I can check out?

Thanks . . .

Bob Buchanan said:
Was wondering what your reference for that is, Ron? Have you done any benchmarks on your own computers - or do you have a reference review I can check out?

Thanks . . .

Personal experience Bob.  My system had some weird stuff going on and seemed to be slowing down.  On somebodies recommendation I removed all Norton products, which wasn't all that easy even after contacting Norton for instructions how to get everything off.  I was amazed at how much improvement I realized in the performance of the laptop.  It was like new again and the weird stuff ceased.  Was good enough for me since the only thing I did was remove Norton.  I might mention that prior to this experience I thought Norton was the greatest.  Boy did I learn better.

Ron said:
Personal experience Bob.  My system had some weird stuff going on and seemed to be slowing down.  On somebodies recommendation I removed all Norton products, which wasn't all that easy even after contacting Norton for instructions how to get everything off.  I was amazed at how much improvement I realized in the performance of the laptop.  It was like new again and the weird stuff ceased.  Was good enough for me since the only thing I did was remove Norton.  I might mention that prior to this experience I thought Norton was the greatest.  Boy did I learn better.

Thanks, Ron. I am so busy all the time I don't have time to check out new products over some that I have been using for a long time. I have never noticed any speed problems with or w/o Norton. I just bought a new laptop and did a speed test before and after installing Norton and it runs the same both ways. Also, my full system scans are at 3:00AM - so I am more concerned about a good job than speed during "that" test. Have tried to find comparative tests of "on the fly" checks such as landing on a website or asking for a download -- and do find conflicting opinions. There is a natural tendency for "individuals" to vote for the one they are using. :)

How long ago did you do your test? Most vendors "do" listen to feedback and speed SW products up if it affect sales. HERE is a comparison done by PC World earlier this year. It has Norton 2007 (the one I have on all my computers) coming in 2nd overall. Also, if you go to the actual Norton 2007 PC World review, nothing is said about Norton slowing down a computer during testing. It complains that it takes it longer than the no. 1 ranked program to get "new" virus checks to your computer, but does not mention slowing the computer down. If you do a side by side of the 4 top ranked programs, Norton wins the scan speed test hands down.

No program will make you absolutely secure.  Only common sense can do that.  If you practice what I call safe computing you won't need antivirus software and additional firewalls other than the built in one in XP.  Keep in mind that the security people are always working in reactive mode.  By the time you get the update, the malware has already been in the wild.

Don't open unexpected attachments, lock down your browser, don't use Internet Explorer unless you know how to really secure it, don't read email in HTML preferably using an email client like Thunderbird and not Outlook or Outlook Express, both of which are insecure, and just plain think before clicking on a link to someplace you haven't been before.  I haven't run any antivirus program nor any firewall other than the XP firewall for several years and I've never had a virus, a trojan, a bot, nor any other malware on any of my computers.

Back
Top Bottom