Overnight Near Memphis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom Sawyer Campground across the Miss. River West Memphis Arkansas. Sites are right along the river and you can watch the tugs and barges transiting the river. Going to the campground is not so pretty. But when you get there its fine. full service..

Boat Addict said:
Tom Sawyer Campground across the Miss. River West Memphis Arkansas. Sites are right along the river and you can watch the tugs and barges transiting the river. Going to the campground is not so pretty. But when you get there its fine. full service..
Rob, Make sure you call and make reservations because it may be underwater at the time. We went 3 years ago ancd they had just opened up that day after being flooded out. I think it?s the Army Corps of Engineers that gives them advance notice when the river will overflow it?s banks. The workers go around and remove ALL the electrical boxes off the posts. The bathhouse is on wheels so they tow it to higher grounds until the water recedes.  It?s sure different but fun to watch  the huge train of barges being pushed by one tug boat.

Rob VanVoorhis said:
Park suggestions in the Memphis are for an overnight not far off the 40?

I'll second/third the Tom Sawyer Park.  We were there two years ago in July.  Quiet and watch the river  boats, tugs and barges on the Mississippi.  Yes, on call ahead but not likely under water unless they've been hit with a lot of rain up stream.

We were at Tom Sawyer in May and it was clean as a pin and everything worked just fine.

This was our view. I guess I was lucky or possibly  lost when these were taken.  :-* Of course the river will flood expecially when there has been a lot of snow melt or hard rain upstream. People would come to the bank and fish from the benches on a regular habit. or so the story goes.

Attachments

• miss tug 2.jpg
    miss tug 2.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 39
  • miss. tug.jpg
    miss. tug.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Miss campground.jpg
    Miss campground.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 37
I too am considering a trip to Memphis, can anyone comment on the Agri-Center RV park on the east side of Memphis, we are considering it as it is less than 8 miles from my sister in law's house in Colierville.

Isaac-1 said:
I too am considering a trip to Memphis, can anyone comment on the Agri-Center RV park on the east side of Memphis, we are considering it as it is less than 8 miles from my sister in law's house in Colierville.

You are on top of one another. And you are facing each other, almost awning to awning if they are open  with the power poles designed for the hooks ups. And a ton of live ins.  Its in Shelby Farms.

Agree on the Tom Sawyer.  When we called (a few years ago) we only wanted two nights and the owner told us that was good, but three nights would have been underwater!

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom