rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Bears in Colorado  (Read 636 times)

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • Matthew 6:34
Re: Bears in Colorado
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 06:43:29 AM »
Seriously?  I hear a racoon rustling around and I'm wide awake all night. :o

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
My girl friend watched the bear for maybe 10 minutes and went right to sleep! After the bear left I was awake for at least another 30 minutes. At 6 am seeing and hearing that snout poking in at the bottom of my tent is one of the scariest moments of my life.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit
2008 Veracruz

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 09:34:42 AM »
A couple of years ago we were in a small RV Park in SE Colorado we were awakened around midnight by scratching noises. It went on for a bit, but our dog settled down so we went back to sleep. In the morning we found out that a bear had visited. Evidence included muddy paw prints on the door and below a front window as well as a torn up sewer hose.

A neighbor had his cooler torn up and it found and explored the dumpster. We believe the bear was one we saw the afternoon before while off roading near the park. I'd estimate it was about 250-300 lb. So a good sized black bear!

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Pun'kin
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)- Sold
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 12:03:19 PM »
Like several others here, I have spent many years hiking in bear country. Generally, neither species is very aggressive unless you startle or annoy them, or are perceived as being a threat to their cubs. When we came across this guy (in the photos), DW and I made sure he new we were there. He turned, looked us over, concluded that we weren't a threat, and went back to eating his berries. None the less, DW was holding her bear spray, and mine was on my belt.

As for defense, choose between bear spray and a high powered rifle. Your 9mm will do more to annoy a Grizzly than actually do anything to stop him. It might be effective against a Black bear.

BTW, the only Grizzlys in the lower 48 are in and around Yellowstone, and in north western Montana. You won't find any in Colorado.

Joel

Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2020, 12:39:16 PM »
Black bears are pretty smart.  Possibly smarter than some campers who despite warnings leave food unattended when away from their campsite.  I guess they think those bear boxes are for fire wood.  We've tent camped in Yosemite, the Sequoias and Kings Canyon.  Have seen many black bears.  One evening while playing cards with my son my wife mentioned that a black bear was maybe 10 feet behind us.  That same evening, we saw several campers chasing a black bear that was running with a paper bag in its mouth.  Probably had something the campers wanted pretty badly.  Fortunately for the campers the bear climbed a very tall pine and didn't challenge them. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2020, 01:09:29 PM »
Several people have been killed or attacked in the past few years in Yellowstone and Glacier NPs. Including a ranger picking berries, she couldn't get her spray off her belt.

Take spray and know how to and ready to use it.

Almost all of these attacks had one thing in common. The person who was killed was alone in a remote, or at least secluded area. Unfortunately, other than that, little is known about what precipitated most of those attacks. There was one attack a few years ago at Yellowstone, where the cause was well documented. When the rangers recovered what was left of the body, they also recovered the hiker's camera. It was found to have a series of photos of the Grizzly, each photo being a little closer than the last. Eventually, the bear must have decided "too close."

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 07:40:14 AM »
Yes all what I suspected...That is, yes there is indeed bear in those woods. 

I opted for Spencer's way of thinking and purchased a Approx $50 can of Bear Lotion / Alaska Guard Bear Blaster spray.

I also have a somewhat of a better strategy from reading the posts and articles on the net on what to do if I do encounter a bear is...

* Give them plenty of space

* Let them do their thing from a Distance to me and my human pack.

* Get of of the area or wait at a distance to get out of the area when safe to do so. 

* Option 4, Run like HeXX!

Be bear aware and have a good time and hopefully not get killed by one.  ;D

Hey...we got snakes down here...I only can claim Bear Ignorance...I had to ask the question to my fellow RVrs.

So my take away from the discussion is...... planning on having the good time and take situations as they come up.

Hope the board is out living their lives, and having fun, in a smart fashion.

JD
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:43:12 AM by X-Roughneck »
2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2013 Jeep

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

John/JD