Replacing floor in A frame popup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baethye

Hey everybody, first post so bear with me!
I recently bought a 2004 Chalet Arrowhead pop up that has a rotted floor. Got a decent deal on it and wanted to change around the layout anyway. I have everything removed from the camper currently and ill be tearing out the rotten floor in the near future. The simplest plan I have at the moment is to just install pressure treated plywood. Should I bother trying to add another layer of something before the plywood? This will see minimal use in the elements and will be stored indoors so I think I should be able to get plenty of life out of the green plywood. After the plywood is down I plan to add another layer of sheathing and lay a vinyl plank tile floor.

Thoughts, suggestions for a newbie?
Thank you!
Brandon

you have to remember that the floor was put on the frame before even the outside walls were put on the frame. You can unbolt the camper part from the frame, then lift the camper off the trailer, more work but the you get a completely new floor. You can also glue a water proof fabric to the under side of the floor, just overlap and glue the joints or spray a rubberized under coating on the underside; this will make your floor last longer.

you have to remember that the floor was put on the frame before even the outside walls were put on the frame. You can unbolt the camper part from the frame, then lift the camper off the trailer, more work but the you get a completely new floor. You can also glue a water proof fabric to the under side of the floor, just overlap and glue the joints or spray a rubberized under coating on the underside; this will make your floor last longer.
How is the best way to lift the camper off the floor?

I would say pressure treated plywood would be fine. Much better than it originally had. Personally, I wouldn't' add a barrier, these trailers need to breath. Be careful redecorating, a lot of thought originally went into weight / load distribution, do it wrong and it will not pull nicely. Good luck, post pics, we love helping others spend money ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Most likely the walls of the trailer were not assembled then set in place but each wall was placed and fastened to the floor and to adjoining walls at the same time. You will need to figure out how the walls are connected to the floor first if you are to lift the entire trailer off without disassembling it . I suspect that a better approach to replacing the floor would be to do so by sections and not lift the entire trailer. You may be able to lift a section at a time enough to get new material between the trailer frame and the walls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom