Ok i think i am officially crazy.....someone please talk me out of this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Sofa King

Pittsburgh, pa (zombietown) Go Steelers!!
I keep looking at all theses old greyhound and school busses on ebay going for a couple of thousand bucks.. and i also keep looking at the thread in here about that guy who did the rv conversion..  i have th etools and the skills to do something like this.. it looks pretty straight forward.. i just stripped out a travl trailer so i have all the rv parts.. transformers switching units lights etc..

what type of buss would be the best starting point..it seems that a majority of the ones i have been looking at have  detroit powerplants  and allison transmissions
what in particular should i look for in a powerplant and transmission...

someone please talk me out of this.. lol

Lots of people have converted buses to RV use but it's a long process.  Do a Google search on bus conversion and you'll find lots of references.  I don't know anyone here that has done it.  There is nothing wrong with a Detroit engine and Allison transmission, it's an excellent combination.

Why would you want to be talked out of it?  It could be a fun project.

Mike,

If you decide to go ahead with that project, you'd be doing many of us a big favor if you could document it as you proceed. Snap 'before', 'during' and 'after' photos and take notes and keep us informed of your progress.

It sounds like a fascinating project, but one too big for me to tackle.

In the midwest there have been many a touring bus Preferablly, because plumbing is generally already in it to some degree.   I've seen a couple of projects over the years that are just mind boggling.  Fantastic jobs.  If you have the skills go for it.  In fact if you are any where around the MO area, there is a bus trader/salvage  juy just a few miles northeast of Lebanon, Mo that has several units of that nature. It's location on the frontage road of US 44.  Good lot on your project and please do keep records and photos.  JMO

Sounds like a neat project, but, I would want a little bigger unit to start with.  Not a lot of real estate in 23' to do a layout.

Start with inside dimensions and sketch out what you need. 

I agree with Bill - a 23 footer is awful small to invest all that labor in.  If I were going to do this, I'd be looking for a tour bus rather than a school bus, but they are probably a lot more expensive to get one in decent mechanical condition.

My son has been kicking around this idea also but for a hunting camp RV.  Nothing too fancy. Maybe 3-4  bunks, and  a counter to cook on and refrigerator.  He wants something that can tow his Jeep to the campsite.  A smaller school bus would probably work out well.  He is also considering a used U-haul 26 ft box truck as it is already setup for towing. 

On the plus side- I saw a wheelchair lift. If that works, you could sell that for close to the price of the bus!

If I were you, I'd start with an Eagle, with it's Torsillastic Suspension.
And, the Detroit 8V-92 is much, much better, stronger, and more powererful
than the old outdated and underpowered 8V-71.
Heck, instead of building one from scratch, you oughta buy mine.  I have
a 1969 Eagle, with the Alison 740 Automatic Trans., Kubota/Wrico diesel
generator.
I have over $160,000 invested in it, and will sell it for $65,000. because my
wife wants one with Slide-outs.
McCord, [email protected], Kerrville, Texas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back