rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Cargo carrying capacity Concerns  (Read 465 times)

Denisek

Cargo carrying capacity Concerns
« on: July 30, 2020, 10:27:25 PM »
Hello everyone! Iím a newbie, and this is my first post. We have a deposit on a 2021 Entegra Esteem 31f. We love the RV, and found it to be perfect, as it is our first motorhome. As Iím learning more about important aspects, I see the CCC is 1228. On a you tube comment thread I saw many people talk about this being a deal breaker. As a family of four, should we look elsewhere? We looked at a Tiffin Allegro 36ua, but it seems large as a starter, and not as easy to maneuver. We plan on staying at RV parks, possible boondocking here and there, but that would be for a night or two.  Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Isaac-1

• ---
Re: Cargo carrying capacity Concerns
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:56:48 AM »
All too often you will see such low CCC numbers on 30+ ft class C's as they are built on 14,500 GVWR chassis, where similar length Class A's are built on 16,000 -18,000 GVWR chassis occasionally a few are even built on 20,000 GVWR chassis.  As to is it enough, a lot depends on how you plan to use the RV, and what you plan to bring along on your travels, remember the weight of the passengers count towards CCC, and kids do grow.  It all adds up clothes, food, pots, pans, BBQ grill, camp chairs, pop up canopies, tools, ...  With a 1228 CCC you will likely find yourself debating between bringing along bicycle or BBQ grill, and not both.

Having said that a lot comes down to use, 1228 CCC might work fine for you if you plan to just drive the coach up to the local lake for the weekend a number of times per year, with 2-3 changes of clothes for everyone,  and might be completely unsuitable if you plan to use it for the great American road trip adventure.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 06:51:17 AM »
Depends on how the capacity is calculated. If it is empty then a quick google shows you have to allow for

Water - 47 gal = 378
LP - 56
Gas = 55 gal = 330

716 pounds from 1228 leaves 512 - That's probably getting close to 4 people before you add anyone's clothes, food, camping gear or anything else.

That certainly would be a deal breaker for me - however if their number is loaded with the liquids 12228 might be workable.
"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 09:40:08 AM »
The current OCCC federally mandated rating system in use since mid 2008 online includes full fuel and propane tanks, everything else, passengers, water, luggage, etc count as cargo.  I suspect the OP intended to post OCCC not CCC, which was the industry number used prior to the federal mandate in 2008 which is calculated differently and includes full fresh water tanks.

Perhaps we need some clarification here.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 09:58:51 AM »
For the OP, perhaps look at a gently used 2 or 3 year old unit?

Many people find that their first rv turns out to be less than optimum for their use and upgrade with little wear on the trade in.
New units, while having a warranty, turn out to need them due to the poor quality control in the rv industry. Unlike the auto industry, rv dealers have little incentive to fix warranty problems after they get your money. After all, it isnít like you will trade up every 3 years like many car owners do.
And, a new unit drops itís value like a rock as soon as you sign the papers.
A gently used unit will likely have gotten over its early teething pains so you wonít need to.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle & Tigger
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14í V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
A Grand Design 337RLS in the future.
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)
N1SPA (up to my neck in hot water, as always)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 10:15:36 AM »
The CCC referenced in the original post is indeed the federal OCCC - no new coach builder is quoting the old RVIA definition of CCC.  In the federal weight label terminology, CCC is used for towables and OCCC for motorhomes, but the difference is academic. Trailers lack motor fuel and passengers, so those are excluded from the definition. Even if they were included, they would be "zero" anyway.   But this is a Class C motorhome, so OCCC is the number and it is for any and all passengers and cargo. Any onboard fuel, whether motor fuel or propane, is already included in the base (unladen weight) so is not considered "cargo".

So, yes 1228 is kind of low, especially when there will be 4 passengers. Not impossibly low, but you are going to end up rather near the max (GVWR) merely with passengers and some water onboard. Food, clothing, lawn chairs, BBQ, etc. will take you to the top quickly. But more than a few people do it and manage ok, so maybe it's ok for you.

Personally, I would not buy a Class C in lengths of 30 ft or more just for that reason. A Class A of the same size will have more carrying capacity, more interior room and more external storage. 
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Denisek

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 09:24:19 PM »
Thank you all for your responses! I was told today the OCCC is a bit higher, so tomorrow we go
and look, just to be sure. Thank you again!

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 02:10:29 AM »
If it is not 500 pounds or more higher, I would still have concerns.  For comparison my almost 19 year 28 ft class A has just under 3,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity using the OCCC formula.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 02:38:33 AM »
I full time in a 32' Class C and am alone.  FOr me, CCC is a BIG factor because I am already slightly over my allowable weight.  Admittedly, I have more stuff than a weekender, but because of weight limitations, I cannot fill my water tank and take it to the next campground.  In fact, I really worry about weight, but have eliminated all non-essentials and am still overweight.  While I love the layout of my C, I am sorry I did not buy a small A because of the CCC concerns. 

For you, even if two of those people are small, they will grow and need to take along more stuff. 
Full-timing for over eight years and 145,000 miles in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N.
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 09:00:41 AM »
Thank you all for your responses! I was told today the OCCC is a bit higher, so tomorrow we go
and look, just to be sure. Thank you again!

Be careful of what the sales people tell you.  Two things to keep in mind.  Size and whether or not you will be pulling another vehicle.  Size is a consideration if you think you might go larger in the future.  If you do, you will take a potentially large hit on the first motorhome you purchase.  They depreciate in value significantly during the first few years.  If you truly enjoy RVing and take longer and longer trips, size will be a consideration.  Also tank size if you do more than a day or two of boon docking.   A second vehicle could solve some of the weight considerations.  The combined weight according the the Esteems brochure gives you 7,500 lbs towing capacity.  That is enough to pull many small trucks and some large sedans.  Most sedans will have at least 1,000 lbs of storage capacity which can be used to lighten the load of the motorhome.  What you need to keep in mind is to not exceed the gross weight of the motorhome and that of the two vehicles when towing.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:12:18 AM »
You don't have to take the salesperson's word for OCCC or use a generic one from a brochure.   OCCC is stated on a federally mandated label on the coach itself and is legally required to be within 100 lbs of actual.  On a "C" van/motorhome, it is given on the Tire & Loading sticker on the driver door post.  It will state something like "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx lbs".

Expect to see placards that look something like the attached photo.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:14:37 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 09:23:44 AM »
One thing to also consider is the resale potential if you decide it is not for you.....  That CCC could make the difference to another buyer.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 03:43:00 PM »
We are learning this "weekender" camping. The only hook up at our state lake parks is 50 amp electric & we have 80 gallons of water - probably 72-75 usable.

Our first trip with 3-guys we ran out of water on day 2 (someone took a shower while I wasn't looking - LOL) & we had to break camp and go dump and fill.

This weekend on day 2 we are at about 50% water with only dishes, potty, teeth brushing and sponge baths. We are still making mistakes - running the sink to rinse the dishes vs. 3/4 filling a rinse basin.  It's a hard habit to break running the water while brushing teeth. We are doing really well on using the potty correctly but it's the running water sinks that are a real trap... I am half considering putting in spring loaded lever taps that you have to hold in the on position and close when released.

Anyway - Consider the need to carry full water tankage to the sites or you will seriously limit yourself on places you can go.
Various classic MGBs

SLOweather

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 04:12:08 PM »

Ex-Calif :

As soon as you have to refill that 80 gallon tank 1 6 gallon jug at a time, you learn the value of water conservation. Over 55 years, and 3 motorhomes (starting with my parents), I have schlepped hundreds of jugs of water when there was not a hose that was convenient. Buy a jug, and hand it to "shower guy" and he'll catch on quickly, no doubt. :)
2014 Itasca Sunstar 31KE
1988 Itasca Suncruiser 31RQ
1968 Travco 201

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »
Ex-Calif :

As soon as you have to refill that 80 gallon tank 1 6 gallon jug at a time, you learn the value of water conservation. Over 55 years, and 3 motorhomes (starting with my parents), I have schlepped hundreds of jugs of water when there was not a hose that was convenient. Buy a jug, and hand it to "shower guy" and he'll catch on quickly, no doubt. :)

Excellent tip!  I know better. I spent 5 years ocean boat sailing and racing. We were allowed 5 pounds of gear and water conservation was a premium concern. You learn what is important to bring, that water is only used for drinking and cooking and after 8 days on a boat with 8 guys, you remember what BO smells like for real - LOL...
Various classic MGBs

Denisek

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 06:20:06 PM »
Thank you so much for all of the responses! You all made such great points, and when my husband ended up seeing size difference, we have settled on a class A. We are really excited, and canít wait to start RVing with our family!