rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Another Rear View Camera Question  (Read 181 times)

Velociraptor

• ---
Another Rear View Camera Question
« on: July 30, 2020, 11:15:49 PM »
Searched all of the previous topics I could find but didnít find the answer.  Here is my needs and questions.

1 - Iím pulling 44 ft gooseneck with aluminum skin so I assume from my research wireless is probably out.  Anybody got a wireless camera system they feel confident in for this situation?

2 - I want one camera on the rear for backing as described above and 2nd camera in headache rack for hooking up.  The 2nd camera is simple to hardwire but the first means I will need to be able to make temporary connection at the gooseneck similar to 7 pin brake / light connector.  Have others done this and what system did you use?  Any issues maintains connection reliability over time?

3 - Assuming I got to run wires it would be simpler to have a system that uses data transmission wire for power (ie 1 wire to run).  Anybody got a system that uses power over Ethernet or something similar?

Thanks,
Josh
2020 Chevy 5500 - 19,500 GVWR / 34,000 GCWR
Custom 44 ft Gooseneck Under Construction - 21,000 GVWR

Jkoht

• ---
Re: Another Rear View Camera Question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 06:27:29 AM »
I think you'd be surprised by the distance a wireless one can transmit. I used to have one in my old truck and when I would park in a ramp downtown the screen would pick up a camera feed of a hawk nest on a building 4 blocks away. I'd reccomend buying one and doing a test. Seperate the camera and screen by 60 feet, set up a quick power source direct from a 12v battery and see how well it transmits. If it doesnt work you can always just pack it back up and return it if it doesnt work. I'd be really hesitant to run a wired one on a setup that long because if there's every a break in the wire there's a lot of real estate to troubleshoot.
2003 Roadmaster 24ft Toyhauler

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 06:39:17 AM »
Buy the wireless camera for the "hookup" camera and try it as the rear view camera. If it works, great. If not buy the second one wired.

OTOH - If you want the trailer camera to be ignition on, you will need to run a power source to it anyway so wired may the solution anyway.

Don't worry about the wire run - My experience is the core wires are simple stranded copper - nothing shielded or fancy like co-ax.  In fact your could probably find a roll of wire with enough cores (4 probably) to carry power and signal and use any good quality connector at the hitch - definitely something that screws together and is waterproof. Make sure it is heavy enough to carry 12V with a low power drop. At least 12ga probably.
"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

Velociraptor

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 11:33:58 PM »
Jkoht,
Considered that but Iím horrible at returning stuff.  As for troubleshooting it will be simple. All of my wiring in my trailer is surface or conduit mounting as trailer is for work and does not need to be aesthetically appealing.  Wire goes bad I would just replace it.

Ex-Calif.
Iím not going ignition on.  Iím going to wire power off my Upfitters Switches.  Havenít wired any on my new Chevy yet but assuming it is like my Ford it will require ignition on and switch thrown for power.  Right now I am leaning towards RVS Quad Cam system based on reviews.

Josh
2020 Chevy 5500 - 19,500 GVWR / 34,000 GCWR
Custom 44 ft Gooseneck Under Construction - 21,000 GVWR

jaunvie

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 06:45:08 AM »
I installed wireless on my RV (23' so not as long) A really cheap one too.  The only thing I notice is the is a bit of lag when I'm driving. I wouldn't use it to switch lanes, but as a general reference to what cars to look out for before I even try to get over, it's great. Backing into a space is fine. I just go slow, as you should, and stop every couple of seconds to allow the camera to catch up a bit. But at least I can SEE everything. And Using a better rated/ more expensive camera would probably be even better.