CNN Article on camping at Walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cringed a bit when I saw the link, but overall it seems to be a balanced report on the situation

Isaac-1 said:
I cringed a bit when I saw the link, but overall it seems to be a balanced report on the situation
lol X2

I was chatting with a Walmart store manager, and he allows it, but says others don't because of the illicit activity that occurs in their parking lots over night, and rather than say the good guys can, and the druggies can't, it's easier to just say no to all.

In some cases the city, county or state has fallen for the Campground owner assn Bull that it's somehow "Unsanitary"  This is bolstered by the odd one or two who dump tanks on walmart's lots.    (may they rot in their own black tank).

I've only had problems at two wal-marts.  One was well marked. one the manager lied to me and claimed such an ordiance but the police later said "no such"  (I won't go back there again, Normally I'd not have gone there anyway but special needs applied)

Keep in mind Wal-Mart tends to have fairly high turn over of managers, so if told one time, it might be worth checking again in a year or two

[quote author=PancakeBill]... never got a good night sleep.[/quote]

I've never had that problem Bill. But it might have something to do with the fact that I've never had the need or the desire to camp overnight in a Walmart parking lot. Each to his own.

PancakeBill said:
I call WalMart 'the Last Resort'.  I have stayed but never got a good night sleep.

I agree.  We stayed at a Walmart once.  The noise, the movement of vehicles outside the rig, and the general unease I felt killed it for me.  We ended up leaving around 3 am.  I wasn't sleeping anyway!

Utclmjmpr said:
Over the years we have "over nighted" at WM and found them well lighted, clean, and problem free.. Would not hesitate if allowed..>>>Dan
Same for us. Walmarts, Cabelas, Lowes and Cracker Barrel are all one night go to for us.

We've been cross-country several times in the past ten years and have been full-timing for the last three. Sometimes we're just trying to get to a destination and only need a place for one night - easiest thing for us is to drive until we feel like stopping (usually about 150 to 250 miles), call the local Walmart a few miles ahead and ask permission to stay the night.
Some allow overnights, some don't. Either way it's no problem and certainly not a big deal.

Dragginourbedaround said:
Same for us. Walmarts, Cabelas, Lowes and Cracker Barrel are all one night go to for us.

We stayed at Cabelas in Billings Montana this year. The rv and truck parking area had  a horse corral with straw and dog kennels with free dump and freshwater . Its right along the highway and a bit noisy until nightfall. Then it was nice and did not bother us at all.

Tom said:
I've never had that problem Bill. But it might have something to do with the fact that I've never had the need or the desire to camp overnight in a Walmart parking lot. Each to his own.

Times two here !

I never could understand why someone that can afford a gazillion dollar motor home wants to sleep in a Walmart parking lot

Jack L

JackL said:
Times two here !

I never could understand why someone that can afford a gazillion dollar motor home wants to sleep in a Walmart parking lot

Jack L

Forget for a minute that spending money for a regular campground may come into play. Throw that out the window.  There are times that your preferred or intended distances does not yield you a  country club resort that mirrors one of those gazillion dollar motor homes.  This is the case with my  rambling wreck TT anyway when choosing a Cracker Barrel or Cabelas. Both of those are much better than most Walmarts in my opinion anyway. Its more a matter of convenience in many cases even though I have only personally stayed in one walmart parking lot for about four hours for a rest.  But they are really nice for a mid day lunch stopover and in most cases are located without having to drive a ways off the beating path of an interstate or a small town highway when traveling the back roads.

PancakeBill said:
I call WalMart 'the Last Resort'.  I have stayed but never got a good night sleep.

Like any other area that allow free overnight parking including many rest areas, situational awareness is necessary.  We've been in one or two Walmarts where the first thing we did was to find an exit and leave.  In the vast majority of others where we've spent a night there was minimal concern.  While I prefer a darker environment for sleeping, in a Walmart lot, some light is a good thing.  For me, the concern today and until the economy is moving again, will be the increased number of folks that have no options.  Together with the half million or more homeless, it can easily get dicey.  Especially in highly populated urban areas.  Areas we choose to avoid.   

Sometimes you are just multi-day going to an "area" or destination. I use Campendium to plan the trip looking for free places to overnight. Walmart would be my last choice but if I do I will use the trick I learned when cross country trips involved hotel overnighting stops.

Look for a hotel or Walmart near a Border's bookstore - There aren't any Borders book stores in the dodgy parts of town. Before that it was hit and miss among 3 locations.  The "south side of town" where all the car dealerships are - not bad but isolated, Felony street, and by accident the ones next to Border's books...

Back
Top Bottom