Tow rating for 2007 Chev Silverado Classic 1500 4WD CREW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdfuller

Can you just verify I found the correct rating?  I looked at the Trailer Life table and I think my truck comes in at 7500.  I do have the 3.73 axle ratio and the heavy duty trailering.  I am looking at buying a 2005 Jayco Jay Feather 26 S.  The dealers says the GVWR is 6000 and the UVW is 4500.  Does this sound right?  Did I find the correct value for my truck?  Thanks a bunch.  I just wanted to verify before making such a big purchase (for me anyway). 

You appear to be reading the TL tow rating table correctly. One caveat - our towing experts recommend a 10% cushion if towing in the east or 15-20% if towing in the western mountains. Worst case, that suggests a tow rating of 6,000 lbs.

I'd look at the plate on the trailer to confirm the GVWR for the trailer you're buying, rather than rely on word of mouth. I looked at the Jayco web site and the closest I could come up with was a Feather 25LGT with a GVWR of 6,800 lbs. They don't show a 'S' model larger than the 218 for the current year, and they don't show the specs for prior years, only the standards and options. I might not be interpreting their web site correctly.

Thanks Tom.  Well we ended up buying a smaller 24' trailer.  Deal was too good to pass up.  I am going to be taking this to some football games this season.  After searching the forums I am sold on the Prodigy brake controller.  Now I am wondering if I need any sway control and/or a WD hitch or if I should just try it without first.  Man things are adding up :)

mdfuller said:
Now I am wondering if I need any sway control and/or a WD hitch or if I should just try it without first.  Man things are adding up :)

Absolutely, you need it!  Consider it a basic safety issue.   

Look at my rig.  That is a 5000 lb trailer being pulled by a off-road equipped vehicle.  It has a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch.  It needs that hitch, the rig should not be driven over 20 mph without it.

Congrats on the new trailer. I see Carl has responded and, being one of our towing experts, is far better equipped than I to answer your last question.

Congratulations on the purchase guys, and absolutely you will need the WD hitch.  Maybe or maybe not on the anti-sway, but it sure wouldn't hurt things either.  If you can get a WD hitch with the anti-sway with it, all the better.  I have a 26' trailer on the back of a F-250 and for my setup, I have not needed anti-sway yet, except for one exceptionally windy drive down I-10 one time.  But for the most part, the WD provides enough sway control for most normal driving.  That being said, when I start using my TT for longer trips and/or more often, the anti-sway will be there.

Anyway, have fun and enjoy the new TT.

Thanks folks!  Well I will do the WD hitch for sure!  Sounds like a no brainer.  I will do some more research on the anti-sway...

mdfuller said:
Thanks folks!  Well I will do the WD hitch for sure!  Sounds like a no brainer.  I will do some more research on the anti-sway...

What the anti-sway does is prevent the trailer from going into uncontrolled yawing when struck by a sudden lateral force like a a cross wind gust, the shock wave of a passing semii, van, or bus, or the lurch caused by a sudden steering manuever or pothole.  The yawing will drag your tow vehicle around the landscape and the natural tendency of applying the truck's brakes will only worsen matters -- even in extreme cases rolling the trailer.   The condition can sometimes be controlled by gradually applying the trailer brakes alone using the in cab controller while keeping your foot off the truck brakes and managing the steering.

But hey, you may well not experience the problem while you are researching the matter.   After all how many semis, vans, buses, crosswinds, potholes, and evasive manuevers does one encounter on the highways?

Buy the anti-sway system with the hitch.   You are betting a few hundred bucks against large, dangerous grief.

I sure wish I had the anti-sway and a WD hitch the one time I towed a heavy boat with a Ford Bronco. It was a 1-way trip to launch the boat that was going to be berthed permanently in the water. I hit the freeway and it wasn't too long before the boat and trailer were swinging uncontrollably back and forth across several lanes. It scared the heck out of me and I was convinced the trailer and the Bronco were going to flip over. As Carl said, applying the brakes made it worse.

I used to tow a 20' Skipjack, some two tons of boat, with a 1984 E350 Ford Club Van with the 460 ci V8 gasser.  The big van was a fair match for the boat, but it was still uncomfortable as hell when someone in a motorhome or a semi trailer passed us at 70mph.  I had a Reese Dual Cam rig from my old trailer laying around.  The genius running Garges (boat) Trailers down in Inglewood, cobbled up a way to use it on my boat trailer, surge brakes and all.  Jeez that made a difference in towing.  Even with that 146" wheelbase

By the way, WD and surge brakes do not usually mix.  However, the lad like I said was a genius trailer fabricator.  He rigged sliding supports for the chain lifts and cam arms.  It worked just fine.  However, folks, do not try this at home!

Carl L said:
But hey, you may well not experience the problem while you are researching the matter.  After all how many semis, vans, buses, crosswinds, potholes, and evasive manuevers does one encounter on the highways?

Thanks for all the info.  I meant research before picking up the trailer.  You confused me with this statement.

mdfuller said:
Thanks for all the info.  I meant research before picking up the trailer.  You confused me with this statement.

Apologies.  I misread it as you intended to run without anti-sway for a while to research it.  My bad.

Three styles of sway control are built into the weight distributing system of the hitch:  Hensley Arrow, Reese Dual Cam, and Equal-i-zer.  Most others use one or two friction bars fitted to the ball mount and trailer coupler frame.    Myself I like the former three systems because they are more positive in the setup and use the geometry of the trailer hitch or the power of the spring bars to control sway and yaw.  The friction devices need separate adjustment. 

Google the three on the web and see what you think.

That makes sense.  I am not picking it up for another week so I have a little time to figure out what I need.  I will do both (WD and sway) now after you folks talked me into it!

Is that Henlsey Arrow really 3 grand?  I almost needed some anti-sway on my desk chair as I fell off it when I saw the price.  I only paid 5 grand for the trailer.  Well I am off to check out the other two!

I think I am going with the Equal-i-zer.  I am guessing I need the 90-00-0600, but I am going to double check the specs on the TT before buying.

Is that Henlsey Arrow really 3 grand?  I almost needed some anti-sway on my desk chair as I fell off it when I saw the price.  I only paid 5 grand for the trailer.  Well I am off to check out the other two

Yup 3G.   Those that own them, including a (real) rocket scientist friend of mine, consider them the greatest thing since sliced bread -- positive control and easy hook up.  I once saw a Ford Explorer pulling a 28-30 foot Airstream at Monument Valley, AZ.   I have no idea how he managed to get so far alive, but his Hensley must have had something to do with it.

Well we just got back from the football game (about 500 miles) and the trailer pulled great with the WD hitch and the Reese anti sway.  I was going to get the Equalizer, but the dealer here installs the Reese system.  Thanks for all the advice.  I know it was the right thing to do!

mdfuller said:
Well we just got back from the football game (about 500 miles) and the trailer pulled great with the WD hitch and the Reese anti sway.  I was going to get the Equalizer, but the dealer here installs the Reese system.  Thanks for all the advice.  I know it was the right thing to do!

Excellent!  That is why we go to all this fuss over hitch systems and tow ratings -- so folks enjoy the towing as opposed to having to endure it.

Thanks to all.  I have to admit that without the forum I would have tried it without WD and anti sway.  Sometimes you guys are a pain, but I know you are almost always right!  LOL

Back
Top Bottom