Towing with one ton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airflyer

Hello everyone have a. question I own a Winnebago toyhauler 24 FQ
Specs are dry weight 6940 lbs  GVWR 10,400 hitch weight 760 lbs ,I do carry gas both tanks full and a four wheeler in it so I am easy at 10 k
I normally pull it with my 2010 tundra which actually works pretty well With WDH.
But I am buying a 2020 ram 3500 one Ton  high output diesel Payload 4K  23 k towing  hitch class 5 
With Sensor load Rear bags
My question is any reason to use WDH  With this truck other then maybe sway control
Thanks I appreciate your comments

Yes, use the WDH!!!  That hitch wt is for an EMPTY camper.  Your real hitch weight MUST be at least 10% of the ACTUAL camper weight, or the camper will sway you off the road!  11% or 12% is better.  This gives you a hitch wt of around 1000 lbs, clearly in WDH territory.

The hitch may be rated to carry something like 500# "dead wt" or 5,000# with a WDH.  That is hitch wt, not camper wt.  I am fairly sure your hitch wt will be well above the dead wt rating for the hitch.

To answer a question you did not ask, check the Payload on the yellow placard on the driver door latch pillar.  It is specific to THAT truck as it left the factory.  Depending on options, it could be several hundred pounds less than the published payload.    Add up all the weight of all the things the truck will be carrying, such as 4 wheeler, all passengers, fuel NOT in factory installed tanks, hitch wt, weight of WDH, firewood, tools, other toys, etc.  This should not exceed the yellow placard payload.  I think you will be fine, but you should check for safety sake.

Happy Camping!

K thanks For the info And time to respond
the actual door sticker said I had 3998 lbs payload  other then my wife and I and normal fuel in truck we don?t have more then 200 lbs of extra stuff in truck the four wheeler and everything else is in trailer it?s In the toy hauler In back with fuel and gear so not really worried about payload in truck bed we haul empty
But understand keeping weight off hitch
Reason I ask is when we haul 10 k 12k dump trailers  and skid loaders with one ton we rock them down the road without WDH and are way pass what weight my toy hauler will be

if you own a WHD use it it only takes a couple minutes to set it up, in windy conditions you will like it for the sway control as you mentioned but adding 1000 lbs to the rear of the toy hauler actually takes 300 lbs off the hitch - water tank location will also affect hitch weight. Got it? - use it. Dont got it? - If you find a smokin deal pick one up

NOTE - Gord is correct in checking the yellow decal ( drivers side on the door pillar yellow white "Vehicle capacity with all passengers must not exceed xxxx lbs")because not all trucks are the same i have seen 1tons with payload caps as low as 2315 lbs (2013 Ford F350 diesel king ranch, crew cab short box )

Your trailer tongue weight will be at lest 10% of the gross trailer weight, so you are looking at 1000-1200 lbs resting on the trucks hitch ball. Refer to the receivers deadweight (no WD) rating and the trucks Payload (Cargo Carrying) Rating to determine if it is adequate.  Some receivers are rated at only 500-1000 lbs without WD.

A one-ton truck can probably handle 1000-1200 lbs resting on the hitch receiver, but since you already own a WD hitch, why not use it?
The more tongue weight you have, the less tendency for the trailer to sway.  10% is considered a minimum safe tongue weight for an RV-type trailer and more is better if the tow vehicle can handle it. 12-15% is good and 20% should be rock-steady (5W trailers are typically 20-25%).

I really appreciate you all  for taking the time to respond
I do own a 1 k WDH hitch I will have to buy a sleeve for it or pay the money to upgrade shank
I will run it when we go

By the specs I lived risky with my 2005 CTD 3/4.  Pulled a GVWR 7000' trailer all day long with nothing but the tongue on the ball.  Pulled great and headlights were reasonable for those other folks on the road.

IMHO, if it squats your truck enough, level it with an extra spring or bags, people on the road will appreciate it.

Keep it safe, stay in spec and enjoy the road.....

-Chak

Back
Top Bottom