What kind of trailer hitch do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjclay15

I am currently in the market for my own RV, but first I need to add a towing package to my SUV. I drive a 2018 BMW X5 and I have been doing my own research, but I have a question. Which trailer hitch package would be the best? One that is pre-wired or one that I need to buy my own wiring kit? Anyone with experience with a BMW and towing a trailer have any advice? I am pretty good with wiring and working with my hands, so ease of installation isn't really an issue.

A towing package includes much more than lights.

What kind of trailer are you thinking?
Smaller, straight 4 pin, no brakes?
Med round 7 pin, larger connection, trailer possibly with brakes?
Being a BMW, and the inherent quirks of their master engineering, personally, I would get recommendations from a Dealer or certified BMW shop.  I would NOT do a splice job into the wiring harness.
Do your homework, smaller suv's in general do not play nicely with travel trailers (Maybe pop-up campers).  The wind plays havoc with their towing ability, and just because there is a spec they can tow xyz, that is based on a flatbed of steel, nothing like towing a trailer.

The kits with wiring are just a convenience for ordering, saves you some research and the actual ordering of separate components. The possible downside of a package deal is that you get the components the seller likes to sell, not necessarily the ones you would like to have.  Since you are a DIY kind of guy and probably have opinions about how to do it, I'd suggest a bit of research on light & brake components to determine your preference. Then, if there is a package that has the stuff you like, you can buy it. If no such package, order separately. It's not a big deal either way.

When choosing a trailer, stay well within the BMW's tow and payload rating. RV trailers have a lot of frontal wind resistance as well as a big sail-effect at the sides, so not an easy tow for a light duty vehicle.  You may well exceed the X5 payload rating before you reach the max tow rating. You must have at least 10% of the loaded trailer weight on the hitch ball, and more is preferable. Remember that the payload has to cover passengers and gear as well as the trailer tongue weight.

Thank you. I had thought that but needed clarification. My car has a 1100lb payload limit and a 5900 towing capacity. I?m thinking a trailer with an est gross weight as close to 3000lbs as I can get should be safe.

I highly recommend U-Haul. They installed a 1" receiver on my Toyota Supra when Toyota said it was impossible and a 1" receiver on my Toyota Corolla and 2" receivers on my Subaru Forester and the front end of my Ford E-350. Yes, front end. This seems to be U-Haul's strength.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/2018/BMW/X5-xDrive50i/All-Wheel-Drive/

Go get a BMW factory kit.  You will not be disappointed.  When we bought our Acura I looked at all.  Choose the factory one because it intrigrated seemlessly with the car.  On tho of that you will need a brake controller.  Prodigy seems to be the best, and they usually have a plug and play harness available.

cjclay15 said:
Thank you. I had thought that but needed clarification. My car has a 1100lb payload limit and a 5900 towing capacity. I?m thinking a trailer with an est gross weight as close to 3000lbs as I can get should be safe.

Is that 1100 number from the yellow sticker on the drivers door latch post?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom