If You're Headed to Grand Teton-BEWARE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kev, glad you're out and about.  We have a serious case of Rock Fever and the temp is rising.  Originally I figured we'd be on the road by the end of June.  Then Maria suggested maybe August or September would be better.  For now it looks like some time after the kids are back in school.  At least that's the plan if the school reopening works.  If not, who knows.  For now, it's looking like post Labor Day if all things Covid 19 don't go crazy. 

What's it been like boon docking so far?

Linda, same question. 

Kevin Means said:
Got it Gene. Thanks. The guy who delivered our pizza last night, and his wife, have lived and worked here for five years. He told us that this KOA was purchased by KOA corporate last year. I'm hoping that the quality and service remain the same, because it's a great campground.

Kev
I think I remember them. They started working there about the same time we started going there. Nice people. When we were going there it was family owned and run by the SIL, a tall lanky guy hard to miss (wish I could remember his name). We have a son in the area and their guest fees were crazy high. So, I talked to him about it and he gave us a pass for our son. He only used it a few times. At the end of our stay we gave him a $50 gift card as a thank you. The next year when we were trying to make a reservation they told us they were full. We started looking for some place else and KOA called back, said they had a site for us. I asked what happened and she said the SIL heard our name and set about finding us a spot.  :) We were camped near a few workampers and they were making good money besides the free site and electric. I hope corporate does right by them. Kid friendly and lots to do in the CG, they were very popular.

So is anyone at Gros Ventre or Jackson now? We should be in that area in a week and wondered about site

garyb1st said:
Mike, thought you were there a month ago.

I was, we got bored and too hot and decided to return to the higher elevations. We are planning to stay on the road until a major hurricane pops up .

Boat Addict said:
I was, we got bored and too hot and decided to return to the higher elevations. We are planning to stay on the road until a major hurricane pops up .
We were told that a large number (old brain can't remember exact number) of people left every day. Just get there by 9.30 and be prepared to wait and you should get a spot..

Alternatively.

You don't show your rig details but if you are not in a huge RV, there are a few forest Campgrounds down towards Alpine. We stayed at East Table and it was fantastic, no hook ups.

Or boondock somewhere along the Greys River Road.

Check these places are open.

Haven?t been there myself but I?ve heard from locals that the Grey?s and Little Grey?s River roads are packed with campers. Same for the Smith?s Fork road south of Star Valley, east of Raymond Mt.

We?ll likely do a day trip north of Cokeville or Kemmerer looking for a camp spot before committing to our traditional September boondocks trip. 

richclover said:
Haven?t been there myself but I?ve heard from locals that the Grey?s and Little Grey?s River roads are packed with campers. Same for the Smith?s Fork road south of Star Valley, east of Raymond Mt.

The above is correct.  Latest bad news is the piles of human waste - the Forest Service has reported it's one big toilet in the camping areas.  They brought in at least one porta potty, but there is no way that's sufficient.

I've kept up by getting daily news alerts about Grand Tetons via Google alerts in my gmail.  If one is headed to Gros Ventre CG, I'd get there before 7:00 AM as pics have shown campers lined half-way up the entrance road already at 8:00 AM.

Linda

I?m sorry to hear that , Linda!

Wife and I gave up the archery hunt a few years ago (whole month of September).  Too many people in the woods.  Sounds like we will forgo the September camp and stay home ...

Dreamsend said:
The above is correct.  Latest bad news is the piles of human waste - the Forest Service has reported it's one big toilet in the camping areas.  They brought in at least one porta potty, but there is no way that's sufficient.

I've kept up by getting daily news alerts about Grand Tetons via Google alerts in my gmail.  If one is headed to Gros Ventre CG, I'd get there before 7:00 AM as pics have shown campers lined half-way up the entrance road already at 8:00 AM.

Linda
Eek, that's really bad. I wasn't sure how busy the boondocking would be but I'm forgetting that some Campgrounds and lodges etc in the Yellowstone and Teton area are closed.  What a pain.

Sure wondering what September will be like... we generally head over that direction but the over flow this summer has been awful.. anyone have some insight for GTNP or West Yellowstone..????  For September.... ??

I hear trying to see anything in Yellowstone  is a joke too...

Things are lightening now.  Friends went to Gros Ventre and got in.  Plus many dispersed spots if you can fit.

Kevin and I are both anxious to get out again, but tales of overcrowding have held us back. Well, that plus so many of the tourists sites like museums being closed! We are now waiting on timing for Kevin?s upcoming cataract surgery, but if we can fit it in we will be going someplace in late September or October. Our only opportunity after that is January when we head southwest. September is still ok in Yellowstone/GTNP, but October is getting pretty iffy even for experienced cold weather campers like us. I just have the fidgets staying home so long.

We were going to make another long trip this year, heading southwest this time and then circling up through CA, OR and WA, heading back through MT, WY and finally seeing RMNP in CO before heading through the Midwest and back home. The pandemic changed our minds on that, but since we spent so much time and money renovating the interior of the coach, we want to use it to some extent this year and will leave tomorrow morning, heading on a shorter trip to the Midwest to see friends and relatives, and then to the Smoky Mountains. We will have to wait until next year to catch the Tetons and Yellowstone again. I already have an itinerary planned out and hope there will be a vaccine distributed by the time we are ready to leave in April.

UTTransplant said:
  I just have the fidgets staying home so long.

Pam, my fidgets are having fidgets.  Thought we'd be heading out late September as well but now Maria wants to wait until after the election.  Personally I think that's overkill.  For me, the virus is still the big concern.  I'll be looking closely at cases following the Labor Day weekend.  We should see the results of beach openings and holiday gatherings around mid-September.  I've been tracked virus deaths in California, Florida and Texas since July 1 and the results are pretty telling.  The causal relationship of increased cases and deaths following the re-openings is self evident. 

I still do not understand the absolute fear from so many rv owners, especially Class A bus drivers that's so fully self contained. With our lowly travel trailer we have done about 9 thousand miles if not more this summer since mid may and managed to eat anything that we wanted in our fancy hard side tent,  :D ;) and traveled just about any direction we wanted to with full facilities distancing ourselves from the herds of people without a lot of effort.  We went to Walmart about four times for some perishables, which is much less than we do if we are home. Plan for the worse and hope for the best and we are in the high risk category. But I just be dang if I am going to quit living my life in this vast open country that you can keep your distance with little effort. You can certainly protect yourself at most any refueling station too.  Just buy yourself a tyvek suit if you have any fear of brushing up against some tainted surface too. If things goes as planned we will be doing a early fall trip too that if things goes as planned will cover another  5 thousand miles too. I am already with the one I want to be with 24/7 and get plenty of lip service at my beckoning call.

Mike, please don't characterize my travel concerns as "absolute fear".  Personally, I am not concerned about dying from the virus.  I have a kick ass immune system, have never had a flu shot and don't recall ever having the flu.  My guess is if if I get the Coronavirus I will not know it.  My concern is for two of my daughters who have not been as fortunate and have impaired immune systems.  I will continue to have those concerns until treatments are perfected and or a vaccine is available.   

Let's not turn this into another go nowhere discussion about something that is relatively new, highly politicized and nowhere near being fully understood. 

garyb1st said:
Mike, please don't characterize my travel concerns as "absolute fear".  Personally, I am not concerned about dying from the virus.  I have a kick ass immune system, have never had a flu shot and don't recall ever having the flu.  My guess is if if I get the Coronavirus I will not know it.  My concern is for two of my daughters who have not been as fortunate and have impaired immune systems.  I will continue to have those concerns until treatments are perfected and or a vaccine is available.   

Let's not turn this into another go nowhere discussion about something that is relatively new, highly politicized and nowhere near being fully understood.
With all due respect, its not about all or nothing from me.  The amount of rv sales across the country says volumes about people finding alternative ways to still travel.  The roads from east to west in this country is like a mini rv show with wide open spaces and  the numbers of folks finding ways to still enjoy life in what appears to be the worse of times.  That's my point, whether it came across that way or not. I am a living example of modest means and in the senior years being able to still live somewhat a normal life. And If I can do it I will always encourage others to find a way and  consider not waiting too dang late in their lives. Over and out.

Back
Top Bottom