Watch the tides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Here's a couple of photos I snapped while at Oxwich Bay on the Gower Peninsula in Wales, UK. They show a dinghy and a jet ski high and dry at low tide. The tidal variation in the Severn Estuary and Bristol Channel is 40 feet, so it's only a matter of time before boats are on the sand.

Also attached are a few photos I took at Tenby, a harbor further along the West Wales coast. Note the boats in the sand, then a zoomed out shot, then a zoomed out further shot. All three photos were taken within a period of 30 minutes and illustrate the tidal movement that many folks underestimate.  The last photo of Tenby at high tide was taken by my niece, Leanne Francis. I'd been looking for this shot for many years and Leanne was the first to snap it for me.

Attachments

• Oxwich-sm2.jpg
    Oxwich-sm2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Oxwich-sm.jpg
    Oxwich-sm.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 32
  • Tenby_inside_harbor.JPG
    Tenby_inside_harbor.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Tenby_outside_harbor.JPG
    Tenby_outside_harbor.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Tenby-arial.jpg
    Tenby-arial.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Tenby_high_tide.jpg
    Tenby_high_tide.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 29
One big advantage of the Great Lakes is no tides :)

Ed, I think that local mariners need to be cognizant of tides or they'll definitely find themselves  blocked in or out of the harbor. An uncle and his friend used to keep a sailboat in Tenby harbor; If they were on board, as the tide started to ebb, they'd attach a couple of wooden legs, one to each side of the boat. When the boat was no longer floating, they'd know which side the boat was leaning and remove the other leg.

Creating moorings for the boats was simply a matter of pouring concrete in an old tire at low tide, be sure to insert a metal hook in the concrete, attach a line and buoy, then wait for high tide.

When we lived there and I used to fish the surf on one of the many beaches, I'd start at low tide and cast out a little ways, then continuously walk back up the beach as the tide came in. A long walk to go fishing and, at high tide, a short walk back to the car. Beach goers/sun bathers were similarly on the move continuously.

Tom- We have similar tides on the Bay of Fundy. Very dangerous. If you aren't careful the tide will cut off your access to shore, and the island you are stranded on will disappear. Not a comfortable situation. -Steve

Ah yes, I recall we visited Fundy rocks a few years ago. Here's a photo I took at low tide, one of a number I took in the area. The tourist information placard said that 100 billion tons of water moved in and out of the bay every 25 hours.

Attachments

• Fundy rocks.jpg
    Fundy rocks.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 29
With the long, shallow sloping beaches around the South West Wales coast, the RNLI lifeboat needs that long ramp way out there to launch. Their web site has a few successive photos of the Tenby lifeboat being launched.

Nearly forgot to mention the numerous RV/holiday parks in and around Tenby. You'll find a mixture of tent camping, "touring caravans" (aka travel trailers), "static caravans" (aka fixed location trailers) and park models.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom