L.E.D. lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0429BHSJAYCO

Just wondering if anyone has replaced any of their interior lights with LEDs and if so pros and cons ?, we do a lot of dry camping and looking for ways to extend battery life,  Thanks ,  Richard

Yes, love them for the low energy use but hate them for the high cost!

Got one at Quartzsite last Jan for $35.00. It was the last one the dealer in the big tent at the R show had. It puts out a bit more light than my 10 watt halogen incandescent for one tenth the amps. Would have gone back and bought 3 more as that would have improved the desk and kitchen lighting greatly.

This month at the Redmond FMCA, I found some similar ones for $20.00 each. I will be getting around to installing them this week now that I am back "home". Will report back on performance. After I process all the accumulated receipts, I will be able to give you the dealer's address.

I have a bunch of LED replacements for the bulbs in my rig and have swapped out some of them... The ones I have are IIRC 25 led arrays and are not as bright as the traditional bulbs.  however many of my light fixtures are 2 lamp jobs and you can select one or both lamps with the switch.. I've put the LED's in the "ONE" slot  Makes the lights way softer at night, and not much less brighter on high.  I'm expecting thil will extend battery life.

Point 2: I don't often change the LED bulbs... Incandasent need changing all the time

Next year in QZ I'm going to pull a fuse or two due to wife insisting on leaving some lights on all night and running the battery down

Only downside is that LEDs are much more directional than incandescents - they are "focused" lighting rather than area lighting.  We've changed our plug in night lights to LED types and now feel free to use them when boondocking.

John In Detroit said:
Next year in QZ I'm going to pull a fuse or two due to wife insisting on leaving some lights on all night and running the battery down
LED fixtures = $20
Roll of duct tape to bind wifes hands = $4
LOL
Just have to hope my wife doesn't see this.

rhmahoney said:
Yes, love them for the low energy use but hate them for the high cost!

High cost?  I'm confused.  Didn't you just replace your dash with a really neat computer screen?  ;D

Apples vs Oranges, Phil!

The dash is a TOY and cost is a much lesser consideration while lighting is utilitarian> Cost here looms big.

Why spend money on something that isn't FUN :)

rhmahoney said:
Apples vs Oranges, Phil!
The dash is a TOY and cost is a much lesser consideration while lighting is utilitarian> Cost here looms big.

Now I understand, Russ.  I can buy a new radio for my hobby just because I want it but I need to be frugal when I change a light bulb. 

It's time to call HRO.  :)

Phil

Or AES phil, or AES.

Just remember that though that new top of the line Yesau do everything box (What is that, a 7,000, or $7,000) is really going to be the smallest part of the total cost... IT is the "Extras" that really run up the cost...

You know:

The new carpet
The new couch
The new Washer and Dryer
The new Kitchen
The.. Well you get the idea......

John In Detroit said:
Or AES phil, or AES.

Just remember that though that new top of the line Yesau do everything box (What is that, a 7,000, or $7,000) is really going to be the smallest part of the total cost... IT is the "Extras" that really run up the cost...

Sorry John, HRO is the distributor for Tokyo High Power.  AES could not get me the HL-1.5KFX.  And, it's going to connect to an Omni 7, not a Yaesu.

I do spend a bunch at AES though.  They sent me an FT817 a few weeks ago.

Phil

So you are like me.. Some things I go to AES,  Some HRO, all depends on what I'm buying.

There are thigns about HRO I seriously like.. Of the 3 kenwood boxes I have, Two came from HRO. (The third is car audio (Am/Fm/Cassette/AV-In) and came from a local retailer/installer)

AES could not get me a replacment part from Kenwood, so I had to have it mailed to my daughter when I was in Vegas

Would have been so much easier if I could have had it mailed ot AES and picked it up there... Mail to my daughter's house does not always get delivered and/or comes up missing.. In fact a bunch of stuff, including the front door, came up missing yesterday.  She got home just in time to surprise the burgler and get part of his vehicle license plate and recover some of the "Loot".

John In Detroit said:
She got home just in time to surprise the burgler and get part of his vehicle license plate and recover some of the "Loot".

I hope they catch the burglar. Hopefully your daughter didn't come to any harm.

Daughter is fine, the only causalities were the front door, her cell phone, and of course her confidence in the neighborhood.

But she is fine... She has some good self protection "Tools" (Not hardware, but skills) so I'm not too worried about here physically.  Seems when she challagened the theif he dropped and ran... Which may or may not be lucky for him.  But she believes she recovered everything except her peace of mind and a couple pieces of cell phone,, Don't know how it got broke.

They have a bid in on a town house.. I Think they are going to talk to their agent about insuring it's the winning bid.

John, I am pleased to hear that your daughter is OK. She should keep her "Tools/skills,"  :eek: honed, even in the townhouse. Good luck to her.  ;D

Ray D  ;D

John In Detroit said:
Seems when she challagened the theif he dropped and ran...

That's one brave young lady. Glad she was unharmed and glad to hear she got (almost) everything back in one piece.

Back
Top Bottom