Tow ability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthornton

Being new to rv'ing I am skittish on pulling and parking one.  We are looking at a 20 ft bunkhouse to keep it small and easy. My question is: Is the difficulty level of towing and parking a 20 ft single axle much different than say a 26 ft with 2 axles?  Does the extra axle help any at all in maneuverability and tow ability. Thanks

No difference - the learning curve is the same either way and the number of axles by itself makes no difference. As far as maneuvering is concerned, the two pivot as one.

Obviously longer takes a bit more room, but the difference won't be very noticeable until you get near 30 ft.

To me it is easier to back up a longer trailer than a short one, plus you'll kike the room of a longer one

Indeed, at some point backing a very short trailer will get more challenging than a longer one. However, I think that point is rather less than the 20 foot single axle that kthornton asked about. Traveling forward, I don't think it makes a difference.

I recall one of my early pop-up campers that would jackknife in a heartbeat when backing if my attention wandered a bit. That one was only about 12 feet overall.

I think 18 to 22 is the magical number.  Every trailer I have of that length is easy to back.  My 10 ft welding trailer is a nightmare!

Josh

You will easily figure out how to pull either cart around.  The real question will be, do you have the right horse to do it.  An undersized tow vehicle will make any towing experience a nightmare.  I would begin with discussing your tow vehicle and what you safely can tow. Please do not rely an any salesperson for advise in this area, they just love to sell RVs. If that is all good, anything from 17' - 24' will just take short practice work.

The three key variables are the distance from the tow vehicle rear wheels to the hitch to the wheels of the trailer.

The shorter the distances between those points the more "sensitive" the trailer will be. Short coupling means you can turn the trailer easily but can also jack knife the trailer easily. A long couple means the trailer turns more slowly and is harder to get into tight spots.

The mechanics of maneuvering the trailer is the same however.

Don't be intimidated - Practice, practice, practice.

Back
Top Bottom